Best Fitness Technology for a Runner?

Options
I am a cardio person. I also do some weights involving leg/butt workouts. But, every time I workout a try to run a few miles. I am also on the cross country team at my school...what would be the best fitness technology for a runner? (I am trying to lose a little bit of weight so I would like something that accurately tracks how many calories I burn). Thanks for your help! :)

(FYI I've heard people talk about ones with Heart Rate Monitors...I probably sound stupid, but do I need to know my HR?)

Replies

• thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Fitnesse technology?

If you are on teh CC team at your school then maybe ask the coach about different type of workouts.

The best technology in the world wont do a damned thing if you dont do the workouts.

I use a garmin GPS to track my runs and such, but it is not required and is just a way for me to keep interested and trying to better myself
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    You have a few options!

A heart rate monitor (HRM) will most accurately track your calories burned. I use a Polar FT40 model with a chest strap - chest straps are most accurate because they rest RIGHT over your heart, and you can't even really feel that it's there.

Some pace watches will measure heart rate and calories burned; Garmin is extremely popular among runners. I want one but I keep buying other fitness stuff, lol, and I tend to find that I can sorta tell how far I've ran just by monitoring my pace and watching my calories burned with my HRM. Garmin watches are popular because they track how FAR you have ran as well and as distance runners, well, we like to know that information :)

Do some research on your own. There are LOTS of Polar/Garmin products out there for various prices that perform various prices. There is something out there for you!
  • soccerkon26
    soccerkon26 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Ah thank you so much! I've been mainly hearing about Polar and Fitbits, so I'll check out Garmin :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    what would be the best fitness technology for a runner?

I would suggest a tracking app on a smartphone as most appropriate given the question. Something like Runkeeper, Endomondo, Strava would e useful for you. Garmin will give you the data but unless you're doing serious miles then you're unlikely to get the best from it now.

As far as an HRM is concerned, it's useful to be able to HR train, but less important than other types of sessions. Personally I find that my HRM overestimates calorie expenditure, so I don't use it for that anyway.

fwiw I'm currently doing half marathon training and only now thinking about a Garmin, it's just not been needed until now. Specifically I'd suggest that a fitbit is pointless for a runner.

Gadgetry is interesting, but it doesn't make you a better runner. Running your training plan does that.