1 Year Anniversary, 85lbs and Counting =)

Options
elpomo
elpomo Posts: 16 Member
Today marks the one year anniversary of the beginning of a new lifestyle and a new me, at least on the outside. To date I've lost about 85lbs, I say about because it fluctuates 3lbs in either direction and I'm fine with that.

I'm thankful that my motivation to make a change in my life was a woman and not diabetes, heart attack or some other disease. While things didn't work out as I wanted them to, they worked out as they needed to, she was the catalyst and instrumental in helping me by being out there with me hiking and living life not just watching it on TV...for that I'll be forever grateful, thank you!!

In this year I've learned so much about nutrition (I won't say diet because that's a negative for so many people) and how it affects our bodies which I never really understood before. I knew that a steady diet of cheeseburgers & fries would end up killing me but not that 1,600 calories of healthy balanced eating was different from 1,600 worth of Snickers bars. The My Fitness Pal app has done wonders in teaching this point. My culinary skills are limited (to put it nicely.lol) at best but I do what I can and am pleased with the results.

I've learned that this is a lifestyle change that I know I have to keep up with and pray that God continues to give me strength because He knows how much I love desserts and junk food. I've resigned myself to the fact that I'll have to log 90% of what I eat for the rest of my life so I can see the calories and macro nutrients (that's new to my vocabulary too.LOL) I'm eating, not just tasting the food so I can do my part to stay in control. At times eating really seems like an addiction, one that I'll have to beat.

At first I had a goal weight, a number on a scale that I wanted to hit, that in time would no longer matter to me because as I was losing weight and learning the number was irrelevant. My goal was to lose 75lbs and seemed ambitious at the time, even then though I'd still be considered fat for my height by clinical charts which I understood and accepted. As I was approaching my goal weight I decided to change my goal and keep going. Now my goal isn't measured by a scale, it's by a percentage of body fat, a more true measurement of my body. Now the challenge to myself is to transform and be athletic and fit, not just not fat anymore.

Thank you all for the support, we may not have directly interacted but I've read your success stories and used those gave me strength when I'm to tired to exercise or having cravings.

Please feel free to send a friend request, I love sharing things I've learned and would love to help and to also learn more.

Replies

• hyg99
    hyg99 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Fab, well done.
  • elpomo
    Options
    Thanks!!:happy: :happy: :happy:
  • Joyfulkneves23
    Joyfulkneves23 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Looks like your hard work paid off. You look great :)

Do you have any before pictures?
  • JenVii
    JenVii Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Nice job. Congratulations :smile:
  • elpomo
    Options
    Thank you, I have one other on my profile. It's open to MFP to all members feel free to look.:smile::smile:
  • Joyfulkneves23
    Joyfulkneves23 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting some before pictures. You look like a new person. Be proud of yourself, you are a great inspiration :)
  • kellyfreeman167
    Options
    I love to read success stories such as yours. I myself struggle to lose weight and have for the past 10 years. I realize that it is a struggle I will deal with for the rest of my life. I deal with a metabolic syndrome that works against me with every meal, and a physical disability that limits my workout routines and fitness goals, but still I struggle with my weight and my health. I currently take medication that is most commonly given to diabetics but other than my weight I am considerably healthy. Sure, my cholesterol is a little high but I try and eat healthy and work out 3-5 times weekly. I also, use a series of supplements that seem to keep my wacky metabolism in check.

But I have come to realize that health is both mental and physical and relies more how you see yourself than on the actual physical activity you do. Check out this website: http://www.nocardioremedy.com where you can get a FREE eBook "Beautiful Body Essentials" that emphasizes the importance in exercising within your target heart range to lose weight.
  • katkins73
    katkins73 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Wow, you look fab! I bet your son is so proud :wink:
  • Thor_Girl
    Thor_Girl Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You look amazing. Well done for your hard work. Determination had paid off. Thank you for sharing your story
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!