Is this Broscience? Or just one of many opinions?

Options
wozkaa
wozkaa Posts: 224 Member
A friend of mine is a recently qualified personal trainer.
On her blog she was saying how important it is to have a big breakfast, medium lunch and small dinner with healthy snacks between. Her nutritionist told her that.

So... the big breakfast, small dinner idea. Is there a basis for this, other than some people don't like a big meal in the evening because it doesn't fit their lifestyle?
I just worry that she's new to the industry, and might be taking someone's word as gospel because it work for her.

Replies

• sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    broscience, to an extent.

It is a good idea to have breakfast, but it is not really necessary to decrease your calories as the day wears on. It doesn't matter what time you eat either.

blessings.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Shrug.

My opinion on that is that it's a coping mechanism. Some people need these sorts of rituals, it's comforting I suppose. I don't suppose it matters much and if it makes 'em feel better to eat like that, then more power to 'em I say.
  • Annesoucy1957
    Options
    I do not think there is proof to this saying, but someone following this advice would not suffer. In french we say :

At breakfast eat like a king
    At lunch eat like a princess
    At supper eat like a butler
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Your instincts are right; it's a question of lifestyle. You want to go to bed with a big full tummy? Go for it. You want to stave off eating until noon? Go for it. Simplified, as long as your net intake is negative, you lose weight.
  • klfoster88
    klfoster88 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    It's not necessary, but I guess it could help someone who needs all kinds of crazy food rules to lose weight.

It would never work for me though. I tend to skip breakfast and eat a big dinner so I'm not starving when I go to bed. I'm going to say bro-science simply because calories cannot tell time and don't care when you eat them.
  • JonnyQwest
    JonnyQwest Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Calories in/ calories out.....eat when you are hungriest. Don't over complicate it.
  • erinelissa91
    erinelissa91 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I am the opposite. I eat a tiny breakfast because anything except coffee in the morning makes me want to yak but I force myself to eat something. And I usually increase as the day goes on. Maybe not the best technique, but it has worked thus far. I think it's just an ideology that doesn't have a lot of proof behind it. Although, they do say breakfast is very important and should include a big helping of protein to boost your metabolism for the day and keep you fuller longer.

My theory: do what feels comfortable for you.
  • wozkaa
    wozkaa Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback.
    I like my dinner to be savoured, and higher calorie than my breakfast. Breakfast (usually oatmeal) is shovelled in while cleaning the kitchen or giving breakfast to my kids.
    Dinner is after the girls go to bed, and I like to take my time and have something tasty with a sweet afterwards - it's working for me so far.
    She gets up early and trains before breakfast, so it makes sense that a big meal then might suit her.

I consider myself fairly uneducated in nutrition compared to some, but I do my best and learn where I can. I must disagree with the 'this is the only way' idea that was being put forward by my friend, but wasn't sure since she's the one that has lost 75kg (Yes, KG) and has embarked on this new career - I've never spoken about dietary intake with a nutritionist, personal trainer, dietician or other health-focused prefessional so I thought I might just be a naive little pleb. LOL
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    More proof (not that any was needed) that personal trainers should not talk about nutrition. They are the biggest purveyors of myth and dodgy science out there. Meal timing and the size of those meals had nothing to do with weightloss and is personal preference.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    For a lot of people, eating larger meals earlier in the day helps them make better food choices and control calories.

If you can control calories regardless of your meal timing, then don't worry about it.
  • RyanG2106
    RyanG2106 Posts: 29
    Options
    It's Broscience. Nutrient timing (unless your an elite level athlete) will have no bearing, its calories in/out that make the difference in simple terms
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Sounds like she's just parroting back what nonsense she heard somewhere.

I rarely eat breakfast.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I say broscience.

I eat very lightly throughout the day because I want to save around 1000 calories for dinner. I knew from the very beginning that I wouldn't be able to part with my big dinners, so I make my calories fit around it.

People should do what works for them.
  • monolith66
    monolith66 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I think it's a matter of preference. In my diet, I like to have more carbs upon wake up before gym time for energy and as the day progresses and my carb intake is sufficient I taper them off towards the night and include more fats instead to help with satiety.
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you do, as a personal trainer who I would expect to be active, then a large breakfast will probablyu give her the necessary calories to start and keep going and towards the end of the day when you're not as active you need less calories, there is also the 'it kick starts your metabolism' after fasting over night, which I agree with to an extent as eating will increase the metabolism just to digest the food. But also read continually about people that exercise on an empty stomach to encourage calorie burns (don't know why but it's sticking in my head that a lot of boxers do this).
    I fuel in the morning depending on what I'm doing, most times I will eat a bigger breakfast and smaller dinner as by the time I'm finished I can't be bothered cooking a big meal.

I have always heard the
    Breakfast like a king,
    Lunch like a prine
    Dine like a pauper
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I've been a certified personal trainer for 18 years, a certified sports nutritionist for 10 years, have a bachelors degree in exercise physiology with a minor in nutritional science, and am working on my masters in exercise science so I can say for certain that your friend doesn't know what she is talking about. It's sad to say but personal trainers are only given a cursory education in nutrition and have no legal ability to recommend anything nutritionally. Even certified nutritionists can't prescribe diets in most states. Only registered dietitians can prescribe specific diets in most states actually. Our scope of practice as a personal trainer basically says to refer to a dietitian or the federal food guide. A nutritionist can get a little more specific, and could give those recommendations your friend listed. However, they aren't backed up by the latest research. Thats the drawback of certification. Whether it is personal training, group exercise, nutrition, whatever, it is packed into a day or a few days of education and isn't as comprehensive as the education required to become a registered dietitian. While my minor in nutrition was almost a second degree, it still isn't enough to sit for the RD test because it didn't come from an accredited RD school or include an internship. Thankfully, though, I did learn where to look for the actual research and not fall for whatever someone else tells me. Eighteen years ago, when I was first certified, though, before I had the opportunity to actually learn anything, I might have fallen for that too, though. So, don't be too hard on your friend, just know that anyone who is just beginning a new career, regardless of the field, is still learning. Maybe just introduce her to Pubmed (www.pubmed.com) where she can do the actual research on her own. ;-)
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I do not eat breakfeast I am not hungry so I do not eat I guess in a sense I do but not until 10:30. And I usually eat smaller during the AM and early afternoon and larger (snacking) in the PM. Try to keep things reasonably healthy and im a strong believer in calories in vs calories out and it does not matter when those calories go in. I will eat about 1 hour before my run nothing worse then being in a middle of a run and getting very hungry. I personally think it just depends on the individual and their persoanl needs and or preferance And what you are trying to accomplish.
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I doubt theres any true study on it...or perhaps they are working on the case now lol. But the whole idea is most americans dont eat dinner til 6 pm...then they climb into bed at 8...when there dinner is still digesting...so by consuming a smaller meal, theres less to digest? Lol. My take on it....not to mention...depending on fhe size of breakfast...by dinner...u could have possibly burned off all those breakfast calories....by bedtime :) again im no personal trainer or anything...but ive seen both sides of the table. In my time ive dond a lot of fasted morninv cardio....before breakfast...and then my breakfast becomes my lunch...lol i love breakfast foods