I'm so IRRITABLE!

Options
2»

Replies

• JeffInJax
    JeffInJax Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    To be honest my first two weeks of counting calories and being healthier in general, I had that constant fogginess in my head if that makes sense and was extremely irritable throughout the day. Most people avoided me in general. After those two weeks though it gets a WHOLE lot better. I think its just your body *****ing at you that its not getting what its used to.
  • Selah37
    Selah37 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Oh how I am feeling irritable too. :(
  • Michellekutz1
    Options
    somedays I just feel like I need more...so I eat it, but I make sure to burn those calories back off so I don't feel bad about it the next day, somedays you just will go over, have a plan :)
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    I cried for 3 weeks when I first started hahaha.
    Buuuut... i second the carrots thing! Dipped in salsa so that you can actually think of it as more of a pleasurable snack than a health food.
  • candyinmyheels
    candyinmyheels Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    can you make time for a workout? that usually cures my irritability (thank you, endorphins). maybe something like kickboxing or boxing, where you kind of hit things... there are some great video game fitness things too where you smash imaginary blocks (i only use PS360 but i am sure there are ones for the other gaming systems too).
    even just a 7 minute workout, something like http://www.7-min.com/
    of course the working out *could* make you more hungry, but maybe you'd feel better after...and it will probably distract you for a bit.
    make sure you are drinking plenty of water (honestly, sometimes this does help), get 7-8 hours of sleep per night if you can...
    and dude, some days you are just more hungry than others. i think it's ok to allow yourself an extra snack sometimes... but maybe try to keep it something healthy.
    if this is more than an occasional thing, it's totally worth considering upping your daily calories a bit.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Try eating more protein...I dont mean a little, a LOT! chicken breast, tuna, shakes, eggs...nothing fills me up like protein. If I was still cranky , I would just eat more. 1290 for someone your age and size is probably not enough.
  • tawnywest
    tawnywest Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have had many days like you and have given in to my cravings but not to the extent that I used to. You don't want to feel deprived. Show yourself you can go off track somedays but get back on track the next day. That too is a valuable learning tool. Even logging your "cheat" foods is good because it likely won't add up to as many calories as you think. I'm also on 1200 calories and when I've added up what I snacked on and thought it would be horrible I realized that many people on this site have the same number of calories as their daily weight loss calorie allotment. Try not to give in to your feelings of doom! Lol.
  • H4rpy
    H4rpy Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Eat a snickers.

+1

Full Snickers bar is 250 calories. You can pretend the nuts are the bones of your enemies.

I like you. Totally doing that the next time I have a Snickers. Thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • OysterKat
    OysterKat Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all of your replies! I really found a lot of good advice in this post :) I am doing much better now!
  • OysterKat
    Options
    get some air popped popcorn. there are lots of options now of prepopped popcorn that's super tasty. my favorite is at costco. its coconut oil and sea salt popcorn, i forget what its called. 4 cups of it is less than 140 cals. if you want to eat just for the sake of stuffing your face a snack like popcorn is the BEST. or, eat 1 oz of spicy beef jerky. the effort to chew it and the spicyness helps to make you more mindful of what you are eating and the calories are low but there's a lot of protein. or, string cheese and salami. 5 slices of salami are 100 cals and string cheese is usually 80, then you have a double whammy of good protein, plus fat, its satisfying especially because there's a lot of flavor. anyway, those are my fave snacks. they all help me feel satisfied when i have that urge to seriously stuff my face. i've been going at this for about 8 weeks, and i have not submitted to that urge yet :)

Did you ever find the brand of the Costco popcorn? I just got a membership!
  • OysterKat
    Options
    To be honest my first two weeks of counting calories and being healthier in general, I had that constant fogginess in my head if that makes sense and was extremely irritable throughout the day. Most people avoided me in general. After those two weeks though it gets a WHOLE lot better. I think its just your body *****ing at you that its not getting what its used to.

So true! Going on day 15 tomorrow and I feel WAY different mentally! My best friend and I are both on MFP and it's helping by having her do it with me as well.
  • k_nicole87
    k_nicole87 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Eat one slowly and take a big drink of water in between bites.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    No one can tell you whether you should eat more because your diary isn't public. So, it's hard to help.
  • conniekat8
    conniekat8 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Personally I get irritable when my blood sugar gets too low, a small carb/protein mixed snack (25-50 calories) usually fixes that. I'm prone to getting low blood sugar.
  • ConnorS879
    ConnorS879 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm on my second week of using MFP and it's been great! I'm losing tons of weight and normally I have been feeling super full.

BUT TODAY I FEEL LIKE I WANT TO POP SOMEONES HEAD OFF! I feel like I need to eat more and more to not be irritable. Does anyone ever feel like this?

I'm stressed and it's just making it worse.
    I have 243 calories left and I want to eat like 84834839 little debbie cakes.

What should I do?

everyone has ups and downs, I don't know how I'm still with my girlfriend with my temper tantrums when I'm irritable, maybe a high carb meal will sort you out
  • KaelaLee88
    KaelaLee88 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I agree with what a few others have been saying - I would look at upping my calories :)

Kaela x
  • LSinVA
    LSinVA Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 foot 2 doing 1290 calories want to get to 150 short term

Too low and you don't have much to lose. That 1200 calorie bs just doesn't work for most people. You'll be happier if you lose slower (.5 lbs per week) by increasing your calories.

You could probably go up to 1500-1600 and still lose depending on your activity level and you won't be grumpy. I plan to maintain at 1700-1800 and I'm the same height as you (weight would be 120). There's a misconception that short women need to eat like birds. Yeah, if you're 70 years old and sit around all day maybe...
  • gopgirl425
    gopgirl425 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I was in a pretty bad mood my first month but when you see the scale going down it makes it easier to get through.

Hang in there and Good Luck~!
  • shiningpotential
    Options
    You also may want to think about where you are in your cycle. I know that the week to week and a half before I start, I want to eat like crazy. I usually don't, but occasionally, I do have to give in a bit. I do try to exercise the additional calories off, and I try to only eat a small portion of the bad stuff (like chocolate, or whatever.)