Dairy-Free Avocado Ice Cream with Walnuts!

Options
RaJoCo
RaJoCo Posts: 101 Member
Since I've cut out dairy from my diet, I've been craving ice cream but of course most of the ones in the stores are made from cow's milk. Sooooooo I decided I'd make my own. Behold...Dairy Free Avocado Ice Cream with Walnuts!

10349071_10202490736522884_9091243297977070691_n.jpg

Ingredients:

2 ripe medium sized avocados
1/2 cup raw sugar
1 13.5 oz can of coconut milk (NOT light coconut milk)
a handful of crushed walnuts for topping

Directions:

1) Cut avocado lengthwise, remove pit and scoop out meat.
2) In a medium size bowl,mash avocados up until most of the big lumps are gone then add the sugar; mix together.
3) Shake can of coconut milk before opening and pouring into the avocado/sugar mixture.
4) Combine all ingredients until coconut milk turns a light green and transfer to a freezer safe container.
5) Place avocado ice cream into the freezer and stir every 30 minutes to incorporate a more creamy texture, and less slushy-like.
6) After 3-4 hours, it should be a nice ice creamy texture. Get a scoop or two and top with your walnuts. Enjoy!

I sure did...

Replies

• McCluskey1128
    McCluskey1128 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    This sounds amazing! I'll definitely try this!
  • RaJoCo
    Options
    You can also try it with other fruits like bananas, mangoes, strawberries, etc...just make sure the smashed fruit yields at least 1 cup, and depending on how naturally sweet it is you might want to lessen the sugar...
  • KLB325
    KLB325 Posts: 17
    Options
    Can you taste the avocado or does the sugar and coconut milk cover it up? Also, there are some ice creams made from coconut milk. Coconut Cream I think is the name. Not cheap, but really good.
  • RaJoCo
    Options
    Can you taste the avocado or does the sugar and coconut milk cover it up? Also, there are some ice creams made from coconut milk. Coconut Cream I think is the name. Not cheap, but really good.

You can taste the avocado. Be sure to use coconut milk and not cream, as coconut cream tends to have a stronger and nuttier taste (unless of course you want that). They're usually around $2-$3 for one 13.5 oz can, which yields about 2-3 cups of ice cream...
  • TutuMom41
    TutuMom41 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Just getting this recipe on my news feed :)