PICKLES!!!!!!!!

Options
I just found out that dill pickles are a ZERO calorie food. So excited. Going to put that one on my snack list. Anyone else know of other ZERO calorie foods? I eat a lot of vegi's but have yet to find one that is zero calories. They are low mind you, but my guess is that pickles is not the only one out there.

Replies

• Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    Pickles are not zero calories. Pickles are made of cucumbers and other vegetables occasionally. Pickling them doesn't erase their calories.
  • Genetic_Drift
    Genetic_Drift Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Shape.com gives a dill pickle 8 calories.

http://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/diet-tips/50-tasty-foods-under-50-calories/slide/8

See also this article on "Negative" calorie foods. Even raw celery still has calories, and you won't burn them just by eating it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21723312
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Pickles are not zero calories. Pickles are made of cucumbers and other vegetables occasionally. Pickling them doesn't erase their calories.

Pickling secretly transfers all calories in the vinegar and the now pickled cucumbers have actually become ghost food!!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,088 Member
    Options
    According to the lable on my jar of spiced gherkins (which I think are what you call pickles) they are 584 kj per 100gm.

Converts to 139 calories.

I'm not sure how much a single gherkin would weigh.
  • donutmom
    donutmom Posts: 12
    Options
    It say's on the pickle jar that it has zero calories. Maybe it depends on the brand but the one's I have at home say it is zero calories.
  • donutmom
    Options
    What is a Ghost Food??? What does that mean???
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    It say's on the pickle jar that it has zero calories. Maybe it depends on the brand but the one's I have at home say it is zero calories.

The FDA has mandated that food which has less than 5 calories in a "serve" (the serving size to be arbitrarily set by the manufacturer) can round down and label the food as 0 calories. so a food that has, say 49 calories in 100 grams, but with a serving size of 10 grams, can legally label it as 0 calories per serving.

They are very low calorie. They aren't no calorie.
  • carlywifeybrown
    carlywifeybrown Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Even though most pickles are not zero calories, they are still exceptionally low. I love pickles and have several jars of different types in the cupboards for me to snack on - I always get hungry about an hour before bed and these are a guilt free snack!

Love pickled baby beetroot, onions (the spicier the better!), gherkins, whatever I can get my hands on!
  • paperpudding
    Options

Does not depend on the brand - none of them are zero calories.

Depends on where you live and what the labeling laws are in such place - as someone else said, in USA they are allowed to call very low calorie items zero calorie.
    In Australia all items have to be labeled x amount per 100g or 100ml.
    Hence the difference.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    What is a Ghost Food??? What does that mean???

Poster was just being silly and made it up :wink:
  • Genetic_Drift
    Options

Zero calories per how much?

My guess would be, that if they're clever, the manufacturer sets a serving size which is less than half a calorie, then rounds down to zero on the nutritional information.

How about the macronutrients? If it has even the tiniest bit of carbohydrate, even "less than 1g", it's not possible to be zero calories. Basically anything that's a food and a solid and cannot be "zero" calories!

Another thing to be aware of; even though pickles are low calorie, the pickling means they have a lot of sodium, which can add up and end up being rather unhealthy.
  • Genetic_Drift
    Options
    Ah now I saw the post on the FDA rules. So essentially, they are allowed to lie!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    common sense ?
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Really 0 calories?

I had to go check the pickles I have:

Serving size: 1 oz (28 g) = about 3/4 of a spear
    Calories 5

So no they are not 0 calorie, they are low calorie
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I love pickles, but have to watch the sodium. They are a great snack, or eating while you're cooking, takes the "bite" off your hunger. Remember to log though. :wink:
  • donutmom
    Options
    Really people!!! Some of you are acting like I advertised the pleg on here. I just read the label and got excited about it. I would think that if it was wrong, that would be considered false advertisement. I wasn't planning on eating a jar of pickles either. Just figured one once and a while would be a good craving curb and snack.

To say to me "Common Sense" was rude. I'm not trying to steer anyone a wrong way. I just read the label and seen zero calories and got a little excited. Honestly, the negative responses on here just make me want to never post again.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Really people!!! Some of you are acting like I advertised the pleg on here. I just read the label and got excited about it. I would think that if it was wrong, that would be considered false advertisement. I wasn't planning on eating a jar of pickles either. Just figured one once and a while would be a good craving curb and snack.

To say to me "Common Sense" was rude. I'm not trying to steer anyone a wrong way. I just read the label and seen zero calories and got a little excited. Honestly, the negative responses on here just make me want to never post again.

Please don't just take on board the responses you see as negative. It's a lesson - you've learned that the FDA says companies can fudge the truth, and that you can't trust every label. Try not to let any offence you take from replies overshadow a valuable learning experience.
  • iamasnoflake
    iamasnoflake Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Very low calorie, but high sodium.
    Great snack choice if you have no problems related to sodium intake.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Please don't be so sensitive. If you want to post you will aways get positive and negative----remember you're talking to the world here. I thank you for bringing up pickles, which I love. The information outweighs the rudeness, methinks. You are close to correct about the calories. Pickles are probably one of the tastiest low cal foods around. You should post, that way we all learn something new. I did. Best. :smile: :flowerforyou:

PS: I love your profile pic.