Half marathon question !!!!!

Options
_Josee_
_Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
Hi runners!
I'm signed up for a half marathon in September. I would like to shave some time of my last race result.
Is it possible? What is the best way to do it? Any special workout that worked for you?

Thank you for your help!

Replies

• schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Depends why physiological system you need to improve. How many mikes a week will you run during training? What time do you want? What us a recent 5k time (good performance). I think you did a marathon? What was that time?
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Hi runners!
    I'm signed up for a half marathon in September. I would like to shave about 5 minutes of my last race result.
    Is it possible? What is the best way to do it? Any special workout that worked for you?

Thank you for your help!
    mile repeats. just more miles. i went from 1:50 to 1:40 by just the experience of knowing what to expect and what i could do. i just ran more mid range runs of 5 to 7 miles.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Without knowing what you did to prepare for your last half it is hard to say. Speedwork and tempo runs if you aren't doing them already.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Eat more apples.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Eat more apples.

Dammit you took my answer.

I guess I'll go with whip yourself with a riding crop.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Get a baby and a running stroller and a down hill course.

Maybe twins.

Or you could borrow my 4 y.o. she's pretty heavy.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Eat more apples.

I was gonna say apples too. Lol

Drink more Canadians (beer).
  • _Josee_
    Options
    It seems like I need to specify some things:
    - I didn't really train for my last one (April 27th 2014).
    - I ran a marathon May 25th 2014
    - I would like to finish under 1:40 in September
    - My last 5K time is 22:57

Also, I don't understand what apples have to do with running? Am I missing something?
  • _Josee_
    Options
    Hi runners!
    I'm signed up for a half marathon in September. I would like to shave about 5 minutes of my last race result.

Thank you for your help!
    mile repeats. just more miles. i went from 1:50 to 1:40 by just the experience of knowing what to expect and what i could do. i just ran more mid range runs of 5 to 7 miles.

What are miles repeats?
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Hi runners!

Thank you for your help!

What are miles repeats?
    run a mile much faster than you half marathon mile pace. walk for a few min. repeat. they r a ***** but effective
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options

Also, I don't understand what apples have to do with running? Am I missing something?

Running is all about apples.
  • Bounce2
    Bounce2 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Consistent speed work in your training plan (tempo, intervals, ladders etc). I hate running fast with a passion, however these are the only things that make me faster. Increasing weekly mileage works for some people, possibly more for beginning runners?

My running is all about the chocolate.... You can keep the apples :laugh:
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure watermelon is better than apples. :) Run 35ish miles a week. More is better if you can do so without building too quickly. Ideally 5 days a week. One day long, two easy, one tempo and one some type of interval. I'd alternate between 1 mile intervals one week and maybe 800m-1200m the next just to keep things varied. Long and easy runs around 8:30. Tempo around 7:15 and one mile intervals 7:00ish
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Do a lot of tempos runs around 7:30-7:40.. Sub 1:40 is 7:38 per mile... I get ready for 1/2s by doing lots of tempos not really much speed work
  • CPrun1
    CPrun1 Posts: 550
    Options
    I am pretty sure watermelon is better than apples. :) Run 35ish miles a week. More is better if you can do so without building too quickly. Ideally 5 days a week. One day long, two easy, one tempo and one some type of interval. I'd alternate between 1 mile intervals one week and maybe 800m-1200m the next just to keep things varied. Long and easy runs around 8:30. Tempo around 7:15 and one mile intervals 7:00ish
    Totally agree with this answer except for the watermelon. These guys are messing with you! Bananas are the way to go!!
  • _Josee_
    Options

I'm actually around 35-40 mpw. I'm already running 6 days a week. One longish, three easy, one tempo and one interval at 5K pace.

So basically I keep doing what I'm doing and I'll get faster?
  • RunnerInVT
    RunnerInVT Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Eat more apples.

So we are apple cleansing on half training too? I go with the beer too, or apple beer to be safe.
    I thought you had a full in Sept. Josee?
  • jeets888
    jeets888 Posts: 2,237 Member
    Options
    With those times it seems that you have the answers.

Agreed with alot above:

Experience, fartleks, tempo runs, cross and core training (spinning i find is great as well), squats & lunges and the variations, hill repeats.

So much you can do - just a matter of what works best for you and the time you have available for training.

Quality over quantity always.

But you have fabulous times as it is ... well done...
  • _Josee_
    Options
    Eat more apples.

So we are apple cleansing on half training too? I go with the beer too, or apple beer to be safe.
    I thought you had a full in Sept. Josee?

I have a full October 19th.