bored of meat

Options
Looking for protein sources that are vegetarian and can be added to my nightly salads.

Replies

• RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Honestly finding vegetarian protein options is hard. But most beans contain some. And brussell sprouts contain a decent amount. Have you thought about maybe milkshakes or omelettes? They would be a much better alternative than trying to rely on plant protein. Cos even the most protein dense plants can't really compare to eggs, dairy or meat.
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    i do milkshakes twice a day at the moment, maybe could do 3 with a salad
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    You said you are bored of meat - does this mean you are usually only eating one or two types of meat, and need variety? Or have you already diversified your meat sources and are looking to go vegetarian?
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Broccoli
    Beans
    Quinoa (great for salads)
    Tofu
    Cheese
    Nuts
    chickpeas
    tempeh
    edamame
    seitan
    hempseed
    quorn
    eggs
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    How do you feel about seafood? Prawns go quite swimmingly with a salad?
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    boiled eggs with your salad.
  • swalberg0625
    swalberg0625 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Broccoli
    Beans
    Tofu
    Cheese
    Nuts
    chickpeas
    tempeh
    edamame
    seitan
    hempseed
    quorn
    eggs

+1
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I'm a meat eater, but only 30-35g of daily protein are from meat for me. I round out my protein intake with dairy (Greek yogurt--plain, top veggies with it, even blended into salad dressing or balsamic vinegar for you salad, yummy), cheese, a little milk here and there. Egg are fantastic (hard boil and crumble over your salad), as are fish and seafood.

If you're looking for straight-up plant sources, you could try soy, edamame, beans (black, navy, chick peas, and pinto taste great, IMHO, with salad), etc.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Broccoli
    Beans
    Tofu
    Cheese
    Nuts
    chickpeas
    tempeh
    edamame
    seitan
    hempseed
    quorn
    eggs

^this too! I'm a slow typer, beat me to it. Any of these are yum, yum protein sources. Off to save this list for making some variety in my life. Thank you!
  • Alterego1629
    Options
    Smoked tofu is delicious, as are spice-roasted chickpeas :)
  • vegwrangler
    vegwrangler Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Most of my protein is from throwing the following in salads or smoothies:

Chia seeds
    Quinoa
    Plant Fusion unflavored protein powder (mixed in dressing of cold pressed oil, ACV, citrus = awesome)
    Garden of Life - Vanilla Raw Meal
    thawed frozen edamame

I'm not sure how "vegetarian" you are aiming for. I'm vegan, so I'm not +1ing the egg/cheese/processed soy factor. Just be careful about quantity if you're consuming these protein sources. I developed a nasty allergy to soy for the longest time thanks to my tofu/fake processed soy fetish from years past. I also became allergic to an enzyme in egg whites that will turn my face into a white and red legoland if I even have a muffin with egg in it. You can OD on foodstuffs. Just don't go overboard :-). Health and happiness to you!
  • FeebRyan
    Options
    Eggs I am a bit funny with, I am okay with them some of the time but not great with them the rest of the time. I could probably do an omelette with a little bit of butter and milk with my salad once a week.

My neighbour has fresh duck eggs I get for free too, so that might be quite nice.

I have been having grilled chicken with salad and salmon with salad, I'm not a huge fan of red meat. Maybe ham and salad? Though Ham is quite high in calories isn't it...
  • FeebRyan
    Options
    Not a fan of soy, want to avoid it as much as possible.
  • beanrider
    beanrider Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Already mentioned, but I throw black beans and nuts into my salads. Makes a yummy addition.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Eggs I am a bit funny with, I am okay with them some of the time but not great with them the rest of the time. I could probably do an omelette with a little bit of butter and milk with my salad once a week.

My neighbour has fresh duck eggs I get for free too, so that might be quite nice.

I have been having grilled chicken with salad and salmon with salad, I'm not a huge fan of red meat. Maybe ham and salad? Though Ham is quite high in calories isn't it...

LOL girl just stick to pork, poultry and seafood. Doesn't seem like vegetarian options are the way for you. If you are tired of meat on your salad then just skip it and eat what you like on there. Eat the protein in another meal.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    i do milkshakes twice a day at the moment, maybe could do 3 with a salad

oh man, I so want a milkshake right now.

Tofu. Tempeh. I had a red lentil burger with dinner last night just to shift things around. I did pre-game it with some ground turkey, to be honest.
  • FeebRyan
    Options
    I don't need to 'stick' to anything, I am looking for ideas, not to be laughed at.

Anyway thank you, red lentil burgers sound amazing I will look up how to make them and I might just start throwing a tin of mixed beans in with my salads as well as having the odd omelette.

Ham as well, might see if I can get some ham in. I just want alternative that are not meat really.
  • YearsWorthOfFAT
    Options
    Beans, meat replacements.

How can you be bored of meat? Just eat it like less times a week. You don't have to eat it everyday.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Broccoli
    Beans
    Tofu
    Cheese
    Nuts
    chickpeas
    tempeh
    edamame
    seitan
    hempseed
    quorn
    eggs

+1
    +2 I'm a big fan of getting my nutrients from regular food when possible. For me, this is a more sustainable approach, long term.
  • WonderWhitney11
    WonderWhitney11 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Broccoli
    Beans
    Tofu
    Cheese
    Nuts
    chickpeas
    tempeh
    edamame
    seitan
    hempseed
    quorn
    eggs

+1

+a million! Those are the very best... along with any whole grains such as amaranth, millet, wheat berries, etc.

And about the shrimp thing... it depends on if you're aiming to be a vegetarian, and what exactly vegetarian means to you. I personally do not eat fish (fish are animals too- nothing with eyeballs!) but I do eat eggs and cheese to help me get some protein in too.