Sodium in Water

Options
I am on a vacation to another country and one of the few safe drinking waters I find here is mineral water which contains sodium. There are 1.5 mg of sodium in a 500 ml bottle, and I'm drinking about 3 of those bottles each day. Should I be concerned about this extra sodium I'm consuming?

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    You're over thinking it. Sodium is really only a problem if you have medical issues. You're in a hot country you need water. Drink be merry and have a good vacation
  • haydn24
    haydn24 Posts: 9
    Options
    Drinking water always contains sodium. It wouldn't be a problem even if you drank ten of those bottles every day. Normal portions of any kind of raw vegetables have much more sodium than one bottle. Even most fruit have one or two mg of sodium.
    Here you'll find the content of sodium of 135 vegetables http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/nutrients/report?nutrient1=307&nutrient2=&nutrient3=&fg=11&max=25&subset=1&offset=0&sort=f&totCount=135&measureby=g
    Just look at the raw ones and you'll see how much sodium is naturally contained in small portions of them.
    For example 100grams of raw broccoli contain 33mg of sodium like 22 bottles of that water, and raw carrots contain 69mg of sodium.