What Have You Learned From Your Journey?

Options
I'm just curious what people have learned about them self during their weight loss journey? What advice would you give to your younger self if you could? What do you wish you had of learned years before now?

I have a few things I wish I had of know years before now:

1)Life gets better if you put the effort into making it better. I am resilient.
2)Don't be afraid to push your limits. Go past your comfort zone; that is were great things will happen for you.
3)You can accomplish anything you put your mind too; don't let anyone tell you other wise.
4)When someone tells you that you are a strong, smart, amazing, resilient, beautiful women...believe them.
5)School bullies will not determine who you are going to be or where you are going to go in life.Some day you won't care about them
6)I'm glad you didn't fallow the crowd or try to fit in. It may seem hard now but you where clearly you were born to stand out.
7)Don't get upset over loosing the wrong type of people in your life. Clearly they are not meant to be there. You deserve better.
8)You can't please everyone so stop trying. You will be much happier.
9)Other people opinion don't matter. It only matters what you think and feel. Don't let them determine your self worth.
10)Most importantly Don't hate your self because of your jiggly body. Someday you will become very comfortable in your own skin. You will love your self and own company in ways you will never imagine. It will become your greatest achievement in life.

Replies

• asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious what people have learned about them self during their weight loss journey? What advice would you give to your younger self if you could? What do you wish you had of learned years before now?

I have a few things I wish I had of know years before now:

1)Life gets better if you put the effort into making it better. I am resilient.
    2)Don't be afraid to push your limits. Go past your comfort zone; that is were great things will happen for you.
    3)You can accomplish anything you put your mind too; don't let anyone tell you other wise.
    4)When someone tells you that you are a strong, smart, amazing, resilient, beautiful women...believe them.
    5)School bullies will not determine who you are going to be or where you are going to go in life.Some day you won't care about them
    6)I'm glad you didn't fallow the crowd or try to fit in. It may seem hard now but you where clearly you were born to stand out.
    7)Don't get upset over loosing the wrong type of people in your life. Clearly they are not meant to be there. You deserve better.
    8)You can't please everyone so stop trying. You will be much happier.
    9)Other people opinion don't matter. It only matters what you think and feel. Don't let them determine your self worth.
    10)Most importantly Don't hate your self because of your jiggly body. Someday you will become very comfortable in your own skin. You will love your self and own company in ways you will never imagine. It will become your greatest achievement in life.

Well said!!!!! Pretty much my sentiments. Thanks for posting this one.:flowerforyou:

Edited to add: I wish I could have told myself that I could do anything (more often) and actually believed it. I would have surprised myself. I least I know now, better late than never.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    It is much easier to gain weight than to lose it.

Don't worry about anything short term, but focus on life long health and fitness.
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I've learned that this weight loss journey is a marathon and not a sprint. Your list is very good; thank you for posting.
  • Buckeyebill413
    Buckeyebill413 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Change is difficult, demoralizing at times. but also rewarding and necessary. Losing weight is like any other improvement process. Set your goal, measure your progress, and know the gap between the two. just concentrate on what it takes to close the gap. Once you hit your target celebrate it, adjust your target and redo the process. Measuring your results is very important. So is celebrating!!
  • oedipa_maas
    oedipa_maas Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I wish I understood that my body is my friend, not my enemy. No matter the illnesses, the trauma my body endured at the hands of others, no matter my unrelenting hatred of it--it was strong. I punished it so terribly, and here it is, resilient and stubborn and accepting.
    Somehow it keeps going. I need to respect and love it, whatever it looks like, whatever it can or cannot do. I wish I had been more tender toward my young, suffering self.

And fun. So serious and grim and teeth clenched trying to control everything. I missed a lot of fun. I missed a lot of swimming in the ocean because I hid my body in shame. Sometimes you've got to say WTF, who cares, I'm doing what brings me joy.

I wish I had gotten help for my ED sooner.

But there's still time for the bends in the road, running them fast and happy. It's never over.
  • kvansanity
    kvansanity Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'm always learning something every day. It's an awesome feeling!

1. I like A LOT of food. I wish I was a picky eater again because now I have so many new temptations. I never really cared for cheese before but now I can't get enough of it!

2. It's easy to get really obsessive when you're uneducated about weight loss. Before I wouldn't go over 1,200 calories and if I did I felt terrible! Now I know that I burn an average of 2,500 calories daily when I'm waitressing. So I can afford to have a few indulgences. My fitbit really helped me realize this.

3. Working out is fun! That whole thing about endorphins is sooo true. I'm so happy whenever I go for a nice long bike ride!

4. Water weight and bloat is not real weight gain! I can gain seven pounds of water weight the week before my period. It's irritating as heck but I'm used to it now.

5. You buy a lot more clothes when you lose weight because suddenly everything looks good on you ;) It's no longer a question of "does this make me look fat?" but rather "do I need to get the next size down?!" that's an awesome feeling!
  • Tillyecl1
    Tillyecl1 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    1. I am a lot stronger and more determined than I thought I was
    2. Motivation only comes from within, you can't rely on others to do it for you.
    3. Success or failure is based on MY choices and mine alone, no one can force me to eat rubbish and not exercise. Where there's a will there's a way.
    4. I can't blame others for my weaknesses
    5. I shouldn't get irritated at weakness in others because they are not me and suffer their own demons (which I may or may not know about).
    6. Being slimmer did not make me happier, that was a completely separate issue. Although it did help with my confidence slightly.

:-)

p.s 7. Having a plan and a goal when it comes to exercise (5k/Ironman it makes no difference but the point is there is a goal), makes it so much easier to stick to working out and eating better. Also you get to see improvement away from the scale/tape measure, this can be very encouraging when the other two are refusing to budge :-)
  • Caper88
    Caper88 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Everyone mentions things I wish I had of known. I wish I had of worried less and had more fun. I wish I hadn't of let me weight determine so many aspects of my life. It isn't really until my weight loss journey that I realized how much it had an affect on my personality and hobbies that I enjoyed. Most importantly I wish I hadn't of been my own worse enemy. The meanest person and bully towards me was really my self.

It is amazing and hard to believe that once you learn to fall in love with your self and your own company what great amazing things can happen. I hope people can learn from this post. That kids today can learn from our mistakes of self hatred and learn that it is never too late to change.
  • CCSavage88
    CCSavage88 Posts: 191
    Options
    Everyone mentions things I wish I had of known. I wish I had of worried less and had more fun. I wish I hadn't of let me weight determine so many aspects of my life. It isn't really until my weight loss journey that I realized how much it had an affect on my personality and hobbies that I enjoyed. Most importantly I wish I hadn't of been my own worse enemy. The meanest person and bully towards me was really my self.

It is amazing and hard to believe that once you learn to fall in love with your self and your own company what great amazing things can happen. I hope people can learn from this post. That kids today can learn from our mistakes of self hatred and learn that it is never too late to change.

I just want to say KEEP ROCKIN'! Nice response.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    1) It IS possible to lose weight.

2) don't think calorie counting is the be all and end all of the journey... I'm still yo-yoing and I can't understand why..I really think I screwed my body up with initial weight loss 3 years ago and I'm not back to normal... endocrinologist visit pending
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    1. I can do anything I set my mind to.

2. Forgiveness...mostly of myself. I am terrible about beating myself up when I fail because I am so set on succeeding at things. I've learned that in this journal, mistakes happen. Tomorrow is a new day and I can get back on track.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,329 Member
    Options
    I have learnt that exercise and especially strength training can work miracles and I mean MIRACLES!
    From a person who felt 80 years old I now feel 35.
    I am 64.:laugh: :drinker: :laugh: :drinker:
  • aimingtolose12
    Options
    I've learned that this weight loss journey is a marathon and not a sprint. Your list is very good; thank you for posting.
    I read the title and came in here to post this exact thing. It has made me look at the bigger picture of things, and life in general is a marathon. Not everything can happen at once, in an instant. Some things simply need time and to be worked at and build up in order for you to succeed. I have so many days, months, and years ahead of me, just because I can't lose 20 lbs by tomorrow doesn't mean I can's lose it in a year!
  • SharonCMach
    SharonCMach Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I'v learned that...just because you lost the weight or reached your goal weight, doesn't mean you can stop exercising. Exercise is key to me, when trying to maintain my weight loss.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I've learned that calorie counting works.

I learned that in addition to having generalized anxiety (which I'll always have, most likely)...I had tons of anxiety about the way my body looked that affected my life all day every day, and losing weight makes me feel freer and less self-conscious and nervous in most situations.

I have learned to see people differently. I am less jealous. I am more understanding.

The darker side of it for me is coming to realize that all of my efforts to achieve things I am most proud of and to be a good person (college degree, career, being debt-free, doing what I say I will do, being a good friend) pale by comparison in others' eyes to being a more normal size. People in general think that any other assets or accomplishments of mine are okay but going from size 24 to 12 is the most worthy and impressive. And that makes me sad, to be honest. It's kind of disgusting to me.
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Here's what I've learned.

1. One bad day of eating isn't the end of the world, you can easily compensate through out the week.
    2. you can't out exercise overeating.
    3. don't eliminate the foods you love or you'll feel miserable. Find a way to eat/drink what you love in moderation.
    4. Don't trust your eyes! you may see a fat person in the mirror even after you lose weight. It takes time for your brain to recognize the new you.
    5. Don't let people sabotage you. There will be a lot people throwing out weight loss tips and "theories". Find what works for you and stick with it. Dieting is very personal and should be tailored to meet your individual needs, not the masses.

I'm sure I've learned a lot more this year but that's the key things.
  • arendiva
    arendiva Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    My weightloss journey began April of 2009 I managed to lose 50 pounds in the first 8 months and I kept it off for two years. Life happened and I have since gained it allback and more. There is a lot I have learned about getting healthy since then though and this time I'm losing weight the healthy way. Things I have learned.

1) Food is not the enemy.
    2) Eating twice a day is not suffiecient.
    3) Lying about how much you eat or exercise doesn't make you lose weight any faster.
    4) Diet food is crap. I'm much happier and I feel much healthier eating real food in appropriate portions
    5) You have to love yourself to help yourself. If you don't love yourself as you are now than you aren't going. to be invested in improving yourself.
    6) Properly fitting clothes and a little daily effort in appearence can do wonders for self esteem.
    7)Fitness can be fun, exercise doesn't have to be something you dread.
    8) Challenges are huge motivators, if you aren't competing than how can you win?
    9) The importance of properly tracking food.
  • kellyfreeman167
    Options
    What you have said is extremely true. It is important to eat 5-6 small meals opposed to 1-2 large ones. Food is not the enemy but something you need to live and function daily. Use it as a survival tool, not something to use to excess. Food tastes good. I know that more than most people, but portions are key. Stop when you are full. Exercise is pivotal in any weight loss plan, though, and it is extremely important to focus your exercise plan around your target heart weight to lose those unwanted pounds.
  • jerber160
    Options
    My weightloss journey began April of 2009 I managed to lose 50 pounds in the first 8 months and I kept it off for two years. Life happened and I have since gained it allback and more. There is a lot I have learned about getting healthy since then though and this time I'm losing weight the healthy way. Things I have learned.

3) Lying about how much you eat or exercise doesn't make you lose weight any faster.]

LYING is fun if you're cheating and still losing. as far as gaining back goes, it sucks. but i'm fighting on
  • jerber160
    Options
    TODAY I'm thinking, "Don't Be Greedy." If I'd been happy when I hit 160 instead of giving in to the urge to lose '5 more' and maintained there for a year and hopefully let my lifelong overweightedness reset, I wouldn't be up 20 pounds today.
    "Happy' is the wrong word.. Patient might be a better word than happy.