Has anyone experienced this?

Options
13»

Replies

• jwooley13
    jwooley13 Posts: 243
    Options
    I see a lot of really great advice on this thread so far. I fully believe you that 1500 calories in a meal can feel like a binge for you - from your photo it appears that you're a rather petite woman and a lot of the people saying "well I eat 1500 calories in a meal" are men trying to bulk muscle. Obviously their goals are not yours, and likely never will be even when you get to a healthy weight.

If money is tight and therapy isn't an option, check out http://www.anad.org/eating-disorders-get-help/eating-disorders-support-groups/ to find a local support group. It's totally free and having an open conversation with other people in recovery could be very helpful. I believe there may even be some online versions offered.

Best of luck, and feel free to add or message me if you ever need someone to talk to.
  • LC458
    LC458 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    http://www.anad.org/

Big congratulations first and foremost for you being in recovery!! It is such a hard road but believe it or not you made it through the hardest part, acknowledgment and admitting it would kill you and ultimately moving forward towards recovery.

I was a volunteer for the above group and I really liked their mission and work that they do. They offer several resources. Please look over the website and see if there is anything there to get you professional help and/or support group. Do not go through this alone please. Best wishes to you sweetie.

-recovered anorexic
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Let me start by saying I have no experience with EDs (that I know of haha), but I'm losing a pound per week eating 2500 calories a day. I know it's frightening to you, but ride those "binges" girl and learn to enjoy food. That food fuels your amazing body. You can do it.

As for exercise, skip any cardio you may be doing and stick with weight training. With your calorie surplus, you will build muscle instead of gaining fat. More muscle means a stronger seat, better balance, and clearer leg cues. As you get stronger, you'll notice things like how much longer you can work in 2 point (even without stirrups), and how your arms don't get tired anymore when grooming. I know skinny horse girls like to say things like, "You can't be too thin to ride," but that is a load of BS. A strong rider is much more balanced and still than a skinny rider can ever be.

Take it from a 40 year horse nerd. :wink:
  • tdl10
    tdl10 Posts: 1
    Options
    try and plan out your meals and stick to your plan. When you feel a binge coming on then go for a walk or do something else to occupy your time other than food.
  • Brooke4206
    Brooke4206 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I am going though a similar situation and am looking to talk to someone who has recovered from an eating disorder. Please message me.
  • mimieon
    mimieon Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    On a non binge day I'm eating like 2500 cals! My bmi is 17.2... And I do around 600-1000 cals of exercise a day...

If you do that much exercise a day, and you need to keep doing so much exercise for your ambitions as a rider, you will need to up your calories way more to compensate for that exercise, as well as for your recovery. Maybe this extreme hunger will settle a bit if you are eating at a calorie surplus consistently so you can recover.

Are you currently gaining weight, losing, or maintaining weight?
  • Jamal_Guildford
    Jamal_Guildford Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    For what it is worth:

"Binge" eating is extremely common in people recovered/recovering from AN. The normal hormonal feedback governing appetite is derranged, and takes a very long time to re-balance (even after reaching healthy weight it can go on for months or longer).

Strategies to reduce the 'binges' and the mental fallout include:

1) Ensure you are eating enough calories, no sly 'skimping on portions' or 'forgetting' to eat
    2) Include planned snacks throughout the day, you should be having three main meals and three snacks, so you do not go longer than about 3 hours between eating something
    3) Eat a balanced mix of carbs/protein/fats, and aim for slow-release energy sources (eg complex carbohydrates with some protein and fat at the same time)
    4) Ask friends/look on MFP to get an idea of what other people eat, and you will see that what you call a 'binge' may be a regular meal for someone else
    5) If you do have a 'binge', be kind to yourself. See if you can work out what triggered it & how to reduce the risk of it happening again, then start over with a 'clean slate' (i.e. no compensatory restricting or extra exercising).

:flowerforyou:

I think it's also important to have one or two treats a day.