Loose Skin

Options
Okay so this is my first post. I hope it's in the right section? I know this has been discussed before but, I'm looking to go from 293lbs to 150. 143lbs gone. I know that the least helpful thing in this regard is to do it quickly, but I feel like I just need this. So I've really only just started and I feel pretty good, I feel like as long as I can see some genuine results in a month or so (like 10lbs would be nice), I'll be pretty happy, and hopefully plenty motivated to go on.

However now I've started thinking about, and looking into, the issues of loose skin. I remember thinking I was overweight in the Fourth grade, but everyone tells me I was pretty scrawny even in fifth grade. Either way, I've been overweight at least since middle school (grades 6-8 here), and now I'm 18. So probably around 8 years. I'm really scared of all the loose skin. It feels like it's going to be this big punishment for being overweight so long, even after working hard to get rid of it. If I lose the weight, I'll have loose skin, if I somehow came up with money for surgery to get rid of it, I'll have huge scars. It feels like I'll just never have a body I can be fully proud of. I know exercising and the fact that I'm young can help. But still, 143lbs... It's definitely not all going to shrink back. I'm going to talk to my doctor but this feels pretty soul crushing. You guys probably dislike ambiguous posts but, any advice?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You are 18. You are very young. The skin issue is like a lottery (no way to know) but it can have a lot to do with age.
    Focus on dropping the weight. Your skin might be fine.
  • krazykhris875
    krazykhris875 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Frankly the slightest reassurance generally makes me feel better so I appreciate that. :P
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Genuinely loose skin isn't that unattractive. Flabby skin from not losing all of the weight that a very overweight person needed to lose can be an eyesore.

I've noticed a lot of once very overweight people who get skin removal are really getting a lot of fat removed. Skin is pretty thin, it's not thick like a down comforter or anything. Yet what these people are removing is thick like a down comforter. They still have lots of fat. Lots of mushy fat acting as weights on their skin and dragging it down.

Regardless, it's all better than being very overweight. The remaining mushy fat and truly loose skin is all better than being very overweight.
  • david6111
    david6111 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The main thing is, don't be too quick about losing weight.

If you go slow and steady (your 10lbs a month is ideal) your beautiful youthful skin should have no trouble staying nice and taut. Go ahead with your plan, don't be discouraged by the ups and downs of steady weight loss, and you'll be so delighted with where you get to in a years time. Good luck!
  • AvonBell
    AvonBell Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    To add to what Lourdesong wrote, not only is skin thin it's also quite elastic. If you can keep the weight off it will tighten up over a few years.

I don't think anyone should think about loose skin until after they have lost the fat because it can only serve to demotivate but at your age and at your weight I don't think you have much to be concerned about in the first place.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Be sure and incorporate some weight training into your weight loss program. I know cardio burns more calories but weight training will give you muscle definition and help prevent some of the issues with loose skin.

When I was was 17 (many, many years ago) I lost 70 lbs. Loose skin was not a problem for me and honestly, I lost weight too quickly. The bulk of my weight loss happened in about 7-8 months. I wish I had added in weight training but it just wasn't something most people did back then (in the dark ages):wink:

Take care and good luck to you with your weight loss!!
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Well our starting weight and goal weight are exactly the same, but I am 20 years older than you and I had been fat my whole life. I am down 97 lbs and so far my skin isn't too bad. It goes through phases were it looks bad but then after some time starts firming up nicely. So given your much younger age and much less time being over weight I say there is definitely hope for you!

Good luck
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Skin comes down to genetics, but you've got youth on your side. In an ideal situation, your weight loss will be gradual, and your body will be able to keep up with it, and you'll have minimal looseness, if any.
    Now, if you were going to try to do this later on in life, your skin loses elasticity and it might be unavoidable.

Regardless, just remember: we all get wrinkly and saggy eventually, so don't sweat it!
  • ScottDowell
    ScottDowell Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Loose skin occurs through the disappointing side effect and effect of major weight loss. It is very difficult to bring the skin in its original form without surgery. You can apply several natural ways to tighten your skin, by having balanced diet, regular exercise and moisturizing overall body will help you to tighten your skin. The effects of natural way is depend on age, and how long skin was stretched.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of its genetics and age. Mine is not too bad, mostly rather then loose skin, it's more wrinkly like an elephant lol. Its definitely worth it though.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I knew a woman on here who lost a lot of weight and purposely went real slow, even stopping and doing maintenance for a month or so here and there to let the skin catch up, and weight lifting, that is the key too...

Not only did she have NO loose skin, she was smoking hot sexy when it was done.

IIRC it took about 2 years to lose about 130 lbs.

Don't rush it if you want to be happy in the end without needing surgery.
  • GeekdGirl
    GeekdGirl Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    My highest weight was 252 lbs and I'm down to 169 lbs. I don't have any loose skin at the moment (I'm still losing weight and I've taken a couple years to do this). Take your time. The loose skin issue is, well, an issue. You may have it, you may not. Someone said that loose skin is better than fat-filled skin. That's true. It's always better to be healthy.

So, my two cents on the matter: take a chance, lose weight slowly (no more than 2 lbs/week on average), eat right, and exercise as you go (this will help tone your skin as you lose the weight). You are young and your skin will probably rebound just great.
  • krazykhris875
    krazykhris875 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks a ton everyone, I feel much more reassured now!
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options
    Hello! Oh I know so much about this feeling :) I have so much loose skin :) I went from 469.5 to 265. and I still have about 100 more to lose. I have about 30-40 lbs of lose skin currently. :) While yes its annoying because I have to wear sweaters to cover my arms because i dont like the hanging skin or I have to buy 1 size bigger than I should need to in jeans. I am still so very happy! I could not image being like i was. I will take the lose skin anyday!! Some of it has went back such as under my chin etc and now I have started strength training to help anymore. Do not let lose sking be a reason to stop you. Take it from me!!! :)
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I've dropped from 279 to 189, with 15 lbs to go.
    Does my belly sag a bit due to a little loose skin (and some remaining fat)? Yes, a bit.
    Do I look better now than at 279 ... WAY BETTER.
    Am I happy with my progress ... YOU BET!

You will gain so much by losing that weight. Focus on that side.

Added: I'm WAY happier about how loose my pants/trousers are after losing 90 lbs, than worried about how loose my skin might be.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Genuinely loose skin isn't that unattractive. Flabby skin from not losing all of the weight that a very overweight person needed to lose can be an eyesore.

I've noticed a lot of once very overweight people who get skin removal are really getting a lot of fat removed. Skin is pretty thin, it's not thick like a down comforter or anything. Yet what these people are removing is thick like a down comforter. They still have lots of fat. Lots of mushy fat acting as weights on their skin and dragging it down.

Regardless, it's all better than being very overweight. The remaining mushy fat and truly loose skin is all better than being very overweight.

THIS.

A lot of times "loose skin" is filled with fat. Even surgeons will tell you it's excess skin, yet remove all these folds of adipose tissue in the removal. A very lean body with very low bodyfat percentage looks totally different with actual loose skin than just a much-less-fat-but-still-fat body does, which is what you typically see with excess skin.

Yes it exists, and could happen, but it's not as common as most people think. I know that in my journey so far I've had periods where parts of my body had that "loose skin" look. My inner thighs, for example. If I had acted like so many other once obese people, I'd be crying that my thighs had "loose skin". Except, no, I just had to keep losing more body fat and eventually they lost that look.

The best way to determine how much actual, true excess skin you might have is to get a really lean body with very, very little fat. If you aren't willing to cut your bodyfat level down that low, far lower than what is "normal", then surgery might be your only option if you end up with that loose, flabby look.
  • lukewind
    lukewind Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Look, you have stretched your skin out a bit being that size, but you are young and that is a big plus.

Some will say that the skin will snap back, but that is not always the case (have to be honest), but do not let that stop you from reaching your goals. I started at 538lbs and no matter how slow I lose my weight I am gonna have a hell of a lot of extra skin, but I am not letting that keep me from reaching my goals.

I know that I am gonna have to have surgery when I am done no matter what yet I am gonna keep going, even if I look like a deflated balloon when I am done. Lose skin is better then diabetes or heart disease.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it sounds like you're looking for excuses not to lose the weight. As in, "if i can never have the perfect, tight skinned, scarless body, is it even worth it?" Also, the comment that you'll hopefully be motivated if you see a change in 1 month. One month is nothing. Are you really going to give up after one month? Saying that before you've even started may mean you're not ready.

It will take you approximately 1 full year to lose the first 100 lbs, if you're diligent and lose 2 lbs/week, which is very hard to do every week consistently. Then, add another 15 weeks (nearly 4 months) to lose the next 23 lbs (since you should slow your weight loss as you approach your goals which will make you more successful with daily calories, help you transition to maintenance, and help avoid loose skin), and another 20-30 weeks (5-7.5 months)t o lose the last 20 lbs. So, if you're dedicated to this, you can lose all 143 lbs in 1 yr 9 months - 2 years. This is a long time period. A lot can change in 2 years. Why worry about what you might hate about your body 2 years from now?

As for the actual Topic of loose skin, anyone who has it will tell you that it is better to be fit with loose skin than unfit with tight, bulging skin.

Don't get into the mentality that it's too late. It's not too late as long as you are ready to work to change.