Options
2»

Replies

• KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Spinach is ~ 50% protein.

Problem is you have to eat 2 giant bags of it to equal 1 protein shake

ETA: Check out this site. Hopefully someone will find it useful as a quick reference to find certain foods with nutrient contents that meet their needs/goals.

http://www.veganpeace.com/nutrient_information/nutrient_content_tables/display_tables/vegetables/vegetables14.htm
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I don't need to 'stick' to anything, I am looking for ideas, not to be laughed at.

Anyway thank you, red lentil burgers sound amazing I will look up how to make them and I might just start throwing a tin of mixed beans in with my salads as well as having the odd omelette.

Ham as well, might see if I can get some ham in. I just want alternative that are not meat really.
    Curried coconut lentils are delicious. I sautee some garlic and onions in ghee or coconut oil until aromatic (about 5 mins). I add some curry paste and then cook it about 2-3 minutes. Then, I add the dry lentils (pre-soaked 15-20 mins). Normally, I add 1-2 cups of chicken or vegetable broth and simmer it all for about 45 minutes until the lentils are tender. Near the end, I sometimes add in a can of coconut milk. If you don't have broth, just use water and whisk more curry paste at the end before the coconut milk. I usually serve with some greens or on rice.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Broccoli
    Beans
    Quinoa (great for salads)
    Tofu
    Cheese
    Nuts
    chickpeas
    tempeh
    edamame
    seitan
    hempseed
    quorn
    eggs

+1

I'd add lentils to this list, lentils are 1:1 protein:carbs which is pretty darn good, better than quinoa and beans for protein. When I was eating 250g of protein a day a lentil-chicken curry helped do the trick.
  • Vicki685
    Vicki685 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Grilled light halloumi cheese is good too.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Broccoli
    Beans
    Tofu
    Cheese
    Nuts
    chickpeas
    tempeh
    edamame
    seitan
    hempseed
    quorn
    eggs

+1

I'd add lentils to this list, lentils are 1:1 protein:carbs which is pretty darn good, better than quinoa and beans for protein. When I was eating 250g of protein a day a lentil-chicken curry helped do the trick.
    Black Soybeans as well. Super awesome food.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    This is my buddy Al, Al Bumin. He'll be taking care of your protein needs from now on. . .
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Broccoli
    Beans
    Tofu
    Cheese
    Nuts
    chickpeas
    tempeh
    edamame
    seitan
    hempseed
    quorn
    eggs

+1

Yes very true. I totally forgot the lentils! Thanks
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I don't need to 'stick' to anything, I am looking for ideas, not to be laughed at.

Anyway thank you, red lentil burgers sound amazing I will look up how to make them and I might just start throwing a tin of mixed beans in with my salads as well as having the odd omelette.

Ham as well, might see if I can get some ham in. I just want alternative that are not meat really.

Wasn't laughing at you or being rude. I actually gave you a full list of items to help you, but you pointed out a few dislikes, so I am simply saying that you might as well stick to what you know and like. I gave you an entire list and you went right back to the meat "ham."

Don't take it so serious.
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Some great ideas here thanks guys, particularly thanks for the lentil recipes!

I think I just need to start getting inventive, chicken and lentil curry sounds nice, I am just so conscious of my calories I am scared to move away from just chicken and salad at the moment but I am so bored of it!
  • Spaceechik
    Spaceechik Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have been having grilled chicken with salad and salmon with salad, I'm not a huge fan of red meat. Maybe ham and salad? Though Ham is quite high in calories isn't it...

Actually, it depends on the ham. Some cuts of pork are quite lean, what is a concern is the amount of sodium in cured meats, like ham and bacon. It has an effect on water retention and on blood pressure. If you get low sodium ham, you're aces.

Another way to get protein is to mix grains and legumes. Example, you could make a Mexican salad, with a little rice, a little black or pinto beans, some diced pepper and onions, some sweetcorn, and use a little salsa as the dressing. Filling and a change from greens all the time.

Good luck with changing up your routine, and have fun with it! :)
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Broccoli
    Beans
    Tofu
    Cheese
    Nuts
    chickpeas
    tempeh
    edamame
    seitan
    hempseed
    quorn
    eggs

+1

Black Soybeans as well. Super awesome food.

Love all of these although I understand that only a few vegetable sources (quinoa & soya for example) provide you with a complete protein source (all of the essential amino acids) in the same way that meat does.

However vegetarian protein sources can be partnered to achieve this, such as beans on toast
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Eggs I am a bit funny with, I am okay with them some of the time but not great with them the rest of the time. I could probably do an omelette with a little bit of butter and milk with my salad once a week.

My neighbour has fresh duck eggs I get for free too, so that might be quite nice.

I have been having grilled chicken with salad and salmon with salad, I'm not a huge fan of red meat. Maybe ham and salad? Though Ham is quite high in calories isn't it...

salmon or white fish? shrimp, scallop, lobster do the job, too.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    nobody mentioned fish? why?

sardine, tuna, are all good for salad.

oh I see, OP wants vegetarian options...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Some good ideas already, but perhaps you should broaden your horizons in general...if it were me, it wouldn't be the meat I was getting bored with but the fact that I'm eating the same salad with the same meat all the time.

I eat a lot of salmon, chicken, and lean cuts of pork and I cook them and serve them in about a million different ways. You don't have to have salad all of the time.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Hey! I remember you. I just want this title in my newsfeed.