eating before working out

Options
Hi guys
I'm trying to work out before work which is anytime between 6am - 8am. The problem is I get halfway through and can't continue because I'm so hungry! I don't have time before work to eat breakfast and then let my meal digest so is there any small snacks that you would recommend eating before a workout? At the moment i'm having to work out when I get home from work which is a bit of a pain for me but I don't have any energy otherwise
Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Try a protein shake?
  • GradatimFerociter
    GradatimFerociter Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I used to have coffee and occasionally a banana . Just experiment and see what works for you, plenty of people use dedicated pre-workout supplements but coffee does the job. Well, honestly, as I'm addicted it doesn't actually give me any additional energy it just stops me dying inside. :p
  • Ryderod
    Ryderod Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    There are a few things you can try, a good protein shake or meal replacement shake will work, as well as a banana as mentioned.
  • Hilauren
    Hilauren Posts: 18
    Options
    Try a protein shake?

Is a protein shake okay to drink right before a workout without leaving any space inbetween? Also is it okay for purely weight loss or is better for muscle building? I always had it in my head that protein shakes make you bulky and interfere with fat loss
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Nuts and raisens, sugar burst and potein. :)
  • HereWeGoAgain7
    HereWeGoAgain7 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Banana and a tablespoon of peanut butter is my go to. Have had it 20 mins before a workout to right before one and still had the energy to finish.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    I *have* to eat or I get too shaky during a workout. I don't leave much time since I don't really have it. I've had no problems. However, I would say for me, I wouldn't want a bunch of liquid sloshing around in my stomach, but that's just me.

I'm choking down some cereal and a banana then out for a run.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I always had it in my head that protein shakes make you bulky and interfere with fat loss

no.
  • JGonzo82
    JGonzo82 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I always had it in my head that protein shakes make you bulky and interfere with fat loss

no.

x2.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,431 Member
    Options
    I eat a slice of ezekial bread with almond butter then jump in the car with my coffee and head to the gym. I can't workout without eating something or I can't finish either. I also can't head straight out for a run after any of this-nature WILL choose an inopportune moment to call!
  • jessilee119
    jessilee119 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    These are good suggestions. I would sometimes also have a glass of milk. Another thing I like to sometimes do is get a half a banana and slice it open. Spread some peanut butter on each half and top it with some shaved dark chocolate. Carbs, protein, and sugar...and it's delicious!
  • jessilee119
    jessilee119 Posts: 444 Member
    Options

no.

x2.

I used to think the same thing. Then I realized that it was because I was having it in addition to all my other foods and going over calories for the day (this was before I started counting calories). Now I work it into my calories and, as you can see from my ticker, I'm not gaining weight.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    My favorite snack before working out is a piece of toast with peanut butter. Light, but still satisfying.
  • kel1042
    kel1042 Posts: 1
    Options
    Im on a fat loss journey and protein shakes do not interfere.

i have a black coffee with coconut oil if its fasted cardio first thing, then have my normal breakfast once i'm washed and dressed, which is usually when at work an hour later.
    If im doing my weight training with my PT i sometimes have a small (1 scoop) of protein mixed with almond milk beforehand to give me energy or i go light headed due to the intensity. I will still have breakfast about an hour afterwards.
  • Hilauren
    Hilauren Posts: 18
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'll be trying them all and hopefully i'll be getting through my morning workouts a lot better!
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I try to have a little something before working out to help keep me going, I've even brought a sandwich to the gym on a few occasions. I just try to avoid eating something super filling like Chipotle before working out, the burrito mile isn't fun :P