Nutrisystem... Yey or Ney?

Options
Hi everyone! Hope you all are having a great day... I need some opinions. What is your take on the Nutrisystem diet? Has anyone tried it? Success? Fails?

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    nutrisystem, along with weight watchers, is essentially just a diet plan that will put you at a calorie deficit. it would be much cheaper and more sustainable to learn how to properly portion meals yourself through calorie counting
  • CCSavage88
    CCSavage88 Posts: 191
    Options
    You can learn how to do it all on your own...Nutri is expensive and pretty gross, a family member bought into that mess and I tasted a few things...Whhhhhy!
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    The main downside I see is that you'll be buying their food forever unless you learn how to cook/eat stuff that keeps you at a deficit and then at maintenance.

If you have the money, and it will motivate you, and you can use it to learn more about what you need to do on your own at some point, it can't hurt as a starting point.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    It may possibly work fine and well. I am sure it will help you to lose weight, but it is all about portion control. You can do the same thing by saving your money and eating your favorite foods every day while eating in a deficit. It's a weight loss program. MFP is a weight loss site. Try the free route and give MFP a try first by sticking to your daily goal. I bet you''ll have much success if you stick with it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    Pre prepped meals teach you NOTHING on how to prep your meals. Nutrisystem helps you lose weight by creating a calorie deficit, but you pay for it. You don't have to pay to create a calorie deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Hope you all are having a great day... I need some opinions. What is your take on the Nutrisystem diet? Has anyone tried it? Success? Fails?

You won't learn very much with meal replacements. Keeping the weight gone will take some changes. Logging foods and portion control helps you figure out what those (permanent) changes will be.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at the pictures of the food on their website - looks repulsive. No wonder people lose weight using it.
  • laney4818
    laney4818 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I did it once. It was a good kick start and I lost weight easily. Most of the food tasted fine, just a few things were bad. You have to know how to jazz it up with veggies and free foods (sour cream, salsa, etc.) or make a new recipe out of the meal. It seems expensive, but it's really only about $10 a day and I spend more than that normally.

The most important thing is that when you stop, you have to make sure you go back to logging all of your food and knowing how many calories you are expending and eating each day.

The biggest problem with it is that most of the time people do it, lose pretty easily, then go off and go back to old ways of eating, which is usually overeating. Calories in vs. calories out is really the key.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I would say Nay. I was a total noob at cooking and portion control and calorie counting when I started this. I am very glad I learned. And if you do it you will be too. It's not about obsessing over food it's about being informed. There's nothing like grabbing that soft serve ice cream on a hot day and going .. yeah I got room for this and being able to chow down guilt free. You won't be able to do stuff like that with someone else managing your diet.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Here is a great effective plan and it's free:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

If you want to spend money then buy a digital food scale, a nice pair of walking/running shoes, some exercise clothes, and a few water bottles. Next, follow the link above and you will lose weight and be healthy.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    I had a roommate who did it off and on for > a year. She wasn't that motivated, though, and ended up eating stuff we cooked together as the packaged food piled up in a closet. It clearly wasn't appealing to her, and it didn't seem that appealing OR nutritious to me. She eventually lost a lot of weight, but not on Nutrisystem.

I didn't remember that there were off-budget foods you could use to supplement, as a commenter above mentions. If you have a lot to lose, not logging healthy stuff won't throw you off. When I'm close to my goal, however, I have to count everything to maintain that slim deficit.

Do you have a "My Fit Foods" near you? It has become quite popular in Texas. Fresh, healthy, appealing pre-portioned meals. If the ease & pre-portioning appeal to you, and cost isn't a factor, I would recommend something more along those lines.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    There's nothing like grabbing that soft serve ice cream on a hot day and going .. yeah I got room for this and being able to chow down guilt free.

That's such a great visual! You made me smile. Thanks for that!
  • Annesoucy1957
    Options
    It wont hurt you, I would suggest that instead of spending money on pre cooked food to take a cooking class that focus on taste and nutrition. What you would learn will serve you for the rest of your life
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    NAY. For the lack of nutritional education.

If you eat the food you can lose weight, but what will you do for the rest of your life? Gain it back just to go back on the system to lose again... and the cycle begins.

Put in the work to get nutritional education so you never have to be overweight again!
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    jhwlmd.jpg
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    1. Does it work, yes - basically it cuts your calories for you
    2. will it last - possibly, if you learn to eat properly on your own,but most likely you will rely on the prepackaged food and not learn to eat properly on your own and regain
    3. is it more expensive than weight loss needs to be - yes

do it if you want but its not some miracle, its just disguised calories in vs. calories out
  • mlanders22
    mlanders22 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I ordered it once upon a time. Such a waste of money.
    Also, my dog wouldn't eat the food when I offered it to her (after I realized it was too disgusting for me).
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    To me, Nutirsystem is like handing someone the answers to a test, and getting excited when they pass the exam.

It will work, but you won't learn much, and you'll go back to old habits once you stop paying.
  • carriecoo
    carriecoo Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have been doing NS for 5 months and am at the last few days of food. I have been transitioning off their foods for a few weeks now. I am maintaining now after losing 37 lbs. I think it is a great way to start. I have learned a lot while doing it. Portion sizes, eating more vegies, proteins and carbs how much and when. The My Way Select plans give you the best choices of food. I was never hungry while doing it. There are several ways to save on the monthy cost. I think its a great way to get results and learn. It was a great tool for me. I am not sorry at all and would say it was the easiest and most informative weight loss plan I ever did. When you think about how much fast food and other foods you are buying every month, NS isn't that expensive. You can message me if you want
  • Birder155
    Birder155 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I vote Ney and I'll quote something that mike_ny wrote on another post from someone asking about a different weight loss plan but it applies here as well and I agree with it:
    You don't need any diet foods, diet products, diet shakes, or diet pills to lose weight. If they work, it's at a significant monetary cost plus it reinforces that you need them as a crutch to lose and maintain over the long run. This is exactly what the people selling these products depend on for long term profits. There's a high probability that most threads you read about HerbalLife or any other product were covertly started by someone who sells the product or has some financial gain associated with it.

Eat real food, get more active, stay hydrated, and get enough rest while keeping a calorie deficit and you'll get the results you want as quickly as you would with the help of whatever snake oil you fall for.