How many calories after exercise?

Options
Hi, I've been swimming for the last 7 weeks & so far lost 16 pounds. The only issue I have is that I go in the evening & afterwards I am literally starving! How many calories should I save for after a workout?

Replies

• WAS287GOAL170
    WAS287GOAL170 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the 16 pound loss! I think swimming in general can make you hungry. Make sure you are DRINKING WATER while you swim., Dehydration is huge for swimmers. And that if you are swimming for a while make sure you have eaten enough protein to fuel your swim. So you are swimming after dinner? I would just eat back 1/2 of the calories you burn during your swim. I usually burn 400-500 according to my HRM, So about a 250 calorie "snack" Something with protein for sure to refuel your body and LOTS OF WATER!!!! Good Luck! :smile:
  • kboy1983
    kboy1983 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks for the info!! I normally go swimming at around 8:30pm for an hour. By that time I have had my dinner & have used all my daily calories. So do you suggest I either wait till afterwards to have my dinner or save 250 calories for a post swim snack? Thanks
  • WAS287GOAL170
    WAS287GOAL170 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Neither, You get extra calories for working out. Dont wait that late to have dinner, you need food to fuel your workout. I would eat dinner at your normal time then have around 250 cal snack when your done kicking your fins. :) CALORIES IN - WORKOUT CALORIES BURNED= NET CALORIES. So i get 1430 cals per day, if I go swimming i burn 400-500 of those 1430 so I am "netting" 930-1030 calories. So in order to meet my goal of 1430, You can eat back your exercise calories but only 1/2 since there is no pure way to tell EXACTLY how many calories you burn during a work out but you can get a reasonable estimate with a HRM.