Confessions of a closet eater....

Options
CONFESSION OF A CLOSET EATER
Dim the lights and pull out the pizza... the chocolate... the cookie dough...
No one will ever know... just you and your jeans

So I decided to make a list for myself to MAKE me realize exactly what and why I am eating.
To often I ignore the obvious to indulge or to eat my emotions.

Hopefully this list will open my eyes to reality just a bit more and honestly make me feel my emotions and prevent future negative ones.
Happiness with food is fleeting and so often it leaves me feeling worse.

So here we go:

1. Is this food even remotely represented in the food pyramid (I am pretty sure chocolate and pepperoni aren't on there)

2. Has anyone ever gotten fat from eating to much of this ... or diabetes?? (Yes, you stupid)

3. Do you see skinny people eating this a lot?

4. Is this a food served on special occasions and or holidays? (I love you cadbury creme egg :sad: )

5. Can I purchase this from a vending machine or small gas station? :indifferent:

6. Would I feed this to a kid as a everyday meal/snack?

7. Is there a cartoon character on the box? (This should be a GIANT red flag) :devil:

8. Is there a theme song or slogan for this food? (If you can sing/say it it off the top of your head PUT IT DOWN)

9. Would I still want this if I had to try to put on my old jeans first?
(Emphasis on "try" as in Good Luck getting them past your hips) :noway:

10. Will this put me closer to my goal wait or a mu-mu? :embarassed:

11. Would I order this on a first date? (Yeah...if you dont want to see them again) :drinker:

12. I much do i weigh? (OUCH)

13. How much am i supposed to weigh? (YIKES) :huh:

14. Would I want to run into my ex boyfriend while shoving this in my mouth? (Then he can think "wow that couch is eating a cookie!!")

15. Was this one of the foods that helped me resemble jabba the hut in the first place? (Everyone loves star wars references)

16. Am I just eating my emotions?
(Sad Angry...etc.... doesnt being fat make those emotions more frequent and worse?) :brokenheart:

17. Is this the last _______ I will ever see?

18. Would I want to put a pic of me eating this on Facebook?

19. Do you think any hot female celebrity would want to endorse this?

20. Picture myself naked ..... TADDAAAAAAAA ... I am not hungry at all :sick:

Making this list was actually really therapeutic for me!!!
It made me realize what I usually think of AFTER I eat bad foods..... now hopefully I will think of them BEFORE and not eat it at all.

Happy Summer Everyone!!!!!!!!!! :heart:

Replies

• IowaPrincess
    IowaPrincess Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I am going to *BUMP* this everytime I want a cookie or pizza.
  • emmyemcaty03
    Options
    This is great! I have "closet ate" more times than I care to admit! One of my biggest problems! I'm going to keep this list around for myself! :)
  • IowaPrincess
    Options
    Yeah I def dont want to count either :) I know its alot. Thank you!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Wow...holy negative body image.
  • aimingtolose12
    Options
    wow, I should print this out haha.
  • tattooedillini26
    tattooedillini26 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Ugh! This happened when I moved into an apartment by myself for a summer internship...no one would know if I ordered pizza, or ate that ice cream all in one sitting...or the bag of chips...or the box of mac n cheese...I am so glad I have not been the only one eating in secret!
  • Jess__I__Can
    Jess__I__Can Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    8. Is there a theme song or slogan for this food? (If you can sing/say it it off the top of your head PUT IT DOWN)

Chiquita banana song; your argument is invalid. :)

All jokes aside, I often think like this too. People will comment things like "negative body image" like you don't already know that. I also have a negative body image - if I liked the way my body looked I wouldn't BE here.

It's important to remember why you're here. Kudos to you.
  • sara17sb
    sara17sb Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hallelujah.. Cadbery creme egg...I hear ya lol. I have asked myself many times "is this the last cadbery egg ever?".. No, and they will not be extinct by next year lol. Love the post. And I have a feeling a lot of us here have negative body images, sort of comes with the territory of being unhappy with the way we look and feel about how we look....hence being here..and wanting to make a change. If we were all in love with how we looked and felt we wouldn't be here reading these posts ;)
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    17. Is this the last _______ I will ever see?

This is mine. Why do I feel like I have to eat it all at once or over the course of just a few days?!
  • ashadowreflected
    ashadowreflected Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I needed this! :-)
  • MN_HGirl
    MN_HGirl Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I should hang this in my cupboard! Thanks :)
  • IowaPrincess
    Options
    Yeah, there is always a critic.... Of course i struggle with negative body image... DUH.
    I have 75lbs to show me I havent been taking care of me :drinker:
    However, I find humor helps me express myself and get it all out there.
    I love posting my feeling....even when they are achievements. :flowerforyou:

Thank you ladies!!!!!!!!!!!! :heart:
  • IowaPrincess
    Options
    Hallelujah.. Cadbery creme egg...I hear ya lol. I have asked myself many times "is this the last cadbery egg ever?".. No, and they will not be extinct by next year lol. Love the post. And I have a feeling a lot of us here have negative body images, sort of comes with the territory of being unhappy with the way we look and feel about how we look....hence being here..and wanting to make a change. If we were all in love with how we looked and felt we wouldn't be here reading these posts ;)

i could eat ten lbs of them!!!!!! LOL
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Ugh yes.

ANYTHING will make you FAT if you EAT TOO MUCH!

Stop with the food hating. Learn to make things fit and eat what you like within moderation.

FFS.
  • ogs020589
    ogs020589 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I need to print this! and stick it somewhere! haha
  • rebeccaplatt21
    Options
    number 17 (Will i see ____ again) is probably my nemesis....

i always eat way too much of the stuff i love, with the mentality that i'll never see it again and i must have as much as i can now!

it's like i starved in a past life and when presented with food, i CONSUME CONSUME CONSUME like i'm never going to eat again...just in case i never get to eat again!
  • IowaPrincess
    Options
    Thank you guys for your awesome responses :heart:
  • arendiva
    arendiva Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Sometimes accounatbility is the hardest thing. It's something I still struggle with but when I binge I try to make myself own up to it to either my sister or my husband and I make myself track it.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options

Chiquita banana song; your argument is invalid. :)

All jokes aside, I often think like this too. People will comment things like "negative body image" like you don't already know that. I also have a negative body image - if I liked the way my body looked I wouldn't BE here.

It's important to remember why you're here. Kudos to you.

Yeah, but Chiquita is truly evil. Not just recently, either, their whole history is evil. http://gawker.com/chiquita-looking-to-block-lawsuits-against-its-funding-1366911057

I love this list! Pretty much covers everything that made me fat.
  • gbel1975
    gbel1975 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Ugh yes.

ANYTHING will make you FAT if you EAT TOO MUCH!

Stop with the food hating. Learn to make things fit and eat what you like within moderation.

FFS.

I disagree that anything will make you fat if you eat too much. It would be REALLY hard to get fat by eating too many healthy, green vegetables as an example.

For those of us who struggle with closet eating (compulsive eating, etc.), it's hard to "]earn to make things fit and eat what you like within moderation." Anyone who dismisses a person who talks about compulsive eating has NO IDEA what it's like.

Me? I ate two huge bowls of ice cream yesterday. Felt guilt and beat myself up both times. Still, that wasn't enough after the first bowl in the afternoon to keep me from the second bowl at night. As much as I don't want to, it's truly difficult to fight the compulsion.

Body image is an entirely separate issue. I told my wife the other day that my only goal in two years of trying to lose weight is to feel comfortable with my shirt off at the pool or out mowing my lawn. She said (wisely), "That's a mental thing. You're choosing right now to not feel comfortable regardless of losing weight." She was right. But I've grown up being told by society that I'm fat because my BMI is "obese," that I wore "husky" clothes growing up, etc. It's hard to set years and years of that aside and feel good about your body.

OP...great post. Thanks for bringing a humorous look to a real struggle.