Alcohol and Weight Loss

Options
Why is it that when I drink alcohol the scale seems to stop moving for several days? Is this just timing, or is there more to it? Does alcohol negatively affect the reduction of body fat?

Thanks!

Replies

• Ulwaz
    Ulwaz Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    The problem with alcohol is people dont acknowledge the calories because its liquid, your probably going over your calories when drinking alcohol which is why the scale wont be moving
  • runitskat
    runitskat Posts: 30
    Options
    I'd agree that it's the calories. I drank red wine (still do) all throughout my weight loss and it didn't have a negative impact. You're also more likely to snack or eat things you normally wouldn't when you drink.
  • mayfrayy
    mayfrayy Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    http://www2.potsdam.edu/alcohol/AlcoholCaloriesAndWeight.html#.U6oOi_ldV9U
    i think it has more of an effect on muscle growth.

depends on how much you are drinking.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Also water retention. Alcohol causes dehydration, and I find that after I rehydrate I retain fluid for a couple days.

But yeah, the calories can be killer.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is next to fat for calorie density per gram at 7 calories per gram. On top of the calorie density of alcohol, it does dehydrate you which is basically what a hangover is. The sheer calories associated with drinking coupled with the dehydration can show a big increase on the scale for a few days after you drink a good amount. Just make sure you log the alcohol that you drink and drink plenty of water and you're fine.
  • eggomylegos
    eggomylegos Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm diligent about logging so maybe a drink now and then won't be so bad. That's a relief. :)
  • stormbornkraken
    stormbornkraken Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. Dehydration causes me to feel yucky and I also overeat after drinking particularly aiming for sweets.
  • Auraonfire
    Auraonfire Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've calculated wine into my calorie goal and the scale wasn't budging...when I removed it I was losing weight again...after reading up on it turns out it can slow down your metabolism too. :s