Unsure how many calories to eat. Please help?

Options
Hi kids,

I'm still considerably overweight however I've just found out I'm expecting a baby. Obviously I want to do what is right for bub, I'm not sure how many calories I should be eating. One of my pregnancy apps say that 9 kilos is the most I should gain throughout the pregnancy.
Should I be eating to maintain my current weight (plus a couple hundred extra calories for bub) or is it ok to eat to lose weight (plus a couple hundred extra for bub).
I am due to see my doctor this afternoon but I was just after the opinion of others who have maybe been through the same situation.

Thank you :)

Replies

• terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    You should talk to your doctor about this. The most important thing is to do what is right for your child. Congratulations!
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    It is my understanding that you should not try to lose weight while pregnant. It isn't good for your baby.

If you must count calories, spark people has a site designed for pregnant/nursing women. There is a lot of good information there. Congrats on your upcoming baby!
  • Jess__I__Can
    Jess__I__Can Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    You should talk to your doctor, and true, you should not try to lose weight.

HOWEVER

You will probably lose weight and become healthier if you make healthier food choices and do pregnancy approved exercise. Talk to your doctor, who could give you guidelines for food, or refer to to a nutritionist. The most important thing is eating enough to take care of that baby, and keeping yourself healthy to carry the baby.
  • hj1119
    hj1119 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'll probably be in the minority here.. but I think it's okay if you end up losing weight as a result of making healthier choices for the baby.

I personally feel it's less healthy to be obese and pregnant than pregnant and losing weight. That said - I would shift your focus not on losing weight but eating healthier for the baby. When I was pregnant, I focused on eating the right kind of foods, eating small meals often, staying away from junk food and eating tons of fresh produce. I also made sure to get over 100g of protein a day. I also listened to my body - when I was craving milk, I drank some milk. I also walked at least 5 days a week - very slowly in the last few months, but I still walked. The dog learned to walk at my pace. :) I had a planned homebirth so it was important to my midwives that I try to have a healthy pregnancy.

Congratulations on your baby and best of luck!
  • Twisted_sista
    Twisted_sista Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!

I will go back and see my doc and get her to refer me to a dietician. Ultimately I just want to do what is right for bub.

:)
  • dragonflyjill
    dragonflyjill Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hey! I agree with what has been written here. Contrary to popular belief you do not need to add that many calories for pregnancy. I think only about 100-200 extra calories with your hunger as a guide. Many people go nuts on the food in pregnancy thinking they have license to scarf everything in sight. It is all about quality and nutrients. During breastfeeding, however, you need 400-500 extra calories a day.

I am sure your doctor will have advice, but a dietician is an even better bet.

And congratulations!!!!
  • JaneyB311
    JaneyB311 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Firstly, congratulations on your pregnancy :).

You don't actually need to eat any additional calories in trimester 1 and 2 at all. In the third trimester you only need to up by around 200 calories per day.

I am no doctor but I can share my experience as a mother classed as 'obese' at the time of my pregnancy. At my first ante-natal check I discovered my BMI was 40 and I was therefore considered a high risk pregnancy. I was mortified and so upset, but also worried about the potential risks to my baby, including the increased chance of me getting gestational diabetes.

I therefore made very healthy choices right through my pregnancy, and I was incredibly lucky in that the majority of my cravings were for fruits (bananas one week, then oranges, then mango and so on!!).

As it turns out, I managed to maintain my weight right through pregnancy, which basically meant that I actually did lose weight off my body while the baby's weight made up for it. Consequently, when I stepped on the scales 2 weeks after the birth, I was 18lb lighter than at that first appointment.

If I were you I would just concentrate on eating good quality food that will nourish you and the baby and not going crazy with the 'eating for two' and things will work themselves out. I hope you have a great pregnancy :)
  • CassieJohnson68
    Options
    Use Online calculator for measuring calories :)
  • hj1119
    hj1119 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    If I were you I would just concentrate on eating good quality food that will nourish you and the baby and not going crazy with the 'eating for two' and things will work themselves out. I hope you have a great pregnancy :)

I couldn't believe how many people said that to me while I was pregnant - eating for two. *shakes head* My response was usually "My baby is the size of a lima bean, it really really really doesn't need extra chocolate chip cookies."
  • JoeCampbell85
    Options
    My ex, with whom I have a child with, attempted to curb weight gain during the last trimester of pregnancy and this resulting in my daughter having visible signs of weight loss as a newborn (saggy and overly loose skin). While this hasn't had a long term effect, it's a little scary. Focus on eating healthy and giving your child what they need, then lose the weight.
  • megs283
    megs283 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My problem is that I always want more food (second and third helpings). When I was pregnant, my appetite was suppressed during the first trimester - everything smelled disgusting and I had a bunch of food aversions (basically anything that smelled like food - garlic, onions, peanut butter, curry, you name it, it made my stomach turn). By the time that passed, my stomach felt squished and I just didn't have room for second or third helpings - one serving was plenty, or even a tad too much. I also ate healthier when I was pregnant...I found it easier to make better choices because I was more internally motivated.

All of this is to say that you might surprise yourself! You shouldn't restrict calories when you're pregnant, but you shouldn't go overboard, either. But I don't think many women have the room to go overboard! I definitely recommend discussing this with your doctor - but I hope you're pleasantly surprised by your relationship with food while you're pregnant. I sure was. :-)

Prayers and blessings for a happy and healthy 9 months for the baby! Congratulations on your little one.
  • Tippy05
    Tippy05 Posts: 43
    Options
    First of all, CONGRATS!

Second of all, I agree with most -talk to your doctor. When I was pregnant I was told to focus on eating healthy and not to worry about eating extra calories (you aren't eating for 2, that's ridiculous). Moderate exercise is ok (walking, swimming...) but was told not to increase my heart rate/body temp too high. I'd say for now, focus on having a healthy pregnancy and you can work on losing the weight later.