I'm in SO MUCH pain!

Options
Ok guys, I need help and fast!

On Monday night I done a circuit workout with my brother and sister in law. They are both really fit and I've only just started getting fit if I'm honest!

I pushed myself so much harder than usual to try and keep up with them, but now I'm in an immense amount of pain all up my thighs and lower back. I can hardly walk and getting up out of a chair or sitting down hurts and don't even get me started on the pain involved in walking up and down stairs.

What can I do to ease the pain. My brother said to work through the pain and do another workout, but I actually don't think I would be able to even if I wanted to....

So much pain, please help me.

xxxx

Replies

• TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Stretch! Stretch!! Stretch!!! And Stretch Again!!!! Soak in a nice, hot bath. Use some epsom salts or salts with essential oils. I like eucalyptus and tea tree oils for muscle soreness. I also like Biofreeze, but you can use Icy Hot or anything like that, too. And then STRETCH AGAIN!!!!!
  • ncrugbyprop
    ncrugbyprop Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Beer?
  • chelleb1974
    chelleb1974 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    My only advice is to drink plenty of water and maybe go a little heavier on the carbs than you normally do. The pain in from the muscles repairing themselves and they use water and carbs to do that (from my understanding). Also don't be surprised if you see a gain this week on the scale....it's the muscles retaining water to repair themselves.

Hope you feel better soon!
  • freakhazerd2424
    freakhazerd2424 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Stretch! Stretch!! Stretch!!! And Stretch Again!!!! Soak in a nice, hot bath. Use some epsom salts or salts with essential oils. I like eucalyptus and tea tree oils for muscle soreness. I also like Biofreeze, but you can use Icy Hot or anything like that, too. And then STRETCH AGAIN!!!!!

This is the best advice follow that. If you were in good shape I might say work out and work through it since your body would be more used to excersise. Since you are new I would suggest don't excersise until the pain AND being soar goes away. Even if it takes a week. You don't want to permanently injury yourself making it impossible to excersise in the future. I want to excersise today but my back is hurting a little and I'm only 2 months into working out so I'm off my work out for today at least. Chalk it up to a life lesson and in the future don't push yourself so hard. Rome wasn't built in a day neither is your body. Think long term success not short fast term loss which will lead to troubles.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    If you do stretch, make sure you warm up your muscles first. Stretching cold muscles is not good. Do a short walk or something to get the blood flowing.

In addition to stretching, foam roll if you have a foam roller. It will hurt, but you will feel better after.

You can also try a light workout. Just do a few body weight exercises to hit the sore muscles. It gets the blood flowing and helps move some of the lactic acid out of the muscles.

Make sure you stay hydrated too.
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I am a firm beleiver in working through the pain, as soon as you start working out, your muscles become warm and flexible again and its not sore. But thats just me
  • cmendoza13
    cmendoza13 Posts: 23
    Options
    If you do stretch, make sure you warm up your muscles first. Stretching cold muscles is not good. Do a short walk or something to get the blood flowing.

In addition to stretching, foam roll if you have a foam roller. It will hurt, but you will feel better after.

You can also try a light workout. Just do a few body weight exercises to hit the sore muscles. It gets the blood flowing and helps move some of the lactic acid out of the muscles.

Make sure you stay hydrated too.

This!!! Hard to believe, but if you just move around slightly, like a light warm up to a workout, you will feel much better. It will loosen you up and speed the soreness leaving your body (in my experience). It will hurt at first, but just stick with it for a few minutes and it will get easier. And make sure you stretch VERY well after any workout and drink plenty of water. Also, while you're stretching, watch your breathing - getting as much oxygen as possible into the muscles while you're stretching helps alot.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Stretch, foam roller or worst comes to worst deep tissue / sports massage.
    You will eventually get used to it!
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    All of the above - plus if you can afford it.... Massage. Feel better!
  • shayemimi
    shayemimi Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Take an ibuprofen, soak in a warm/hot tub, and then do gentle stretches. Rest. Stretch a bit more next time you work out, the pain won't be so bad next time, plus you'll be even stronger! :D
  • stephb130181
    stephb130181 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all your advice! I will be trying everything out.

Even trying to get up and sit down is painful at the moment. I look pregnant from the way I have to get up and down! :ohwell:

I have never noticed my muscles before, but even sat down in a chair at my desk I can still feel the pain in my legs.

Thank you again everyone. You are all wonderful people! :flowerforyou:
  • SMKean90
    SMKean90 Posts: 55
    Options
    No pain no gain!

It gets easier with time, if it gets too bad, try a sports massage next time you go, they hurt whilst they are being done but there is NO pain the next morning!
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Great tip! Just make sure to leave at least an hour between soaking and using an icy gel.
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    A nice slow walk today will help. In a couple of days you might try a little brisker pace. And remember this is not a race. Go at your own pace when working out. Don't let this discourage you. You have the rest of your life to get it right.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Go work out again, just maybe not as hard. It seems impossible but once you get warmed up and stretch a little the pain really does subside. Other than continuing to exercise nothing else has ever really helped for me. The worst DOMS I ever had only lasted 72 hours though. Keep on it!

one-does-not-simply-sit-on-the-toilet-after-leg-day.jpg
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    It'll go away on its own but stretching and foam rolling will expedite the process...............
  • cweaver1981
    cweaver1981 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Honestly, when I have sore muscles from pushing myself hard I find that stretching good and exercising again is the only thing that helps other than waiting a couple days for the soreness to pass. I don't like to wait the couple of days because I get off routine.
  • tmj4477
    tmj4477 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I think you should soak in a bath of Epsom salt and go on some walks. Next time don't worry about keeping up with them go at your own pace. Even with the hard core workout DVDs (insanity/p90x) they always say do what you can do (no im not a Beachbody coach). Also if you can tolerate it a cold shower/bath will also help.

http://www.mensfitness.com/training/pro-tips/trainer-qa-do-ice-baths-help-muscle-soreness

I hope you feel better.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Look up dynamic stretches. They are designed to help "warm up" your muscles. Then once you're feeling a little looser, you can try stretching some and soaking in a bath of epsom salt (this is the best thing I've found for serious muscle soreness!).

I wouldn't normally advise painkillers for sore muscles, but if you're really having a hard time even getting up and sitting down, I would pop a couple of ibuprofen AFTER the stretching to help with the pain and muscle inflammation. Just make sure you don't overdo it because the ibuprofen will make you FEEL better but your muscles will still be just as in need of repair.

I would NOT 'work through it'. This is good advice for DOMS in someone who is fit and relatively used to working out regularly. It is not good advice for someone who took on more than their body could handle. Take today off (and maybe tomorrow, depending on how you feel) and then resume working out once the soreness is at a more manageable level. You don't have to wait for it to go away completely, but you should be able to function as a normal human being before you work out again.