how long does it usually take to lose binge weight?

Options
I had a 5000 calorie binge on Friday and ate around 2500 on Saturday. I weighed myself today and noticed that I've gained around 4.5 pounds. I usually don't weigh myself for at least two weeks after a binge, but I couldn't resist because I've been feeling so bloated. Sigh. I want to go back to my pre-binge weight and I'm feeling so anxious and tempted to restrict my calories. I don't know what to do.

How long does it usually take for your weight to return to your pre-binge weight? And what do you usually do to get there?

Replies

• SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Stop eating trigger foods and plan forward with fresh vegetables and lean protein, stay away from recreational sugar. Drink lots of water and don't drink alcohol. In 2 days you will be back where you started.

Unfortunately binge eating is a spiral and not pretty. It's easy to say STOP, and not so easy to do it, but you have to focus on your goals, get all trigger foods out of your house and set yourself a plan to succeed. Stay busy and do not give in to binge urges, keep telling yourself how good you will feel tomorrow and how proud of yourself you will be.

The cycle can be broken, but you have to set yourself up for success.
  • marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I don't think it was possible for you to gain 4.5lbs. Probably water weight, especially if you had lots of sodium.

After a cheat day it takes my body about 3 days to go back to normal and continue losing again. I had a binge day the other day and ate 5000cals over my intake and only gained 1lb. It's been a week and I've almost lost it all again.

Drink lots of water and give it a few days.
  • uglyclub
    uglyclub Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I don't think it was possible for you to gain 4.5lbs. Probably water weight, especially if you had lots of sodium.

After a cheat day it takes my body about 3 days to go back to normal and continue losing again. I had a binge day the other day and ate 5000cals over my intake and only gained 1lb. It's been a week and I've almost lost it all again.

Did you eat or exercise any differently after the binge? I am not allowed to do a lot of exercise yet, so I can only do about 30 minutes of mild cardio, Monday til Friday. I'm so scared to eat above 1200 calories because I'm sure I gained at least a pound as well.
  • Vorenus85
    Vorenus85 Posts: 109 Member
    Options

Did you eat or exercise any differently after the binge? I am not allowed to do a lot of exercise yet, so I can only do about 30 minutes of mild cardio, Monday til Friday. I'm so scared to eat above 1200 calories because I'm sure I gained at least a pound as well.

You're over-thinking this. Just drink lots of water (and I do mean lots), eat what you would normally eat and your weight will come back down soon enough. Also if it makes you feel any better, I'm up 15 pounds from 8000+ calorie binges. Binging is such a vicious thing..
  • Sobus76
    Sobus76 Posts: 242 Member
    Options

same here for 3 days, seems for every 1 day i go off my plan, it's 3 days to get back to the original weight. a whole weekend takes a week.
  • uglyclub
    Options

You're over-thinking this. Just drink lots of water (and I do mean lots), eat what you would normally eat and your weight will come back down soon enough. Also if it makes you feel any better, I'm up 15 pounds from 8000+ calorie binges. Binging is such a vicious thing..

I know, I'm sorry. I'm currently recovering from a restrictive eating disorder and haven't been following my meal plan because of my binges (I guess I'm stuck in this binge-restrict cycle to avoid weight gain). I'm either restricting or overeating. I don't know how to eat "normally". I'm worried if I don't restrict, the weight won't go back to normal.
  • Vorenus85
    Vorenus85 Posts: 109 Member
    Options

I know, I'm sorry. I'm currently recovering from a restrictive eating disorder and haven't been following my meal plan because of my binges (I guess I'm stuck in this binge-restrict cycle to avoid weight gain). I'm either restricting or overeating. I don't know how to eat "normally". I'm worried if I don't restrict, the weight won't go back to normal.

No need to apologize. I experience my fair share of binging so I can totally relate. All I can say is that you should probably try to avoid scales. Aside from the water retention weight, all the added food you eat post-binge is just going to add that much more scale weight...which tends to reaffirm that belief that the weight won't go back down. Binging is such a mental struggle, you don't really want to add more to the battle.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    1 pound is 3500 calories. Thus for you to gain even one pound after a binge, you have to eat 3500 calories OVER maintenance. Therefore, I have a hard time believing you really gained 4.5 pounds after the two day binge you described. I'm guessing most of it is water weight. Personal opinion… the best thing you can do after a binge is simply forgive yourself and MOVE ON! A binge doesn't have to derail you, so long as you just get right back on the wagon. It's when you beat yourself up and think you've royally screwed things up that you might as well throw in the towel… that a binge really becomes a problem.
  • cppeace
    cppeace Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    1 pound is 3500 calories. Thus for you to gain even one pound after a binge, you have to eat 3500 calories OVER maintenance. Therefore, I have a hard time believing you really gained 4.5 pounds after the two day binge you described. I'm guessing most of it is water weight. Personal opinion… the best thing you can do after a binge is simply forgive yourself and MOVE ON! A binge doesn't have to derail you, so long as you just get right back on the wagon. It's when you beat yourself up and think you've royally screwed things up that you might as well throw in the towel… that a binge really becomes a problem.

^^^this all the way^^^
  • uglyclub
    Options
    It's been about 4 days since my binge and I'm still 2 1/2 pounds above my pre-binge weight. I'm so afraid to eat more, I've been restricting my intake to about 1000 calories and I'm tempted to go lower, but I know doing that will only bite me in the butt later on by triggering another binge. I just want to go back to my pre-binge weight and start following my meal plan. Why isn't the weight going off
  • trelrutti
    trelrutti Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I gained 2.8 lbs while on vacation last week (some from food, but mostly alcohol consumption). I hit the road running Sunday upon my return. I weighed in this morning and I'm already down 2.6 (I'm assuming water weight). I'm not giving myself a hard time. I just got back on the wagon and started moving forward. Idk what diet plan you're following, but my husband and I are carb cycling (Chris Powell). There are several plans, but it's working for us. It allows "reward" meals/days depending on the plan you choose. And I don't feel like I'm missing anything as I have on other plans. Good luck! Keep pushing forward!
  • soupandcookies
    soupandcookies Posts: 212 Member
    Options

I didn't read the other feedback you got (in a rush this morning!), but I can only speak from my own experience - I am also recovering from restrictive eating/binging. I have found that the one thing that keeps me in the binge cycle, is continuing to restrict. If I binge, and then I follow it with a low calorie day (and for me, low calorie means anything under 1700, unless I'm sick), I am setting myself up for a binge in the evening. It's like clockwork for me, and even though I KNOW it just perpetuates the cycle, it feels natural and intuitive to restrict, to compensate for a binge. That being said, I KNOW, rationally, that I need to fight the urge to restrict. It never ever works for me. If you are restricting, then these binges are reactive eating. I think it was Geneen Roth, who said, "For ever diet, there is an equal and opposite binge," or something like that! In recovery, I have found that I have a lot of faulty beliefs about weight loss and weight gain, and if I don't actively work on changing those beliefs, then I find myself stewing in my disordered behaviors again.

So, my point is, when I have binged, I wake up the next morning (or even start at the next meal or snack), and I eat a normal breakfast (or whatever meal it is). It may not feel like the most comfortable thing, but I have to remind myself, that the goal is to stop both binging and dieting/restricting. The goal is not to get skinny. The goal is to get healthy - both mentally and physically. In my opinion, there is nothing healthy about restricting or binging, and I try to remind myself that there is no excuse for either of these behaviors. They are especially bad for my mental health. My mantra, throughout recovery, is "Get out of your own way." I know that restricting perpetuates the cycle, and I must step out of my own way, and be willing to do the things that get me to my goal (eat NORMAL sized meals, eat a normal amount of calories, eat until gentle fullness, stop stuffing my body during binges, etc.). I encourage you to find your roadblocks, and get out of your own way. I really believe in you!

Again - these are just my experiences, and we are all different, so take it all with a grain of salt! Good luck!
  • uglyclub
    Options

I didn't read the other feedback you got (in a rush this morning!), but I can only speak from my own experience - I am also recovering from restrictive eating/binging. I have found that the one thing that keeps me in the binge cycle, is continuing to restrict. If I binge, and then I follow it with a low calorie day (and for me, low calorie means anything under 1700, unless I'm sick), I am setting myself up for a binge in the evening. It's like clockwork for me, and even though I KNOW it just perpetuates the cycle, it feels natural and intuitive to restrict, to compensate for a binge. That being said, I KNOW, rationally, that I need to fight the urge to restrict. It never ever works for me. If you are restricting, then these binges are reactive eating. I think it was Geneen Roth, who said, "For ever diet, there is an equal and opposite binge," or something like that! In recovery, I have found that I have a lot of faulty beliefs about weight loss and weight gain, and if I don't actively work on changing those beliefs, then I find myself stewing in my disordered behaviors again.

So, my point is, when I have binged, I wake up the next morning (or even start at the next meal or snack), and I eat a normal breakfast (or whatever meal it is). It may not feel like the most comfortable thing, but I have to remind myself, that the goal is to stop both binging and dieting/restricting. The goal is not to get skinny. The goal is to get healthy - both mentally and physically. In my opinion, there is nothing healthy about restricting or binging, and I try to remind myself that there is no excuse for either of these behaviors. They are especially bad for my mental health. My mantra, throughout recovery, is "Get out of your own way." I know that restricting perpetuates the cycle, and I must step out of my own way, and be willing to do the things that get me to my goal (eat NORMAL sized meals, eat a normal amount of calories, eat until gentle fullness, stop stuffing my body during binges, etc.). I encourage you to find your roadblocks, and get out of your own way. I really believe in you!

Again - these are just my experiences, and we are all different, so take it all with a grain of salt! Good luck!

Thank you! I hope you're doing well in your recovery, by the way!

I know I'm setting myself up for trouble by restricting to compensate for the binge but I don't know if I'll be able to eat normally until my weight goes back to normal. I was okay with eating 1800+ calories when I was maintaining my pre-binge weight but now that my weight is slightly above that, I feel so so anxious eating more than a thousand calories. I guess I still have a lot of work to do in recovery.

I just don't know why the weight's not going back to normal even though it's been four days. I want to stop restricting but I'm too afraid to stop restricting until my weight returns to what it was aaah this is so stressful.
  • Auraonfire
    Auraonfire Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Restrictive eating disorder? Now I'm paranoid.
  • low_esteem23
    low_esteem23 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    It's been about 4 days since my binge and I'm still 2 1/2 pounds above my pre-binge weight. I'm so afraid to eat more, I've been restricting my intake to about 1000 calories and I'm tempted to go lower, but I know doing that will only bite me in the butt later on by triggering another binge. I just want to go back to my pre-binge weight and start following my meal plan. Why isn't the weight going off

Have you been walking or doing anything for exercise to help get rid of the binge? Don't be afraid of eating more just do some extra workout of whatever type that you like to do to make up for it.
  • RyanG2106
    RyanG2106 Posts: 29
    Options

This is not correct, it's 3500 calories per 1lb of fat, the 4.5lb increase will also be due to water retention, I'm guessing that when you binged you had a lot of carbs, this can cause the increase in water/glycogen in the body.

Hope this helps
  • jayana23
    jayana23 Posts: 6
    Options

I had the same issue and I agree lots of water helped me too and staying motivated.
  • uglyclub
    Options
    Restrictive eating disorder? Now I'm paranoid.

Well, I mean anorexia.
  • mongoloriver
    Options
    You really shouldn't be worrying about "getting back to your pre-binge weight". Here are the facts:
    1. you are at an underweight BMI/ not weight restored
    2. losing weight while underweight is not a smart decision, not matter what the reasoning
    3. consulting a weight loss forum while you have an eating disorder in order to lose unnecessary weight will only further exacerbate your problems. a health care professional would definitely tell you not to be alarmed by a few pounds

losing weight is addictive- you may in your brain have to justify eating through weight loss however you will only be digging yourself further into your disorder. once you reach your target weight there is further incentive to go lower.
    Eating disorders are tough business however you are a touch cookie. Ride it out! Keep eating according to your meal plan. The more you consolidate good behaviors and patterns through the difficult times, the closer you are to attaining a happy and normal life (at least in regards to eating as well as the greater things that eating disorders jeopardize). Binging is a normal part of recovery; things will settle down once your body is happy with it's weight. Losing weight in order to satiate your anxiety is not the path.
  • uglyclub
    Options
    You really shouldn't be worrying about "getting back to your pre-binge weight". Here are the facts:
    1. you are at an underweight BMI/ not weight restored
    2. losing weight while underweight is not a smart decision, not matter what the reasoning
    3. consulting a weight loss forum while you have an eating disorder in order to lose unnecessary weight will only further exacerbate your problems. a health care professional would definitely tell you not to be alarmed by a few pounds

losing weight is addictive- you may in your brain have to justify eating through weight loss however you will only be digging yourself further into your disorder. once you reach your target weight there is further incentive to go lower.
    Eating disorders are tough business however you are a touch cookie. Ride it out! Keep eating according to your meal plan. The more you consolidate good behaviors and patterns through the difficult times, the closer you are to attaining a happy and normal life (at least in regards to eating as well as the greater things that eating disorders jeopardize). Binging is a normal part of recovery; things will settle down once your body is happy with it's weight. Losing weight in order to satiate your anxiety is not the path.

Oh but I'm no longer underweight. I just came off a weight gain meal plan and have been trying to maintain a BMI of 19-20 for a while. I know what you mean though.. but I only feel safe eating when I'm at my pre-binge weight and anything above it makes me want to restrict. I don't know why the weight's not going back to normal though. I've had higher calorie binges before and my weight'd return to normal in a week. But this time it's already been a week and I'm still a pound heavier.