Not weight loss but a massive success for me.

Options
My husband persuaded me to try badminton at our local leisure centre. We just had a knock about for an hour but omg I had so much fun.

I was at school in the seventies when PE teachers took sadism as part of their training course. Overweight kids like me were a target and of course because I was picked on by the teachers I was fair game for the other kids too. Every PE lesson was torture. Humiliated for my size, my lack of ability and even for sweating and getting out of breath.

I know it sounds dramatic but I was scarred for life. I have actively avoided exercise for the last 35 years because I couldn't bear the thought of being sweaty and 'disgusting' (one of teacher's favourite words).

Today I discovered that leisure centres can be friendly places and no one judges, mocks or humiliates you. It's OK to be out of breath and sweaty. As my husband keeps telling me, it shows that your body is working. So I kept telling myself that and had a great time.

So, striking whilst the iron is hot, I've invested in a swimming costume because I figure that as no one laughed at me on the badminton court they may not laugh at me in the swimming pool. I can't swim but I'm sure I can learn if I can just get passed the sadistic teacher created mindset.

Replies

• ballito
    ballito Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Well done. Good on you. I too hated PE. Had the worst teachers. :flowerforyou:
  • vampirequeen1959
    vampirequeen1959 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    PE teachers were total sadists. I swear mine enjoyed humiliating me as if I deserved to be punished for being overweight and therefore useless at sport. In the end you take on board their views and believe what they say and feel you deserve the way they make you feel.
  • KerrymBurgess
    KerrymBurgess Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    What an amazing step for you, well done !
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,360 Member
    Options
    What a great mind shift you've had, nothing stopping you now :)
  • iamasnoflake
    iamasnoflake Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Good for you! You go girl!
  • BettyBombshell6
    BettyBombshell6 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    This is great! You should be proud! :) There's a sign at one of the places I take classes that says, "Sweat is fat crying." I love that lol. I hate being sweaty too but at the same time I love it, 'cause it means I'm working hard. Congrats on your success!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Happy NSV (non-scale victory)!
  • debneeds2beskinny
    debneeds2beskinny Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    congratulations - this will open so many doors for you.
  • Jillish23
    Jillish23 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    As my profile picture shows, I honestly feel that a lot of us on MFP have an inner battle to fight in order to deal with the outside. Sincerely, well done to you and I hope you enjoy swimming! It's on my ''list'' for when I lose a little bit more... :smile:
  • oedipa_maas
    oedipa_maas Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    This is fantastic. What a huge leap forward! This was a good lesson for me to absorb too. Thanks for posting it!
  • jessmcanulty
    jessmcanulty Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    That is great to hear, I might do something like that aswell.
  • r5wr
    r5wr Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Badminton in the pool = THE BEST! :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!