Whole Foods, Plant Based, Vegan

Options
Hey everyone!

I want to start eating a diet that is based on whole, plant based foods and am looking for guidance. I am here trying to plan what a typical day looks like and I am not sure how to go about it. After trying to plan my meals for the day, i still had 800 calories left, barely had any protein and did not have any ideas! I of course will not eat this little but want to do it right! questions/things that would help right now for me would be to:
a) New vegan friends with open diaries
b) Any meal ideas to make sure I get enough protein and what i need
c) Is it true I should be on vitamins to make sure I am getting B12 and Calcium, etc. ?

thanks, any guidance and new friends would be great! I'm sorry if this is also posted 500 times, I just wanted to ask this in my own way.

Replies

• Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm new to being vegan, too. Add me if you don't mind that I also do intermittent fasting, which means some of my days are very high calorie and some are no or very low calorie.

I seem to be averaging out my protein fine with beans and mushrooms over the week, it's fat I'm a little low on right now.

I take a full multivitamin. I need to find a high quality vegan one, though, these are cheap crap and aren't really vegan, since they have carmine in them (look that up if you don't know what it is and want to be really grossed out). Eventually I'd like to get my food balanced so I can just take Vitamin D (I don't get much sun) and B12, the ones I've read I should take as a vegan. For now, though, while I'm learning, I'll stick to a full multivitamin, but that's personal preference.
  • sakuya3834
    sakuya3834 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am a newish vegan as well. You can feel free to add me if you'd like. I have been using mock meats to help with protein so far, as well as vegan protein powders and bars. It can be a bit of a learning curve to figure out how to get all your macros in when you are first starting out. As for supplements, I take a vegan multivitamin and B12. I live in Southern California so I have been assuming I get enough Vitamin D.
  • jendonehoo
    jendonehoo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I eat a vegetarian diet, and have for over half my life. I DO eat eggs and dairy, but my lunches and dinners are usually vegan-doable (ex. I may put cheese on something, or eat yogurt, but just omit or sub something like coconut or soy yogurt/cheese). Technically, you could replace my breakfast with a tofu scramble. You are welcome to friend me. I eat over 1200 calories everyday, and I do fairly decent on protein.
  • HealthyFocused715
    HealthyFocused715 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I have heard great things about these meal plans from the Happy Herbivore/Lindsay Nixon...there is a free 3 day sample to see if you might like it.

https://www.getmealplans.com/

I often make her recipes which are healthy, easy to do and affordable.

http://happyherbivore.com/

There is also a group on MFP that you can join that is focused on a plant based lifestyle: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/62-happy-herbivores

All that being said, lots of beans, whole grains and veggies and you'll be good! I take a multi vitamin but no other supplements.

Here's a favorite recipe from the Forks Over Knives Cookbook:

Peanut Noodles with Broccoli

Serves 4
    8 oz of brown rice noodles
    4 cups broccoli (I actually used broccoli and also added onions, orange peppers, carrots and snow peas!!)
    1 cup coconut water
    3 TBS creamy peanut butter
    2 TBS maple syrup (real, not the fake stuff)
    2 TBS soy sauce
    1 TBS grated fresh ginger
    Red pepper flakes, to taste

I parboiled the veggies first and then removed them with a slotted spoon and set those aside. Then you can cook the noodles in the same water.

Mix the coconut water through red pepper flakes directly in a large saucepan and cook on med heat until it comes together to make a thick sauce. This takes some time, just keep stirring!

Mix the noodles and the veggies in the sauce and serve! SO GOOD!!

Good luck on your endeavor! I eat mostly plant-based so feel free to add me if you would like. I haven't been logging my foods much in June because my in-laws have been here and it's just chaos, but they fly home on Saturday so things should get back to normal then.
  • MelanieSaulnier
    MelanieSaulnier Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! this is great :)
  • mcohen905
    mcohen905 Posts: 1
    Options
    I strongly suggest 'Eat for Life' by Dr. Fuhrman. It's like $10 on Amazon. I have been nutritarian vegan for over 1 1/2 years and it has eliminated all of my ailments; blood pressure, knee pain, headaches, fatigue. Plant based is hard to adjust at first but very satisfying. I eat until I am full and I barely hit 1,500 calories.

Good luck
  • Flissbo
    Flissbo Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Hi, you can add me and take a look at my diary if you wish, I usually list all the ingredients down and then in the food notes I write what the meal actually was!

I'm in the UK so you may not be able to get some of the same things as me?? - you'll notice I eat a LOT of quinoa as this is a great protein as it has all the amino acids in it. I very occasionally eat eggs, but only if they have come from friends who have chickens so that I know they've been looked after well.

Oh, I take a good multi- vitamin / mineral and added B12

Best of luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Flissbo
    Flissbo Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Ps - Almonds and avocado are great for bumping your calories up - in a healthy way!
  • cweaver1981
    cweaver1981 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have been interested in switching to vegan, but I have very little support at home in doing so. My husband is a huge meat eater, but his cholesterol and blood pressure have recently increased to a point where the doctor is concerned. I am thinking I could cook some of the vegan recipes a couple times a week to reduce the amount of meat consumed. After some time and getting used to it maybe we could switch to all vegan.
  • earthboundmisfit
    earthboundmisfit Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegan, feel fee to add me. I eat avocado and nut butters to get calories. If you eat soy it's easy to get enough protein. If not, beans and grains will give you what you need.
  • marshallexi
    marshallexi Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegan, but I don't eat any dairy, so I look to a lot of vegan blogs for recipe inspiration!

I'm currently topping up my protein intake with Sunwarrior raw vegan protein powder. Nutritional yeast is great for extra B vitamins (makes an excellent cheese substitute too).

Oh, I live for nut butters too.
  • Philp0718
    Philp0718 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have been interested in switching to vegan, but I have very little support at home in doing so. My husband is a huge meat eater, but his cholesterol and blood pressure have recently increased to a point where the doctor is concerned. I am thinking I could cook some of the vegan recipes a couple times a week to reduce the amount of meat consumed. After some time and getting used to it maybe we could switch to all vegan.

Watch "Forks over Knives" with him :smile:
  • MelanieSaulnier
    MelanieSaulnier Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yes seriously, this documentary was really a game-changer.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Are you saying he has to eat vegan if you want to eat vegan?
  • ShraddhaOm
    ShraddhaOm Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    i've been vegan for years, but just joined MFP. you (or anyone here) can add me (my food diary is open to friends) but i only have two days of diet history! aside from tofu for protein, there's tempeh, seitan, nuts, beans, lentils, and many veggies too. soy milk and soy yogurt are good (if you find unsweetened/low sugar). i have no trouble getting enough protein or calories and don't really think about it (more trying to keep the calories down is the problem!). "appetite for reduction" is a great vegan cookbook by isa chandra moskowitz (anything by her is great, but that one is a little more veggie and health focused). also the new "oh she glows" cookbook is wonderful (as is the blog). i make the veggie burgers from that book and they're great to snack on actually, kind of like a savory power bar, since they're nice and firm and on the dry side (in a good way). they're also good crumbled in salads. she has a similar recipe on her blog.

as for vitamins, b12 is the only thing that you definitely need if you are going 100% vegan. you can just get b12 vitamin by itself or a b complex - don't need a multivitamin. nutritional yeast also has b12, but unless you know you're eating it on a regular basis, better to know you're getting it from a vitamin. other things, it depends on how well you eat, but you should be fine if you're eating healthy. same as for an omni diet. the book "becoming vegan" is good for a very detailed look at vegan nutrition written by a dr and nutritionist (though accessible), if you want to really study up.
  • DanceswithWow
    Options
    Hello MelaniSaulni

My name is DanceswithWow,

saw your request for vegetarian assistance. I am hope you find my reply useful and also become a friend..

First off I am completely no vegetarian....I love how muscle looks, I witness what whole food protein does, and how it makes you feel when dial in..

But i can also appreciate the mental process of why a vegegarian wants to be a vegetarian..Its an emotion steeped in freewill and trying to embrace mother nature to the extreme while telling science it can go F*&K itself..

I use vegetarian tactics to the results.. No bones about it.. it teaches the body to potentiate, secrete, and sucessfully release lipolytic enzymes..the counter hormone to unwanted body fat..

In order for you to recruit the amount of protein as vegan.. is using foods with above normal food density..as well as using combining with high fiber items and lots of beneficial fats so that you can feel sated and full..

being sated in full is a key component in adhereing to a vegan..lifestyle. The methodology is similar to a meat eaters except one key difference..

The food Frequency Formula used has to be spot on foryour body type.

If your body is engineered for meat.. Your food frequency is three before 12noon and three after 2pm

assuming you have the money means and motivation to keep up w 56 meals a week..most vegans hardly ever get to optimum .. because the bodys life force is just taxed every day to the extreme because of the need to feed themselves so extraordinarily often to keep all those lipolytic enzymes from running completely amok. which is the opposite of cells which activate unwanted body fat.

Here are some foods that fill you up and have high food density..
    they are mainly root vegetables however they have to be married with olive oils, safflowr oils, and cream infused or heavy bone stock based soups

Sweet potatoes
    Turnips
    Rutabagas
    Beets
    Cabbages

also be sure to add Portebello mushrooms and Vege patties. these by the way are very expensive letes see 56 melas times 3.99 = 223.44 per week
    Vegan annual food energy cost $11,618.88 cents

In just 10 years thats 116,188.80

comparatively a healthy man with a more modern masculine framed meat eater or female with a firm flowing and more feminine siloutete the cost can be drops to under 60k

I have complete list.. more importantly though you will need recipes and a food energy plan that patterns your eating at one month ahead intervals so you know with certainly your body will stay on track and that the process becomes automatic.

If you can eat fish or insects

thats another option as well

Hope this helps
    Really look forward to you allowing me as your friend
    as i do use the vegan concept to help others produce lipolytic enzymes as meat eaters

bestest Dances with Wow
  • cweaver1981
    cweaver1981 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    @Hollydubs85-I am not saying he has to be vegan in order for me to eat vegan. I am not delusional enough to think he would ever give up eating meat. However, I don't have the money or the time to cook to separate meals everyday. I just think it would be nice if we could do a couple vegan meals a week. It would be a compromise...he can still have his meat a couple days a week and I could eat the way I want to a couple days a week. I am mostly interested in going vegan for the health benefits.
  • got2btru
    got2btru Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello Melanie,

I realize this is an old message but I was just came across it and thought I would jump in. I hope that by now you have found some answers to your questions about a whole food plant based diet and are finding success with this lifestyle. I can't say enough about how the switch to this type of eating has changed my life.

I started researching diet when I was diagnosed with MS a year and a half ago. I first found the Swank MS diet which tended toward plant based eating but was focused more on low saturated fat intake. It did allow meat, just not red meat. But I continued to research and eventually came across the Forks Over Knives movie. That changed my life (and my husband's too.) We quickly transitioned to a full vegan diet, lost weight, felt better, and I have not suffered a MS relapse since I started eating that way. Then this past summer we had some things going on in our life that we started eating badly again. Eating a well balanced WFPB diet does require a willingness to spend a significant amount of time preparing good food. I had a lot going on and was tending back toward grabbing things on the run. I gained 21 pounds, blood pressure went up, and I started feeling like I was headed for another relapse. I said heck with that and made a recommitment to my WFPB diet. The weight is coming off again, blood pressure is going down, and I feel great again. I will never go off the diet again.

For resources and meal ideas I highly recommend the Forks Over Knives cookbook, the Engine 2 cookbook, and the Great Vegan Bean Book.

For inspiration I have watched a lot of youtube videos by Dr. John McDougall, Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn, Rip Esselstyn, Dr. T. Colin Campbell, and others. Once you get more involved in researching the lifestyle you'll learn who the major authorities are on this subject.

Also, if you are on Facebook you might want to join a group called Let Food Be Thy Medicine.

You do not need any animal based protein at all (and are doing your body damage by eating it), and in fact you do not need nuts or soy either. Soy in small amounts and in forms that are fermented are not bad, but you want to be careful of an excess of soy as it does contain substances which can interfere with thyroid function. If you take thyroid medication make sure you are not eating soy within a couple hours of your medication dose. I do use soy in moderation but it is not a major part of my diet. All plant foods contain protein.

Be careful of nuts. They contain 90-95% fat and, as Dr. McDougall likes to say, "the fat you eat is the fat you wear." In reality beans contains more protein per gram than nuts do as nuts are primarily fat.

I do not keep a food journal on MFP when I am adhering to my whole food plant based diet as I do not need to count my calories. I eat at least 4 times per day, sometimes 5, until I am satisfied. I don't eat large amounts each time. I try not to snack but I'm not dogmatic about that either. When I adhere to the WFPB diet strictly my body seems to find a good weight on it's own.

Many studies have shown that if you consume enough calories to maintain your weight you will not have any problem getting adequate protein on a plant based diet. The one supplement you need is vitamin B12. That is critical and the only vitamin you cannot get from a plant based diet. Other than that you will no doubt be getting better nutrition than you have ever gotten in your life if you take the time to prepare a variety of wholesome, natural, plant based foods.

As far as the myth that you need animal based protein to build muscle, this is a total fallacy as there are many plant based athletes performing at high levels of performance. I am personally friends with one plant based triathlete and he is an amazing specimen of fitness. Check out Rip Esselstyn. He is in amazing shape. Google Aurora Collelo.

Best of luck to you in your new lifestyle.

Becky
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Edit for necro posts.

Regardless, good for you for trying to eat more plants!