Losing & Regaining the Same Calories

Hi everyone!

I'll try to keep this short. I've been on and off the weight loss journey for around 4 years now. I started off at around 170lbs and lost around around 12lbs through lowering my calorie intake and doing some yoga (this was around 4 years ago). I then decided that I felt happy at that weight and stayed at around 158lbs for the next 2 years. I then met my boyfriend, got engaged and decided that I should aim for my perfect weight (125lbs) in time for my wedding next July (2015).

So, I started running and watching my calories. I entered myself into a 10K race and completed it in 55 mins which i was quite pleased with. I currently weigh 145lbs, 20lbs away from my goal weight. I have a year to lose this weight. My problem is that I will lose a few pounds and put them back on again. I'm not sure whether it is my diet or exercise regime. I admit that I haven't been clean eating, however when I do stick to 3 square healthy meals a day i am under my 1200 calorie allowance for the day which concerns me (usually around 1000/1100). I am exercising around 4 times a week - internal training on the treadmill (300 cals), x trainer (200 cals), kettle bells, zumba, yoga etc.

I would like some tips on how I can get down to my goal weight. I'm pretty convinced that the exercise part is right, but perhaps examples of foods to eat at breakfast, lunch & dinner would be helpful.

Thanks for reading!

Suni x

Replies

• suni1984
    suni1984 Posts: 8 Member
    Sorry, title should have read "Losing & Regaining the same pounds" - clearly got calories on the brain!!!!
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    It's normal for weight to fluctuate up and down, up and down. If you watch your salt intake and drink plenty of water, these fluctuations may not look so wild and disappointing. The bottom line is: if you are consuming less calories than you burn, you will lose weight.
    Oh yes, and try to eat plenty of fibre. It really does help to keep you on the right track.
  • SweeDecadence92
    SweeDecadence92 Posts: 218 Member
    If you don't already you should log all your food to see where the fluctuations are coming from.

Another thing to look at is how your logging you exercise calories as the calories given on here can be rather generous.

However as a woman, some amount of weight fluctuations are completely natural, due to hormones. For me thats easily an extra 5lbs
  • suni1984
    Thank you for the encouragement guys! I have to admit that there are a few things that I could do better as in:

- diligently log my food intake everyday
    - ensure that I drinks plenty of water (weekends are my downfall)
    - not indulge in as many treat days while I am trying to get to my target weight
    - watch my salt intake over the next couple of months - which again can only be done if i log all of my food on here

Fingers crossed that by doing the above I can spot any patterns that are emerging. I do feel like losing the weight from 145lbs onwards has been really difficult, but I have heard that the last few pounds are often the hardest to lose.

I'll keep going, fingers crossed I reach 125 soon! :)

xx
  • KLangleydoula
    KLangleydoula Posts: 1,494 Member
    Hi! My name is Kim and my weight loss journey began two years ago. I was at my heaviest (225) and things were not good. I couldn't keep up with my kids, I was tired all the time, and my doctor told me that my cholesterol was on the rise! I decided something needed to change. I started walking, and eventually doing some weight training. I am down over 75 pounds! I feel so much better, and I love supporting and encouraging people to do the same. I would be happy to be an accountability partner with you. I still have some weight to lose, so we can work at it together! Getting your nutrition under control is a big key to losing weight. I can share what has worked for me if you are interested. If you work hard, I know you can reach your goal! So what do ya say? Are you in?
  • blb85
    blb85 Posts: 187 Member
    I think you should stop obsessing about the actual scale measurement; and be more focused on how you feel you look! Sometimes working-out causes us to retain water, in which case, will make our scale measurement seem like we are heavier. But I guarantee, if you are working out as much as you say you are, then you are more than likely gaining some muscle and burning some calories (which the calories in vs calories out is what it IS actually all about). Focus on how you vision yourself in your dress! You may be surprised that what weight you think you want to be, and what you want to look in your dress; could be two different things entirely!
  • suni1984
    Hi Kim, thank you for the encouragement! I will add you and hopefully you can steer me in the right direction! x
  • suni1984
    Hi blb85 - thanks for the advice! I think you are right in that I am way too focused on the number on the scales. I will take my measurements tonight and stay away from the scales for a couple of weeks, focusing more on how I actually feel!