Calorie intake?

Options
Who all went with the 1200 calorie setting? I did cause I ...well...just did mainly cause I don't know what I'm doing! Hahaha
.when I do my BMR it says :

Maintenance: 1840 Calories/day
Fat Loss: 1480 Calories/day

So should I do the 1480? or stick with the 1200.....I want to lose and I heard if you don't eat enough it won't work...if you eat too much it obviously doesn't work!!

HELP ME PLEASE!!!!

Replies

• 123nikki123
    Options
    Stick with the higher amount! Your body can go into starvation mode if you don't eat all of your calories! The loss may take a little longer but it will stick with you and you won't feel starved.
  • chazspk
    chazspk Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I think id start off on the 1480 and see u can cut it down if its not working..:ohwell:
  • colletteoff
    Options
    The different daily calorie amounts depend on how rapidly you want to lose the weight. If you chose the "lose 2 pounds a week" option then the calorie limit is 1200. You will not go into starvation mode until you drop below 50% of your BMR so if you dip below 920 calories a day your metabolism will slow way down. At 1200 calories you should be just fine but if you're ok with losing weight as a slower pace, the 1480 option will be easier to stick with.
  • kelbel76
    kelbel76 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I started with the 1200 a day because I had it set to lose 2 pounds a week. I decided to change it to 1/1/2 pounds a week which made my daily calories 1350. I figured if I started a bit higher, I could break through a plateau if I hit one by still having room to go lower on the calories. People say that it gets harder the closer you get to your goal so I tried to build in a little wiggle room by not being at bare calorie minimum right away.
  • btrflyflutter
    btrflyflutter Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :)

I got in touch with a trainer/friend back home and she said to go with the 1400 so I don't starve myself but when I told her I had already lost 6lbs she said...well...you can stick with the 1200 and if I plateau out and can't lose anymore then up my calories to 1400 to kick start it again. I was doing fine the first week 1/2 but this week im just HUNGRY....I don't know if it's the 1200 calories, or if I am just not picking foods that will fill me with low cals....or if it's because it's time for my period! (sorry men) ...usually I eat more at that time.
    I have never counted calories in my life...never had a weight issue until I hit 37 and between then and now 42 my mid section has exploded!!! I feel like humpty dumpty! LOL....Ugh....

Anyway...it's all new to me and a bit weird but I'm liking it at the same time even though I may not fully understand it.
  • tasteoheavn
    tasteoheavn Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I started and have stuck with the 1200 plan but I've only been doing it for two weeks and its currently working for me. There will come a point when I can slow down my progress and I'm sure I'll switch at that point.
    51501 Posts: 4
    Options
    I'm giving myself a range. Minimum 1000 maximum 1425
    this gives me a chance to have a little extra if I'm so inclined. When I averaged it and worked out 45 minutes per day and drank my water, I lost more than 2lbs per week. Glad I found this website!