Just wondering

Options
Hey I was just wondering about something. If I have eaten over my recommended calorie intake, does it really matter much if I'm consuming a lot of water? I have tried to google it but can't find any info.

Replies

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    It does matter because water, while great for overall health, does not negate calories consumed. In the grand scheme of things though, being over one day won't make or break your progress. Over all you just have to be in a caloric deficit or eat less food than you burn to lose weight, whether that's over the span of a week, a month, etc
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    How would extra water negated calories consumed? Do you think that somehow you can wash out those extra calories with some extra water?

That would be great! But, no, it doesn't work that way.
  • jessmcanulty
    jessmcanulty Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    How would extra water negated calories consumed? Do you think that somehow you can wash out those extra calories with some extra water?

Lol yes I was hoping in that way how we go to bed fat and hope that we magically wake up skinny.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Um. The water will help you not be thirsty?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

Lol yes I was hoping in that way how we go to bed fat and hope that we magically wake up skinny.

You've been here almost a year - I'm concerned that the most basic info about weight gain/loss has failed to reach out and whisper sweet secrets into your ear, so I'm going to suggest you read a few of the threads on starting out. You'll find those stickied about the place - or in my profile.
  • jessmcanulty
    Options
    Thanks, I was only interested as iv read a lot about how drinking cold/ice cold water burns calories as the body needs to warm the water so I was wondering if you drank a lot of water throughout the day and burnt something like 3 cals with each drink would it balance it out if you were only over by 100cal.
  • jessmcanulty
    Options
    And also the fact that drinking water regularly can increase your metabolic rate, wouldn't you burn the food faster!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I suggest reading the links in EvgeniZyntx's profile...

...and *not* following the advice given in the MFP-sponsored blog posts.

Drinking excess water does absolutely nothing for your metabolism in any measurable way.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    Thanks, I was only interested as iv read a lot about how drinking cold/ice cold water burns calories as the body needs to warm the water so I was wondering if you drank a lot of water throughout the day and burnt something like 3 cals with each drink would it balance it out if you were only over by 100cal.

If you are only over by a hundred, it doesn't matter. It's all estimates. Read the links, focus on the majors, not the 3 cals per drink as a minor elements.

33 glasses of water versus 15 minute of exercise. Hmmm.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I suggest reading the links in EvgeniZyntx's profile...

...and *not* following the advice given in the MFP-sponsored blog posts.

Drinking excess water does absolutely nothing for your metabolism in any measurable way.

For emphasis.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Step away from the gimmicks!
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options

Step away from the gimmicks!

LOL :heart: