Eating too few calories

Options
After planning my days meals my fitness pal tells me I am eating too few calories but if I add more I would be exceeding my sugars and protein...Should I be overly concerned with one over the other? I know I can eat veggies like crazy to balance that out but I wouldn't be able to maintain it as I'm not much of a veggie person. I am concerned with the sugars and protein as I am a type 2 diabetic with stage one kidney disease. Any tips would be helpful please.

Replies

• ktab96
    ktab96 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Unless you are a diabetic, where you have to watch your sugar, stick to your calorie target. Eating too few calories can actually slow your metabolism and cause you to gain. The body goes into self preservation mode.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    And MFP is low with protein and fats, so assume they are minimums. Since you are diabetic and have kidney issues, I would alter your macros to include more fats. But you should also talk to a doctor for specific needs for you
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Well since you have medical reason's to watch those numbers I would speak to your doctor on what levels are appropriate for you.

Then work with that number by setting them manually...

As for what you could do in the mean time try adding more calorie dense food into your daily intake such as avocadoes to sandwiches and burgers, full fat milk/dairy, if you eat lite or low fat or non fat things like mayo etc change to regular fat.

that will help get your calories in.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Unless you are a diabetic, where you have to watch your sugar, stick to your calorie target. Eating too few calories can actually slow your metabolism and cause you to gain. The body goes into self preservation mode.

I agree with the first part of your statement, but eating less than you should will not cause you to gain weight. Don't spread misinformation.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    If you open your diary people can see what you have planned to eat and maybe make some suggestions of some other foods that might help you make your calorie and macro goals.:smile:
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    In addition to consulting a dietitian, it would help you greatly by planning ahead of time. Populate your food diary for a few days or a week in advance. Print those and take with you to the market. This way you could make sure you are getting in the proper amount of nutrients.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor to refer you to a Registered Dietitian that specializes in diabetes and renal disease. Doctors don't have much of any nutrition in their education plans, so please go to someone who does have that education since you are dealing with health issues. Once you have numbers from your RD, then you can plug those numbers into MFP and eat according to those goals. I know that with renal disease, the RD will want you to eat closer to 0.6 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight, which is lower than the normal recommendation and will diabetes you will need to combine your sugars with protein and fat in order to slow their absorption and the spike in blood sugar that accompanies eating sugar alone. But I'm not an RD (my minor was in nutrition but my school didn't have a nutrition bachelors or internship to be able to get the RD), so I can't give you specifics for your medical treatment plan. Make sure your RD knows that you are adding exercise, though, so they can help you plan your meals accordingly. Exercise decreases blood sugar, so you have to schedule your meals, medications, and exercise in order to prevent extreme drops in blood sugar too. And remember, if you are still needing to add calories to get up to your intake needs, you can have some healthy fats (fish oils, nuts, etc.) to replace some of your carbs and proteins.
  • AcademicusMaximus
    Options
    That isn\t misinformation. If your body has a calorie deficit metabolism slows down (she didn't say gain weight, she said SLOWS DOWN metabolism). When you eat an excess of calories your metabolism speeds up.

It is a well established fact that creating a deficit for prolonged periods of time interferes with the hormone leptin and can slow your metablisom greatly. Tha0 ist the rationale behind refeed days
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    After planning my days meals my fitness pal tells me I am eating too few calories but if I add more I would be exceeding my sugars and protein...Should I be overly concerned with one over the other? I know I can eat veggies like crazy to balance that out but I wouldn't be able to maintain it as I'm not much of a veggie person. I am concerned with the sugars and protein as I am a type 2 diabetic with stage one kidney disease. Any tips would be helpful please.

T2D here. What kind of exercises are you doing?
    How much weight do you have to lose?
    What range of numbers are you aiming for?
    What medications are you on?

The answers to the these questions will dictate what your options are.

I have about 10-15#'s left to lose. I have a fairly active job, I do weight training 3x weekly, all compound movements & I'm 45 yrs old.
    I'm on Met XR 1500 once daily & keep my carbs to under 25 g a day, I abstain from all sugar & starch.

Fat will increase your caloric consumption without affecting BG. Small amounts of hazelnuts (1 serv is 5 g carb) full fat cream, & 'fat bombs' are a life saver too!...butter as well. Look up bullet proof coffee or butter coffee. My a.m. coffee has something like 300 cal and very few carbs. Bacon is good for increasing calories too :drinker:
  • AcademicusMaximus
    Options
    Never be worried about exceeding you macronutrients, and sugar doesn't make a big difference either especially if its coming from fruits, vegetables and other healthy sources. Just worry about hitting your macronutrient NEEDS. the minimum amounts of carbs/fats/and protiens you need then the rest of the your macronutrient distribution basically doesn't matter. Calories in vs calories out is all that matters for weight loss, but your metabolism will be slightly effected by certain macronutrients. Those small things aren't what will determine your overall success. Also don't go by your MFP calorie estimation as if it were the gospel. Experimentation with your own diet and tracking your weight is the only way to truly know what your caloric needs (TDEE) are
  • AcademicusMaximus
    Options

T2D here. What kind of exercises are you doing?
    How much weight do you have to lose?
    What range of numbers are you aiming for?
    What medications are you on?

The answers to the these questions will dictate what your options are.

I have about 10-15#'s left to lose. I have a fairly active job, I do weight training 3x weekly, all compound movements & I'm 45 yrs old.
    I'm on Met XR 1500 once daily & keep my carbs to under 25 g a day, I abstain from all sugar & starch.

Fat will increase your caloric consumption without affecting BG. Small amounts of hazelnuts (1 serv is 5 g carb) full fat cream, & 'fat bombs' are a life saver too!...butter as well. Look up bullet proof coffee or butter coffee. My a.m. coffee has something like 300 cal and very few carbs. Bacon is good for increasing calories too :drinker:

Whatever works for people is fine. But this low-carb stuff is nonsense. Under 25g of carbs isn't healthy for you body, and due to the amount of unhealthy fats in bacon that isnt good for you either. If you find success with it its because your calories in are less than calories out and the effect of fat and protien intake on your metabolism is minimal. Carbs are the primary source of energy for nearly all athletes and body builders and they have the lowest body fat levels on the planet.
  • shakeatailfeather
    Options
    @Academicus max 'Eating too few calories can actually slow your metabolism and cause you to gain' is what was said...
    Link me to scientific studies that explain your 'well established fact' about leptin?
  • AcademicusMaximus
    Options

I agree with the first part of your statement, but eating less than you should will not cause you to gain weight. Don't spread misinformation.

That isn\t misinformation. If your body has a calorie deficit metabolism slows down (she didn't say gain weight, she said SLOWS DOWN metabolism). When you eat an excess of calories your metabolism speeds up.

It is a well established fact that creating a deficit for prolonged periods of time interferes with the hormone leptin and can slow your metablisom greatly. Tha0 ist the rationale behind refeed days
  • AcademicusMaximus
    Options
    'Eating too few calories can actually slow your metabolism and cause you to gain' is what was said...
    Link me to scientific studies that explain your 'well established fact' about leptin?

1. Hall KD. What is the required energy deficit per unit weight loss? International Journal of Obesity (2005). 2008;32(3):573–576. doi:10.1038/sj.ijo.0803720.

2. Saris WH. Very-low-calorie diets and sustained weight loss. Obes Res. 2001;9 Suppl 4:295S–301S. doi:10.1038/oby.2001.134.

3. Tsai AG, Wadden TA. The evolution of very-low-calorie diets: an update and meta-analysis. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2006;14(8):1283–1293. doi:10.1038/oby.2006.146.

4. Buchholz AC, Schoeller DA. Is a calorie a calorie? Am J Clin Nutr. 2004;79(5):899S–906S. Available at: http://eutils.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/eutils/elink.fcgi?dbfrom=pubmed&id=15113737&retmode=ref&cmd=prlinks.

5. Maestu J, Eliakim A, Jurimae J, Valter I, Jurimae T. Anabolic and catabolic hormones and energy balance of the male bodybuilders during the preparation for the competition. J Strength Cond Res. 2010;24(4):1074–1081. doi:10.1519/JSC.0b013e3181cb6fd3.

6. Astrup A, Rossner S. Lessons from obesity management programmes: greater initial weight loss improves long-term maintenance. Obes Rev. 2000;1(1):17–19. Available at: http://www.ysonut.fr/pdf/Ysodoc/C0702.pdf.

7. Wadden TA, Stunkard AJ, Day SC, Gould RA, Rubin CJ. Less food, less hunger: reports of appetite and symptoms in a controlled study of a protein-sparing modified fast. International Journal of Obesity (2005). 1987;11(3):239–249.

8. Johnstone AM. Fasting – the ultimate diet? Obes Rev. 2007;8(3):211–222. doi:10.1111/j.1467-789X.2006.00266.x.

9. Lowe MR, Butryn ML. Hedonic hunger: a new dimension of appetite? Physiol Behav. 2007;91(4):432–439. doi:10.1016/j.physbeh.2007.04.006.

10. Wadden TA, Stunkard AJ, Brownell KD, Day SC. A comparison of two very-low-calorie diets: protein-sparing-modified fast versus protein-formula-liquid diet. Am J Clin Nutr. 1985;41(3):533–539. Available at: http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/41/3/533.full.pdf.

11. Rodriguez NR, Di Marco NM, Langley S. American College of Sports Medicine position stand. Nutrition and athletic performance. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2009;41(3):709–731. Available at: http://www.scandpg.org/local/resources/files/2010/PP_NutritionAthleticPerformance.pdf.

12. Tarnopolsky MA, Gibala MJ, Jeukendrup AE, Phillips SM. Nutritional needs of elite endurance athletes. Part I: Carbohydrate and fluid requirements. European Journal of Sport Science. 2005;5(1):3–14. doi:10.1080/17461390500076741.

13. Burke LM, Loucks AB, Broad N. Energy and carbohydrate for training and recovery. J Sports Sci. 2006;24(7):675–685. doi:10.1080/02640410500482602.

14. Economos CD, Bortz SS, Nelson ME. Nutritional practices of elite athletes. Practical recommendations. Sports Med. 1993;16(6):381–399.

15. Zalesin KC, Franklin BA, Lillystone MA, et al. Differential loss of fat and lean mass in the morbidly obese after bariatric surgery. Metab Syndr Relat Disord. 2010;8(1):15–20. doi:10.1089/met.2009.0012.

16. Santarpia L, Contaldo F, Pasanisi F. Body composition changes after weight-loss interventions for overweight and obesity. Clin Nutr. 2013;32(2):157–161. doi:10.1016/j.clnu.2012.08.016.

17. Chaston TB, Dixon JB, O’Brien PE. Changes in fat-free mass during significant weight loss: a systematic review. International Journal of Obesity (2005). 2007;31(5):743–750. Available at: http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v31/n5/full/0803483a.html.

18. Redman LM, Heilbronn LK, Martin CK, et al. Metabolic and Behavioral Compensations in Response to Caloric Restriction: Implications for the Maintenance of Weight Loss. PLoS One. 2009;4(2):e4377 EP –. doi:doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0004377.

19. Garthe I, Raastad T, Refsnes PE, Koivisto A, Sundgot-Borgen J. Effect of two different weight-loss rates on body composition and strength and power-related performance in elite athletes. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2011;21(2):97–104.

20. Mero AA, Huovinen H, Matintupa O, et al. Moderate energy restriction with high protein diet results in healthier outcome in women. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2010;7(1):4. doi:10.1186/1550-2783-7-4.

21. Martin CK, Das SK, Lindblad L, et al. Effect of calorie restriction on the free-living physical activity levels of nonobese humans: results of three randomized trials. J Appl Physiol. 2011;110(4):956–963. doi:10.1152/japplphysiol.00846.2009.

22. van der Ploeg GE, Brooks AG, Withers RT, Dollman J, Leaney F, Chatterton BE. Body composition changes in female bodybuilders during preparation for competition. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2001;55(4):268–277. doi:10.1038/sj.ejcn.1601154.

23. Withers RT, Noell CJ, Whittingham NO, Chatterton BE, Schultz CG, Keeves JP. Body composition changes in elite male bodybuilders during preparation for competition. Aust J Sci Med Sport. 1997;29(1):11–16. Available at: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9127683.

24. Dulloo AG, Jacquet J, Montani J-P, Schutz Y. Adaptive thermogenesis in human body weight regulation: more of a concept than a measurable entity? Obes Rev. 2012;13 Suppl 2:105–121. doi:10.1111/j.1467-789X.2012.01041.x.

25. Rosenbaum M, Leibel RL. Adaptive thermogenesis in humans. International Journal of Obesity (2005). 2010;34 Suppl 1:S47–55. doi:10.1038/ijo.2010.184.

26. Tremblay A, Royer M-M, Chaput J-P, Doucet E. Adaptive thermogenesis can make a difference in the ability of obese individuals to lose body weight. International Journal of Obesity (2005). 2012. doi:10.1038/ijo.2012.124.

27. Muller MJ, Bosy-Westphal A. Adaptive thermogenesis with weight loss in humans. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2013;21(2):218–228. doi:10.1002/oby.20027.
  • hookilau
    Options
    There are also T2D support groups on MFP where you can get ideas of what others do & how you fit into all of this.
    I guess I should've said that I don't use MFP's default macros.

In the past, kidney dz would be a reason to keep your protein low, but that is debatable and depends solely on what you choose for you.

bloodsugar101.com has lots of good information & if you've never checked it out, it's worth a look-see :drinker:
  • SezxyStef
    Options

You need to re read what was said...that poster did say "GAIN WEIGHT" and number two the OP said they are a diabetic so they do have to watch their sugars regardless of where they come from and Renal disease as well.
  • hookilau
    Options

Whatever works for people is fine. But this low-carb stuff is nonsense. Under 25g of carbs isn't healthy for you body, and due to the amount of unhealthy fats in bacon that isnt good for you either. If you find success with it its because your calories in are less than calories out and the effect of fat and protien intake on your metabolism is minimal. Carbs are the primary source of energy for nearly all athletes and body builders and they have the lowest body fat levels on the planet.

Dude. Did you miss the part where both I and the OP say we're diabetic?
  • VenusSparks
    Options
    Mine shows the same too. I know it's because technically I don't have "lunch". I work from 2p-10p so my eating hours are a little offset. My "lunch" is at 7p and I try not to eat when I get home at 11 because its so late so I only have 1 full meal, all others are snacking time.. My metabolism is definitely slower :( Any advice??
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Dude. Did you miss the part where both I and the OP say we're diabetic?

apparently it was a TL/DR scenario...too busy looking for studies on leptin.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Mine shows the same too. I know it's because technically I don't have "lunch". I work from 2p-10p so my eating hours are a little offset. My "lunch" is at 7p and I try not to eat when I get home at 11 because its so late so I only have 1 full meal, all others are snacking time.. My metabolism is definitely slower :( Any advice??

start your own thread and give up the thought you have a slow metabolism...that is not common and give up the thought that timing of eating has anything to do with weight loss as calories do not tell time