running shoe help

Options
s_pekz
s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
Hello,
So I had been running on two year old Ravenna 3s and I needed new shoes. I went to the Running Room and they said since I pronate quite a bit I should get the Asics GT 2000 2. They felt much lighter which I wanted so I went for them. Went for a run last night and the outer edge of my feet became quite sore. I tried to walk to work in them this morning and both the other edge of my feel and my heel was sore.
Is this just me getting used to or breakingin my new shoes or should I go back and try another pair?

Any help will be appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• Greywalk
    Greywalk Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Go back and get another evaluation. Wrong shoe.
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Return them, tell them what happened, then try another one.
  • heel_striker
    heel_striker Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Sounds like there might be too much of a correction for the over pronating and that's why the outside of the foot hurts. I would go back to the store and get someone else to help you. Did someone watch you run in them in the store? If not, they should be. You shouldn't have to get used to a shoe if its the correct one for you.
  • RachelAngel01
    RachelAngel01 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    If you have significantly changed the type of shoe you're running in (as in going from a neutral shoe to a corrective shoe), it will take time to adjust to them. I would rotate your new shoes in with your old shoes for about a month. Do your short runs in the new shoes and stick to your old shoes on longer runs. How long was your first run in the new pair?

If you are having significant issues, you may want to go back by the running store and talk to them. They can let you know if you overdid it in the new shoes, or if there is another problem.

Good luck.

Rachel
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Agreed, difference size or model. There is no break in period for the correct fitting shoes.

I was using the Asics GT 2000, when they wore out after 400 miles I got the Asics GT 2000-2 model. 4.66 miles in and they were awful, painful, and used poorer materials. I exchanged them for the GEL-Kayano 20.
  • s_pekz
    Options
    They watched me run in the store. I orignally went looking for a lighter more neutral pair but they suggested these ones and said that my running looked better in them.
  • RachelAngel01
    RachelAngel01 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Agreed, difference size or model. There is no break in period for the correct fitting shoes.

This is true to some extent, but if you were running in a neutral (or more neutral) shoe before, and you got put into a corrective shoe, there WILL be a break in period. If you were happier before in a more neutral pair, you should go back to that.

I am transitioning from a higher drop to a neutral shoe, and there is DEFINITELY a break-in period.
  • heel_striker
    heel_striker Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    There are different levels of correction for over pronation though, so this particular shoe could be too much for you. I would go back and tell them what happened. Running room is good with returns. I've returned many shoes there. If they hurt when you walk in them they will be awful when you get more running miles on them.
  • BerylX
    BerylX Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    If you do get another pair, try them out in a gym either running around an indoor track or treadmill so they will take them back - some stores don't take shoes back once they've been used outside. :( I had to try many styles before finding the shoe that fit like it was made for my foot and didn't cause shin splints etc.
  • AMNimlos
    AMNimlos Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Every running shoe will feel different on different feet. Not necessarily that you don't overpronate (a lot of people do) but sometimes it's not the right structure or cushion. The 2000 2 do not have much cushion so you might need a little more. I recommend trying the Brooks Trance if you need a cushioned structured shoe and are familiar with Brooks.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    They watched me run in the store. I originally went looking for a lighter more neutral pair but they suggested these ones and said that my running looked better in them.

Well obviously your running wasn't better in them. Try a new shoe.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I tried to walk to work in them this morning and both the other edge of my feel and my heel was sore.

Notwithstanding the need to try a different shoe, don't walk in your running shoes. In fact don't use them for anything except your running sessions.

the mechanical actions are different, so the wear patterns will be different and that'll age the shoe more quickly than intended. Shes have a 300-500 mile life, you want to maximise the amount of that life that you're using them for running in.
  • rachael726
    rachael726 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I wear the Asics, usually whatever the newest sneaker is that has the most gel. I've never had a problem with them before. I would advise the same as the others. Go back to the store, explain what happened and see if they can fit you with another sneaker for your foot. I know in NJ we have Brooks. They will actually put you on the treadmill and watch how you run to determine what style/brand will be the best based on that. Good luck!
  • s_pekz
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the help guys! I went back to the store and said what was hurting. I then got fit for Brooks Glycerine 12s. OMG. LIFE CHANGING. Expensive but toally worth it. a) finding muscles i never knew I had b) barely a sound when my foot hits the ground c) only pain is my regular shins being tight. FREAKING AMAZING.