weird weight loss

Options
Okay I kinda stopped loosing any weight for about 3 weeks but I put this down to too many meals out and too much alcohol alone with not going to the gym very much, although overall I was eating at a deficit if you average it out.

I got back on the waggon a week ago (bar a dinner out which I worked my *kitten* off the following day to make up for) and I lost a 1lb on sat another on sunday and today I'm down another 3lbs. Is this normal?

Replies

• ScottDowell
    ScottDowell Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I think you are not concerned about your weight, you are doing so many things in three weeks. I think it is not normal, may be it is normal now but in future these type of activities may be harmful for health. I suggest you to not repeat this, you can drink alcohol and eat deficitly but don't repeat three weeks, sometimes it happens but not always. Be careful for health, heath is everything if health is good then all is well.
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Sorry that doesn't make alot of sense.
  • cppeace
    cppeace Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Weight can come off weird, some weeks nothing and some 5lbs. It depends on lots of factors but water weight plays havoc with the scale. Sounds normal. Wouldn't worry less you keep losing drastic amounts like a pound a day every day for a couple weeks.
  • LynneW1983
    LynneW1983 Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    You prob ate higher sodium meals as you ate out a lot. When you got back into eating healthy the water weight you had because of high sodium meals has come off. It's normal say you have a cheat meal of 1000 calorie Chinese meal you weight in the next day and are up 3lb. You didn't really gain 3lb as 1lb is 3500 calories. A couple days later that weight would come off. Good for you getting back into it.
  • aneary1980
    Options
    thanks. :)
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I have found that when I workout regularly/daily that I don't lose weight. It's not until I stop working out for a week or two that I see a big drop on the scale and in inches. I put this down to all the water and other stuff that my body holds onto for repairs being released as its no longer needed (as I'm no longer working out). Also, if you've been calorie counting and sticking rigidly to your plan for a while then the way you've eaten the last few weeks has probably been a shock for your body, and jolted it back into working harder again as it doesn't know what to expect from your diet anymore. Some people swear by varying their daily calorie intakes and not eating the same foods everyday (as different types of food are harder to digest than others) to keep their bodies guessing. I wouldn't suggest that you stick with the diet you've had the last few weeks as it doesn't sound like it's been particularly healthy but as far as I'm concerned, your body's response is normal.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I agree with alcohol and sodium impacting a true weight loss. Both of these will cause a temporary spike but over time the alcohol will pack on the weight quickly. I was a weight watcher for years and when I was loosing regularly these two things could literally stop my weight loss. Good for you for keeping with it! I am new to this site. I get lots of advice reading all the posts.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Okay I kinda stopped loosing any weight for about 3 weeks but I put this down to too many meals out and too much alcohol alone with not going to the gym very much, although overall I was eating at a deficit if you average it out.

I got back on the waggon a week ago (bar a dinner out which I worked my *kitten* off the following day to make up for) and I lost a 1lb on sat another on sunday and today I'm down another 3lbs. Is this normal?

sounds like a woosh to me...

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html

As long as you are in a deficit you will lose weight and per your statement you were on average in a deficit.

And yes that is quite normal...it's happened to me too...right after the Christmas holidays...I hadn't lost any and was up by 1...holidays...then over the next 2 weeks I lost over 3lbs...and my deficit was for 3/4lb...
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I think you are not concerned about your weight, you are doing so many things in three weeks. I think it is not normal, may be it is normal now but in future these type of activities may be harmful for health. I suggest you to not repeat this, you can drink alcohol and eat deficitly but don't repeat three weeks, sometimes it happens but not always. Be careful for health, heath is everything if health is good then all is well.

This makes no sense in anyway.

Yes it makes sense to the point of your body is fluctuating. Don't get tied up with weight fluctuations daily other than to notice them to see that things CAN change for almost no reason. Just keep doing what you are doing and you can pay attention to the mini daily fluctuations providing you don't get unethused if you go up rather than down. Look at the longer/bigger picture.
  • aneary1980
    Options

This makes no sense in anyway.

Yes it makes sense to the point of your body is fluctuating. Don't get tied up with weight fluctuations daily other than to notice them to see that things CAN change for almost no reason. Just keep doing what you are doing and you can pay attention to the mini daily fluctuations providing you don't get unethused if you go up rather than down. Look at the longer/bigger picture.

I know it's so odd he posted another odd comment on another thread.

I have mini goals so I am focusing on them one stone (14lbs) goals so that I don't freak at the huge amount I need to lose
  • cweaver1981
    cweaver1981 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    When I have splurged for a couple of days I tend to gain a few pounds. Once I go back to eating and exercising the way I normally do the pounds come off quickly. Sometimes it's a pound a day or even two until I go back down to where I was.
  • aneary1980
    Options
    When I have splurged for a couple of days I tend to gain a few pounds. Once I go back to eating and exercising the way I normally do the pounds come off quickly. Sometimes it's a pound a day or even two until I go back down to where I was.

Oh no this wasn't a case of gain a few pounds and lose them again this was a case of losing 5lbs in under a week so I went under 13 stone which I haven't been under for a few years. :)
  • teamike
    teamike Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I would say it was probably water retention from eating out (Really high sodium). However, within a day or two
    of working out the pounds start moving in a positive direction.

I remember one time years ago, I ate an entire philly steak and cheese pizza from domino's and the next day I was down 2 pounds.
    Still don't know how that happened. I don't dare try that these days.
  • christinalong1991
    christinalong1991 Posts: 74 Member
    Options

Oh no this wasn't a case of gain a few pounds and lose them again this was a case of losing 5lbs in under a week so I went under 13 stone which I haven't been under for a few years. :)
    That has happened to me too! like everyone else said, initially water weight, but also since you were eating more food for a few weeks, that probably revved up your metabolism so when you cut it back down again, you start losing more! Although I would guess if you were eating out a lot, there was some underestimates because if you were still eating at a deficit you would be losing weight, though sodium is a very stupid, tricky, annoying thing to deal with so who knows! lol
  • aneary1980
    Options
    Hopefully that does explain it.

I tend to cook from scratch so I tend to put the smallest amount of salt in as possible, I do have salt on my scambled eggs but I might try and reduce it and stick to pepper only.