Juggling Fitness and Parenting???

Options
2»

Replies

• DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been trying to do more activities outside though (at the park or local track) so he can ride his bike/play.

I've been able to get some 4-5 mile runs in while my kids ride their bike alongside me. During soccer season I was able to get in 7 miles during practices. The getting up asscrack early and doing DVD's in the living room are probably your best option for the next year or so.
  • FitWarrior7
    FitWarrior7 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Home DVD workouts? Insanity or T25? P90x? Heck she can do it with you since she never wants to leave your side?
  • aarnwine2013
    aarnwine2013 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    This can be tricky. I'm married so not the same but I take my 10 year old with me. She ran track this year so she runs, I run. It works. The rest of the time I run on my treadmill.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    As my daughter is getting older (she's 8), I'm finding it harder and harder to juggle my fitness goals with being a single parent.

I work full time, so I can't go to the gym during the day.

I'm a single mom, so I can't leave her home in the morning before work and go to the gym.

And, my God, that kid complains when I leave her in the kids room at the gym in the evenings! "But, I don't WANNA go to the kids room! I just want to spend time with you!" Blah, blah, blah...cry, cry, cry...

So, mostly because I just don't want to hear the whining tonight, I was thinking about possibly skipping the gym tonight and working out from home.

She used to love when I would lift her over my chest like I was bench pressing her when she was a baby. So, I was thinking I could get some of those in...I could throw her over my shoulders and do some squats...and I could deadlift her. I mean, right there I've got a full body workout!

I mean, sure, she may complain about being tossed around so much, but if she's going to whine about wanting "quality time" than beggers can't be choosers, right? I'm thinking as long as I don't feed her first it should be ok...I don't want her hurling on the floor.

So, what do you guys think? Is this a good solution? Could I get in trouble for child abuse or would you just consider this quality bonding time?

It would be fun if you found a way to workout together. My kids like to do videos with me. The younger 2 kids are 6 and 9 and they will do a p90x video on their own in the winter when they are bored..they are nuts...LOL

My kids love if I find ways to incorporate them into my workouts but sometimes I have to just tell them...this is what I need to do to stay healthy and fit, which is what I want for both of us. Tonight I cannot get my workout done while you are at school or at practice or whatever so tonight I need you give me the space I need to make it happen. They do this for me, and I drive them all over kingdom come and attend very very very very very boring swim meets because I love them (or volleyball games or dance recitals or drive 2 hours for a gymnastics meet or sit in a gym all day at a wrestling tournament.)
  • vkdarling
    vkdarling Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I either do something that my 6 year old can do with me (jump on the trampoline, walk a few miles, ride a bike, do a workout video) or I wait until he goes to bed - usally do both everyday. Sometimes he is asleep by 8 and I workout from 830-930... other nights he is asleep at 11 and I have a long night... It is hard to do for sure but I know we make time for the things most important to us - my most important is my son so im not going to ditch him for an hour or more a night to workout - but its also important to me to make time to workout.... so I'm left sleepy the next day and thats okay
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I use the Convict Conditioning program. Progressive, bodyweight training that concentrates on 6 compound exercises.

ETA - mine are younger and love when I do weighted squats with them. It can get hard to manage their long legs as they get older though.
  • iWorkout4Vino
    iWorkout4Vino Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I get up an hour before he does (4am) and use at-home workout programs!! It's the only thing I've found works for me - ensuring I get it done!

This is also the only thing that works for me! I'm a full time working single mum to a 3 year old and the only way I can get in a regular workout is at 5am - before she gets up and before work!
  • Beckboo0912
    Beckboo0912 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I am a full time single mom to a boy, if I feel the need to go to the gym, then we go. Mixing it up is good but sometimes I need my gym time to think or whatever. I have found he stops whining...granted I don't like whining and he knows how I feel about it. I usually do more with him on the weekend with him and going outside to get my exercise but he knows by now that I'm going to the gym even if he isn't feeling it. When he is older it will be different and he can come for a walk/run or stay home but right now my working out isn't up to him
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Get up earlier and get it done while she's sleeping. I'm usually running by 5am every day (treadmill in the basement if my husband is out of town), and do dvd's as well. If I don't get it done before getting them up, I get it done at home as soon as I get them home from work/school. If I wait until after they're in bed, I'd never do it, but I know plenty of people that do.

Personally, I'd tell her 3 days a week she's going, and 3 days a week you'll work out from home, or whatever works for you. I understand wanting to spend time with her, but I know I'm a better mom and feel better when I get those work outs in, and I think it's important to model the healthy lifestyle for them, despite the obstacles (i.e., whining kids!).
  • disneygallagirl
    disneygallagirl Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Keep at it for your sanity. I am a Mom to 2 boys with a husband who works shift. It is hard to balance. I wouldn't give up the gym since it is your routine now- but maybe substitute some gym time for exercise you can do together i.e. bike riding and / or maybe an early morning workout to a DVD at home.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Single parent w/custody of a 9 year old and have a full time job... I run an average of 6-8 hours per week, cook meals, etc. When I was 8-11, I was a latch key kid, as in parents went to work at 7, and I would walk to the bus stop at 730, and I would let myself in the house at 3, lock the door, and go play video games until they got home at 5. My son stays in the house in the event I run while he's home, but it's usually <1hr (and he'd never know I was gone if I didn't tell him). The other times, I run during my lunch or allotted gym time at work. Teach your daughter to be self sufficient and to not get into things while you're gone. A little independence goes a long way for her development and your sanity. She's a little old for a toddler room at the gym.

First of all hats off to all single parents. You've got it tough!

I'm not a single parent, but I've done this before because my husband works crazy hours sometimes, and I really couldn't depend on him for watching the kids when they were younger.

Basically when my youngest turned 9, I staked out a 1 1/2 mile run in my neighborhood that centered around my block. I took him on a drive one day and showed him the route. Then I explained that I would be running on that route only, and that he could go out and look down those streets and find me. I ran that route two to three times per session, and I always took my phone with me so he could call if there was trouble. I would call him every 10 minutes or so at first to make sure he was comfortable. He never had a problem unless there was bad weather, and then he would want me home (which I would probably want anyway!). At that time I never left him at home alone if he was still asleep. So I had to run in the afternoons. But other than that it worked fine, and also helped him to be comfortable staying alone.

Now he is 13 and I run before he gets up, while my older son is at swim practice. He knows that if can't find me when he gets up to call and find out where I am.
  • DireWolfCurse
    DireWolfCurse Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I babysit my boyfriend's two kids, and I have a 5-year-old. I like to run, play tennis, and just be outside. While my son is very fit and loves to run, he's still only 5, so he can't keep up. The days I don't have him, I find that one of my bf's kids simply does not like to be active. She whines and cries if we make her run a little or carry something she believes is heavy, or she'll say her "foot hurts" to get out of having to walk fast or run at all. We don't want her to feel left out, but sometimes I'd rather take the older child with me alone and go running around the neighborhood with him...
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    She used to love when I would lift her over my chest like I was bench pressing her when she was a baby. So, I was thinking I could get some of those in...I could throw her over my shoulders and do some squats...and I could deadlift her. I mean, right there I've got a full body workout!

Something similar worked for Milo of Croton.

Although, you may want to switch to a calf later to ultimately meet your goals.
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I train after bedtime - easier with a toddler (as mine are). Weekends I alternate with my wife.

Some of my friends do it before dawn. Ouch. I'm not a morning person.

And I'm trying to get my kids to like cycling, the sport I practice. But yeah, much harder. I wouldn't imagine how hard it would be single-parenting.

That said, my mom would drop me and my sister at different classes (gymnastics for her, tae kwon do for me) when we were kids and she'd sneak 45 minutes in the gym. So there's that. Clinginess will get in the way of many other things.
  • likitisplit
    Options

Something similar worked for Milo of Croton.

Although, you may want to switch to a calf later to ultimately meet your goals.

Didn't Emil Zátopek used to sprint with his wife on his shoulders?
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I train after bedtime - easier with a toddler (as mine are). Weekends I alternate with my wife.

Some of my friends do it before dawn. Ouch. I'm not a morning person.

And I'm trying to get my kids to like cycling, the sport I practice. But yeah, much harder. I wouldn't imagine how hard it would be single-parenting.

That said, my mom would drop me and my sister at different classes (gymnastics for her, tae kwon do for me) when we were kids and she'd sneak 45 minutes in the gym. So there's that. Clinginess will get in the way of many other things.

I have both my girls in a ballet class on Saturday. That's a good workout of pushups + stretching, depending on whether anybody has to go pee during class.
  • leadslinger17
    leadslinger17 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I'm not a morning person so I try to fit in a quick 45 minute workout a few times a week at work so it doesn't take up too much family time/free time. My wife works nights so sometimes I will fit it in at night after the kids have gone to sleep but working out later is hard. The weekends it is usually more running around at the park, going for a walk, etc
  • shinisize
    shinisize Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    My son is young enough that he still enjoys the kid's room, but my gym has a sectioned off seating area that is pretty visible from 80% of the building (especially the cardio section) and they allow kids around your daughter's age to sit in that area. I see quite a few of them in there with a laptop or a tablet (hooked up to the wifi, I'm sure), and there is a TV in the area that the reception desk is pretty good about letting them change the channel on. You might see if your gym allows something like that, or if another gym in your area does.