Has anyone thought about a weekly weigh-in?

Options
First, let me say that I am *not* at my goal weight, that's 8kg and 4 months away. Not too far away though.

Anyway, this forum seems to be the most active of any weight loss forum on the planet, and I'd like some shared support in terms of weighing in weekly, as a way to keep focused. I reached goal weight 2 years ago then had a 9kg blip, I don't want that to happen a second time.

Is there a demand here for a weekly weigh-in, or would it fizzle out?

Replies

• ianthy
    ianthy Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Hi

Good idea - I would be happy to do regular weekly weigh in for Maintenance group.
  • clarion_r
    clarion_r Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Haha, misread. Weigh-in could be useful! :)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • salvationsdying
    salvationsdying Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Once i reach goal I plan on weekly weigh inns. Just to make sure I'm staying that way. And if i reach more then 5lbs over goal I'm gonna work harder to re-lose those 5lbs. Once I get there I'm not going to let this work go to waste
  • kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I think it's a great idea! In the group Fit and 50+ Summer Group we are doing weekly weigh ins, they really help keep me on track.
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I have been maintaining since March and I have to weight myself weekly to keep myself on track. Happy to join a group for this as well.
  • pookeyism
    pookeyism Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I just don't weigh in weekly, my overall body weight fluctuates too much - it would be depressing! I weigh in abotu every 2 weeks - 20 days, that way if I am down I can go "woot, woot" knowing it is a real loss.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Weighing weekly would depress me :( sorry
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Personally, I weigh every day. Weighing weekly would make me anxious. Weighing every day I expect variations, so they don't bother me. If I only let myself weight once a week, I'd worry.

My husband is the opposite. He says daily weighing makes him anxious. He likes once a week.

So I think it depends on you. I DO think weighing or measuring really helps keeps you honest.
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Personally, I weigh every day. Weighing weekly would make me anxious. Weighing every day I expect variations, so they don't bother me. If I only let myself weight once a week, I'd worry.

My husband is the opposite. He says daily weighing makes him anxious. He likes once a week.

So I think it depends on you. I DO think weighing or measuring really helps keeps you honest.

Husband and I are practically the same way. I weigh almost everyday. He will only weigh in after a fasting day.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    After reaching maintenance, I weighed weekly for a couple of months. Now I weigh sporadically (probably every 8-10 weeks or so) to make sure I'm still maintaining. So far, so good.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    You can join the lose 10 lbs a month group. They have weekly weigh ins. Friends me and I can invite you. I don't weigh in every week anymore because I'm more concerned with my measurements which I take monthly, but I weight in every once in a while.
  • zenhiker2014
    zenhiker2014 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily but only to feed data into TrendWeight.com. I don't worry about daily ups and downs, only the direction of the trend line. So if I joined a group with a weekly weigh in, the number I'd report (and hold myself accountable for) would be that day's trend weight number.

That said, having a mini goal of being happy with the number I report weekly would probably be helpful in maintenance. This will be the first time I keep tracking carefully *after* reaching a goal weight so I'll try anything for extra motivation!
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    After reaching maintenance, I weighed weekly for a couple of months. Now I weigh sporadically (probably every 8-10 weeks or so) to make sure I'm still maintaining. So far, so good.

This - I don't need a weekly weigh-in anymore, nor do I want one. I am much happier without the scale, and it hasn't impeded my maintenance at all. It's just one of many tools for staying on track.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I 've always only weighed myself every other week and plan to continue that as I start maintenance because today I've decided that I am changing my goal to what I am now.

But I'd love to have somewhere to keep in touch as a maintaining member of MFP.
  • RWTBR
    RWTBR Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, weekly weigh ins are best. I almost always have the exact same conditions (every Monday morning, around 6 AM, after coffee and bathroom and before eating anything, on the same scale at my gym, in the same kind of clothing and shoes, before working out). I think that weighing in more often than once weekly leads to obsession and frustration.
  • Cindyloo01
    Cindyloo01 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning but don't count it or track it until Friday. It fluctuates so much during the week so I know by Friday if it's going to stay where it's at or change. It helps me to know my body better and know what to expect more by the time my actual weigh in day gets here.
  • lavendah
    lavendah Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Weekly weigh-ins are not for me. This is coming from someone whoss weight fluctuates a lot due to water retention.Fluctuations are not VERY high - they vary between 0.5 - 2 pounds,but they are quite frequent.

So, what I'm trying to say is,I have some 'high' and some 'low' days.Let's say that my apparent weight is 151 lbs on sunday,goes upto 152 lbs on monday,and then goes back to 151 lbs on tuesday.Suppose that I'm following the weekly weigh-in practice and my weigh-in day is monday.I could totally be under the impression that I've gained weight since monday was a 'high' day.

I think daily weigh-ins are the best.Even when your weight fluctuates, you can be certain that you couldn't have gained or lost a whole pound as you didn't eat that many calories the previous day.That becomes relatively difficult when you weigh less frequently.It's better to see the day-wise trend for me.

But ofcourse,you've got to learn to not obsess over it and not allow your life to pre occupied with weight loss related thoughts.There's a lot more to life too.And yes,at the end listen to everyone but do what you feel is the best for you.
  • jeansuza
    jeansuza Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I am maintaining since 6 weeks after a loss of 195 pounds. I decided to weigh in on Mondays and Fridays for a while. So I can see if I went overboard in the weekend and if I did well during the week. So far so good...
  • womichel768
    Options
    weekly weigh ins are great. they help you to keep accountability. but also measurements. some weeks you may not loose pounds but you may have lost inches. :)