Ways to Make Exercise Fun?

Options
Hey guys! So, I'm relatively new to the whole fitness thing. I'm not a naturally active person, so it's often difficult for me to want to exercise. I realize sometimes you have to force it, but I was wondering what y'all do to make exercise fun. I find exercise videos and yoga are more fun than running, for me. But I'm looking for more ideas. Thanks!

P.S. I've gotten heat stroke on more than one occasion, so outdoor things are not my forte.

Replies

• Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I exercise with my dogs (not always on purpose) lol. When I lay down on the floor to do sit ups or push ups etc. , they wind up jumping all around/on top of me. They are only 15-18 lbs, so not too big ;) What I usually wind up doing, is picking them up and kissing them while I "sit up" and then put them back on my stomach on the way down. They love it because they are getting attention and I love my boys! I wind up laughing a lot too during my workout because my dogs seem confused any time I lay on the floor. Other alternative is getting a ball for them to fetch. I sit up and throw the ball, then go back down to the floor. When they bring it back, I do it again. Kind of keeps my mind off of doing exercise. Going to the dog park is also very convenient for me, so I bring them both and let them run around while I run/walk the perimeter of the park. 1/2 mi every time I go around!

If you don't have dogs, my post is probably useless lol
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    At the risk of sounding trite I pick activities that I enjoy (running, biking, rowing, kayaking, playing tennis, playing soccer etc etc) and it may just be a matter of trying different things (maybe even join a recreations sports team to try it out)

You may also enjoy some group types of activity like spinning classes or zumba etc, some people find that committing to a schedule makes it easier, especially when first starting out.

Be willing to experiment, you may just find that something new is a lot of fun.
  • KarenE86
    KarenE86 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I prefer group classes or walking with a friend. If I work out alone, I get bored quickly and find myself staring at the clock. With group classes, the instructor keeps me on my toes and I'm too busy following along to focus on the clock. I also find that I push myself harder when other people are around.
  • SerenaBeans08
    SerenaBeans08 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Taking a walk in the evening is nice when it's cool, biking and hiking are lovely in the summer, and playing a sport with friends is always fun :)
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I like listening to some good music while working out. I don't if that makes it fun, but it sure makes me want to move! I also do exercise that IS fun. I love Zumba. Dancing is so much fun. Also I now like step aerobics. I do these out of my own home, but I am sure group classes make it even more fun. I say any activity that is moving and you love it....do it!!
  • Jillian130
    Jillian130 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    You say you want ideas on how to make exercise fun? It doesn't have to be a "program" such as weight lifting, aerobics, etc. Think back to when you were a kid and all you did was play. Toss a frisbee around (good for arms), swing on the swings (good for core), play hopscotch( great for legs and core and balance), monkey bars....you get the idea.

Do what you enjoy doing, whatever that may be. Bike ride? Walk? As long as you're moving and you're happy with it, you will stick to it.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    At the risk of sounding trite I pick activities that I enjoy (running, biking, rowing, kayaking, playing tennis, playing soccer etc etc) and it may just be a matter of trying different things (maybe even join a recreations sports team to try it out)

You may also enjoy some group types of activity like spinning classes or zumba etc, some people find that committing to a schedule makes it easier, especially when first starting out.

Be willing to experiment, you may just find that something new is a lot of fun.
    I agree with this. I think you just need to try things until you find the most fun thing for you. I can't stand aerobics type exercise videos, so I pretty quickly ruled those out. I did a lot of cycling on a stationary bike, which I found pretty boring, but I watched tv or read a book to keep myself occupied. Then, I started running and realised that I enjoyed that a lot more. I do yoga because I genuinely enjoy it.

Just brainstorm forms of exercise you could do. It might help to do something where you're competing against someone else (like tennis or squash) or you're in a team (like football/soccer) or where you learn new moves/techniques (like dancing) or where you go up levels (like a martial art). Try doing exercise alone vs with other people. Just keep experimenting.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    You don't have to be a runner. Do what you enjoy! There are always things people will say that you "should" do but honestly, the best exercise is one that you'll do on a regular basis so go ahead and do your videos and yoga! Maybe try group classes or look online for other videos. I haven't checked it myself but a lot of people on here suggest fitnessblender.com and youtube has a bunch of exercise stuff. Or even just crank some fun tunes and dance around your house.

I get what you're saying about the heat - I'm really sensitive to it too. But I get tired of working out inside and I love walking (and sometimes running) so I go out as early as I can before it gets to hot out.

I was never one to be into fitness either but once I found a few things I enjoyed, it made it a lot easier to make a habit out of it.
    Good luck!
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    What has really made a difference for me is group fitness. I have always been a solo person focusing mainly on cardio. Then recently I found myself with a lot more time on my hands and joined a fitness group of ladies of all different fitness levels and have found myself being excited to go to bootcamp, kickboxing, yoga and even walks/intervals. It's been great for me and better than anything I ever would have imagined.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! So, I'm relatively new to the whole fitness thing. I'm not a naturally active person, so it's often difficult for me to want to exercise. I realize sometimes you have to force it, but I was wondering what y'all do to make exercise fun. I find exercise videos and yoga are more fun than running, for me. But I'm looking for more ideas. Thanks!

P.S. I've gotten heat stroke on more than one occasion, so outdoor things are not my forte.

Sex milestones.

Run 5km - go have sex.
    Run 1 mil in sub X minutes - go have sex.
    Lift X weight in Y lift - go have sex.

It's about building the correct incentive.
  • speckled_raven
    speckled_raven Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I walk and run for exercise and just LOVE to listen to the Zombies, Run app on my iPhone. It tells a story where you are "Runner 5" intermixed with music from your chosen playlist. It's fun to listen to, makes my run much more entertaining and helps me to focus on something other than wanting to stop! https://www.zombiesrungame.com
  • hyg99
    hyg99 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I like variety
    Monday abs blast body pump
    Tuesday gym
    Wednesday aerobics cx works
    Thursday zumba lbt
    Friday day off
    Saturday spinning
    Sunday gym

If I don't enjoy it, I find something else. My fave is zumba.

Am I missing the poster 2above.... ? Sex milestones?
  • EllaIsNotEnchanted
    EllaIsNotEnchanted Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Motivational Factors:
    More Knowledge: Usually the more people know, the more they want to work on what they know
    Clear goals: Aim for that goal
    Music: It's just proven in a couple studies
    Support: Get this from family/friends/spotters/outside comments.
    Not Mundane and the Same: Keep things variable, mix things up. Add more weight the next go round. Change your reps. Join a fitness community that changes up the routine each week.
    Forgot- genetics: Some people are just naturally adapted to do great things. (& nature and nurture... how you grew up and what you seem to be drawn towards).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Ways to Make Exercise Fun?

Doing things you enjoy doing. I don't like DVDs and whatnot and loath cardio machines.

I enjoy riding my bike, walking my dog, going for hikes, playing golf, and lifting weights. My exercise is largely recreational activity that I get out there and do on a regular basis. There are times when I have to force the issue because I'm just not feeling it but by and large these are things I just enjoy doing and look forward to as part of my day...often one of the better parts of my day.