HYE Quit your day job to follow your dreams?

Options
ConnorS879
ConnorS879 Posts: 47 Member
Has any ever quit there day job to truely follow their dreams?
how did it pan out?
where are you now?
are you still living your dream?

Replies

• digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    Has any ever quit there day job to truely follow their dreams?
    how did it pan out?
    where are you now?
    are you still living your dream?
    I did.
    I quit the I.T. industry to build custom cars and motorcycles.
    That lasted about two years because reality sucks.
    I am back in the I.T. industry.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    No. I have huge responsibilities like kids and a mortgage.
  • JonnyMacAwesome
    JonnyMacAwesome Posts: 770 Member
    Options

Same... sometimes it sucks you can't just drop everything to pursue what you want... but them responsibilities are worth it.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I wish I could. Some of my dreams are ones that would be totally feasible, while others are way out there. Maybe one day.
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    Yep! Luckily for me my "dream" is also a day job, but I quit a totally *kitten*-tastic menial desk job to pounce on my dream career, even though it meant a pay cut. I'm still here and loving life - even though I'm pretty broke most of the time. Caveat: I don't have kids or anything, so I was more able to make the move. If I was responsible for another human being I would have thought a little harder about it.

But, you know... yolo.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    I did when I got cancer. I quit my job and started volunteering whereupon I found my bliss. Have a great job now.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Yes.

In the stupidest most ridiculous fashion ever. I worked in social work (front line at homeless shelter) and one day (6 years ago) my friend called me up and asked if I wanted to start a business. I said yes and quit.

We had no plan...

For me it made a lot of sense because my job was so depressing it was destroying me. I had no kids, was renting an apartment in Toronto. He on the other hand worked at IBM, made 6 figures, had a mortgage and his first kid...

So pretty much one of the stupidest moves ever. He will gladly admit it.

That said - after 2-3 years of horrible doubt and no money we finally found something that clicked and the past 2-3 years have been great.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options

wizards-of-yep.gif
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I think about it fairly often. I'll be 40 in a few months and I'm pretty sick of being an accountant. I'm not just going to up and leave at this point as I have too many other obligations. I do have a 10 year plan to get the **** out of here by the time I'm 50 though.
  • Stacey984
    Stacey984 Posts: 27
    Options
    I did in 2007 and after 2 months of pursuing my dream job (or what I thought at the time was a dream) I had to have an unexpected surgical procedure which put me out of commission for 3 months. Everything I had saved to give myself 6 months to start and pursue my dream was spent while I was unable to work (paying for mortgages, kids, and food). It sucked but looking back those months of no stress were exactly what I needed. I lost my house, some friends, and even had to live on $50 a week with two kids (to cover food, gas and misc. emergencies that arose). I'm now in the process of paying off all of my debt so I can do it again - quit my day job - which is not a bad gig, but I want to help others, whether as a life coach or just to lift up their spirits and raise their self esteem. I don't need a lot of money each month to pay necessities once the credit is paid in full (another couple months and I'm no longer a slave to credit companies). My kids are out of the nest and on their own so it will be much easier to jump off that ledge and do what truly makes me happy. Helping others find their happiness. no regrets, would do it again in a heart beat.
  • CoolFellow
    CoolFellow Posts: 21
    Options
    Yes...easier said than done!
    but...its a great feeling...if you choose to walk the road less traveled ... !!
    Options

wizards-of-yep.gif

LiM75Am.jpg
  • OperationSuperKAT
    OperationSuperKAT Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Yes! I quit a decent job at an insurance company to go back to school. I am currently headed into my second year of my master's in voice performance (singing opera), and I love school! Now I am just hoping that auditioning pans out :frown:
  • AdventureVix
    AdventureVix Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Yep. My partner and I saved up for 3 years, quit our jobs and are now travelling the world, doing odd jobs to make enough to get by/get a ticket to our next destination. Best time of my life. The uncertainty makes sticking to a weight loss plan a bit tricky though. I know this can't last forever but enjoying it while we can :)
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,470 Member
    Options
    Yep. My partner and I saved up for 3 years, quit our jobs and are now travelling the world, doing odd jobs to make enough to get by/get a ticket to our next destination. Best time of my life. The uncertainty makes sticking to a weight loss plan a bit tricky though. I know this can't last forever but enjoying it while we can :)
    I am so jealous of your life.
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,470 Member
    Options
    Me too. Kids are great (most of the time). Having a mortgage sucks though.
  • _Tink_
    _Tink_ Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Not exactly. But at a time when I was in a total rut in my career and rapidly approaching burnout, my company went through massive downsizing and my position, along with several others, was eliminated. After a couple of months without a single lead, I made the decision to go back to school and start a new career. Despite being pretty broke while finishing my classes and trying to get myself established, I'm happier and more stress free than I've been in years.
    Options
    Dreams........those things that cloud judgment and allow hearts to be fooled. I think I'll stick to what pays my bills and I can actually laugh during the day.

are you always a buzzkill in threads? lol
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Dreams........those things that cloud judgment and allow hearts to be fooled. I think I'll stick to what pays my bills and I can actually laugh during the day.

Edgy post is edgy