Struggling with calories

Options
So in a typical day I can get through 1800 - 2000 calories but At the end of the day I feel full. I need to be eating more calories to put the weight on faster.

I have a good level of carbs fat and sugar and I am working on my protein intake

Can anyone suggest any calorific foods to try?

Please don't suggest peanut butter - I cant stand it XD

Replies

• Megmo127
    Megmo127 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    So in a typical day I can get through 1800 - 2000 calories but At the end of the day I feel full. I need to be eating more calories to put the weight on faster.

I have a good level of carbs fat and sugar and I am working on my protein intake

Can anyone suggest any calorific foods to try?

Almond butter and coconut oil! Coconut butter is also AMAZING! I love it on sweet potatoes and waffles!

Nuts in general are great and not too filling so you can get a good amount of them and not feel like the blueberry girl from Willy Wonka. Try adding some nut butters into smoothies or yogurt. Full fat yogurt is also another good protein & calorie rich option!
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Do you drink coffee? If so, try it with heavy cream or whipping cream instead of milk or half-and-half.

Also...ice cream. Hands-down, the best part of trying to gain weight is that ice cream becomes a health food.
  • teeya1984
    teeya1984 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Cashews! I love em! Unfortunately I do not need to put on weight so we are on a break for now.

Avocados are really calorie/fat dense and it's great to spread on a sammich :)

good luck!
  • mszsun
    mszsun Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    All of the suggestions already given to you are good. I especially agree with eating more nuts (if you don't have any allergies). Macadamia Nuts are a good choice, very calorie dense...something like 700 calories from 100g? I can eat all of that without feeling too full and I got to say I can't eat large portion meals so that really is saying something! Good luck :)
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Read your profile, and looked at your photos, and I do not see someone who looks like a 'skeleton' at all ? I am guessing in terms of size, you are a Uk size 10? Which is really not that small with today's vanity sizing... I do not know if others have been commenting on your appearance, but I just wanted to say, I personally think you look fine and healthy.

That said, try nuts, seeds, porridge(oatmeal), avocado, full fat dairy, such as cheese and yoghurt, add butter and cream to things, have a dessert after dinner each night and enjoy, cashew butter is amazing as an alternative to peanut butter and there are some protein bars that hit 250-300 calories if at a push. Ice cream, as someone already said, is a good one, or frozen yoghurt even. Try just adding extra snacks in, and have something before bed if you can manage it.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

:noway: :sad:
  • lookin4gains
    lookin4gains Posts: 1,762 Member
    Options
    I put down a lot of avocado, quinoa is also is a power food. I guess all types of nuts are out if you don't like PB. I get soo sick of eating trying to hit 4000 a day. Especially if your eating healthy
  • Alice_in_VVonderland
    Alice_in_VVonderland Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Nutella? Tastes nothing like peanut butter, but has the same calories and makes a great ice cream topping.
  • joepage612
    joepage612 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Jarrod Leto said on Television he gained a hundred pounds or whatever for a role, by melting hagen daz ice cream in the microwave and drinking it.
  • goshnames
    goshnames Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Also...ice cream. Hands-down, the best part of trying to gain weight is that ice cream becomes a health food.

This is what I miss the most about needing to gain weight. Ice cream EVERY DAY.

Clif bars are also great!
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Blue Diamond makes these dry roasted flavored almonds...seriously amazing! I love the blueberry, strawberry, and raspberry ones.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    There is not nearly enough ice cream in this thread.

Ice cream is without peer as a good source of mass calories.

Its like the old Miller Lite commercials: tastes great and less filling.
  • Owlibee
    Owlibee Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Read your profile, and looked at your photos, and I do not see someone who looks like a 'skeleton' at all ? I am guessing in terms of size, you are a Uk size 10? Which is really not that small with today's vanity sizing... I do not know if others have been commenting on your appearance, but I just wanted to say, I personally think you look fine and healthy.

That said, try nuts, seeds, porridge(oatmeal), avocado, full fat dairy, such as cheese and yoghurt, add butter and cream to things, have a dessert after dinner each night and enjoy, cashew butter is amazing as an alternative to peanut butter and there are some protein bars that hit 250-300 calories if at a push. Ice cream, as someone already said, is a good one, or frozen yoghurt even. Try just adding extra snacks in, and have something before bed if you can manage it.

You can see my bones on all three pictures and how my clothes hang off me

Yes I am a UK size 10 but I am underweight

Ice cream seems like the nicest idea for me :)
  • Owlibee
    Options
    Have you tried Nutella? Tastes nothing like peanut butter, but has the same calories and makes a great ice cream topping.

I am addicted to nutella, Have it on everything and dip most things into it as well XD
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Personally, w/o an open diary so that we can see what you ARE eating, I don't think suggestions are helpful.
    Allow others to see what you have been eating and what your meals are like.... You'll get better answers.

btw, I also hate peanut butter, mayo and cheesecake but they are all quite caloric????????????????????????
  • Stopin_da_yoyo
    Stopin_da_yoyo Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Did u even look at some protein shake or bars..if your just looking for caloies for a snack those are pretty good....they are always heavy cals.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    on your profile you say you want to be curvy, not skinny, but unfortunately you cant really change your body type very much even by gaining weight. adding some muscle may give the impression of more curves, but you cant do anything about genetics!

i'm presuming you're quite tall if you're a size 10?
  • Owlibee
    Options
    on your profile you say you want to be curvy, not skinny, but unfortunately you cant really change your body type very much even by gaining weight. adding some muscle may give the impression of more curves, but you cant do anything about genetics!

i'm presuming you're quite tall if you're a size 10?

I Use to be 10 stone and was very curvy, got lots of compliments for it :)

I am 5 foot 6
  • Owlibee
    Options
    Personally, w/o an open diary so that we can see what you ARE eating, I don't think suggestions are helpful.
    Allow others to see what you have been eating and what your meals are like.... You'll get better answers.

btw, I also hate peanut butter, mayo and cheesecake but they are all quite caloric????????????????????????

Yesterday

BREAKFAST: Two portions of bran flakes with whole milk

LUNCH: Tuna and cheese sandwhich

DINNER: Roast chicken breast with 12 roast potatoes (preperared with two large tablespoons of butter) and half tin baked beans

SNACKS: Two packs of hula hoops, chocolate bar, portion of jelly
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options

You can see my bones on all three pictures and how my clothes hang off me

Yes I am a UK size 10 but I am underweight

Ice cream seems like the nicest idea for me :)

I wish I had a Monty Python gif from the Holy Grail "Just look at the bones!" So, a good (healthy) sized rabbit (google search rabbit stew healthy 14 day diet) could fill you up, preferably white. Or steak, or ice cream, or pork, or ice cream, or venison, or ice cream, or beef jerky, or ice cream, or alligator, or ice cream. I think you get the idea, a little protein, and a little(or lot of) ice cream.