HELP COLLEGE KIDD

Options
So I'm the typical college kid who doesn't have much extra money for expensive healthy food..so I was wondering if anyone had any cheap..simple.."on budget" meals I coulld try out!!
:heart: :heart: Kayleigh Anne:heart::heart: :heart:

Replies

• williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Healthy does not have to be expensive. Actually, I find it actually cheaper, since I'm not eating take out or frozen dinners very much, or any of that stuff (only sometimes though--gotta get a burger or tacos or pizza once in a blue moon, right?)

My diary is public, so you can peruse it for ideas. I don't buy fancy supplements or protein powders, since those are really expensive. Chicken, tuna, beans, dairy, veggies, eggs--all regular, cheap foods, just measured and weighed and logged to stay within goal.:flowerforyou:
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I posted this to an earlier thread today. Maybe it will help to give you some ideas:
    Eat foods that you like in quantities that fit your goals. It really is that simple.

Look for foods that have plenty of protein, fat, and fiber. These help you stay fuller and more satiated for longer.

Protein is good to help retain and repair your lean muscle mass while you're losing weight. You should try to be in the red on protein every day if you're using MFP's defaults.

Fat is good for brain function, hormone balance, healthy skin & nails, vitamin absorption, etc. Don't be afraid of it.

Carbs give you energy. They're not the devil, but they can be less filling than the other macros. Keep them in balance with the other macros (protein & fat) and you'll be fine.

Sugar is also not the devil as long as it's part of a balanced diet.

Veggies are low-calorie so you can eat a lot more of them for fewer calories. Also, they contain a lot of the micronutrients your body needs (vitamins & minerals). Get several servings into your day in any way that you can. If you have to hide cauliflower in your mashed potatoes, cover them with cheese, or roast them with olive oil before you'll eat them then do it. They're good for you.

Sweets, treats, and cheats are good for the soul. If you want to skip them and feel okay doing it then that's fine. But if you want to fit them in then you should. That doesn't mean you can eat nothing but ice cream and twinkies all day. But a serving here and there won't negate all of the healthy foods you're eating.

If you haven't come across them yet, I always recommend starting with these links:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1296011-calorie-counting-101

And then read these when you're ready to take your logging accuracy to the next step:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1290491-how-and-why-to-use-a-digital-food-scale
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Benefit of doubt given, I don't see a point in allowing the other thread to spill over here, and answers here could help others.

Frozen and tinned vegetables minimize waste that can make fresh more expensive.
    Tinned tuna is a great value protein source.
    Frozen swai makes for a great lunch (just thaw in cold water and throw in a pan for a few minutes each side).
    If you can go in with a few others and share dinner, a whole chicken is better value than parts.
    Pasta is awesome, if you can make the carbs fit your macros.
    Ditto rice.
    Oatmeal is a great, cheap breakfast that is very filling.
    Drink water. No point in waste calories or your budget on soda.
  • greentart
    greentart Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Crockpot: chicken, salsa, ranch packet
    Cook it, make chicken tacos with soft corn tortillas, avocado and lettuce.

I don't think you can get much simpler than tacos. You can do the same with pork and beef, just change the seasonings that go into the crockpot.

Eggplant pizza. Eggplant, tomato sauce, cheese. Put together and put it in the oven. BAM.

Salad. A boiled egg, some bacon, tomato, lettuce, cucumber, whatever other vegetables you want. BAM.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I shop a lot of sales for my protein sources. I don't know what's available in your area, but Kroger/Dillons often puts their rotisserie chickens on discount after a certain hour of the night (7 or 8pm here). I'll tear one apart to use for salads and sandwiches for a few days.

I'm not too proud to check the discount rack at the grocery store for dented cans and packaging.

Eggs are cheap and can be used a hundred different ways.

Dry goods (beans, rice, oatmeal, nuts, etc) can be purchased in bulk and portioned out over time.
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Keep an eye out for discounted meats, cheeses, bread, etc. at your grocery store. Sometimes you can find some healthy options. My favorite is when I find some really good-looking fish on manager's special. I grill it on the stovetop. My favorite is adding lime juice, and eating it as a fish taco with avocado, reduced-fat sour cream, shredded lettuce, and salsa. So yummy!
    And what others said - rice, beans and potatoes are really cheap and you can add vegetables or meat to them easily.
    Buy heads/bunches of lettuce instead of bagged salad - way cheaper.
  • fallingtrees
    fallingtrees Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I've got a lot of years of experience cooking for a family on a very tight budget. If you have an ethnic foods market in your town, go there. You will find lots of really neat stuff in bulk quantities, nice produce, and interesting flavors to make simple food delicious.

I'm assuming you have some kind of kitchen.

Here is some of what I keep in my pantry at all times:
    Rice
    Pasta
    Peanut butter
    Beans (dried and canned)
    Potatoes, regular, red, yellow, sweet
    Onions
    Canned tomatoes
    Sugar
    Flour
    Masa
    Oil (Canola's best all-around, olive and/or peanut when you can find a good buy)

I go to the little neighborhood produce market once a week to replenish the fresh produce. Watch sales for loss-leaders on meats and chicken. Use your freezer, but be sure to use what you put in there. Out of sight tends to be out of mind. No point in throwing out old stuff. Oh, and buy frozen fruits and veggies when they're on sale. Much better than canned, convenient, and they don't spoil in the crisper drawer.

I always have something for dinner. If I have noodles or rice, peanut butter, and veggies I can make a peanut curry. Meat is optional.

Learn to cook--it's the best way to control what your eating. Find friends who like to cook and learn together.
  • lyrics09
    lyrics09 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    You can plan so you use the same foods all week just different ways. Like chicken breasts (frozen) you can do many different things with it to make it last and make it not so boring. Rice or Pastas go a long way when you only use 2-3 ounces at a time and you can prepare it with anything really; both are very cheap. Frozen veggies also go a long way. Shop at Walmart or places like bottom dollar if you're trying to extend your dollars. Some prepackaged noodle bowls have enough calories for a meal and are only 1-2 bucks a piece (just watch the sodium gets crazy high if you load up on multiples of those a day). Depending on if you're only able to use a microwave/toaster oven dorm style or you have a full kitchen limits you. Just plan a week ahead of time and you can get the most out of your food and budget.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    RAMEN!
  • LizELopez
    LizELopez Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You could look into this free PDF cookbook , it shows how to eat healthier on about a $4 a day budget . Hope it has a few things you might be in to :

http://www.leannebrown.ca/good-and-cheap-pdf
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Salads with chicken, fruit, & nuts
    Sandwiches- thin sliced turkey or chicken with lettuce, tomatoes, and other veggies you like
    Tacos with premade shredded chicken and veggies
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    if you are being geniune... Go to Aldi's... for real, you can get all kinds of produce, dairy and meat for not a lot of money... Wash the produce in 1 part vinegar to 10 parts water and it will last you quite a while...
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    A lot of stuff just depends on where you shop. If you have an Aldi's or Trader Joe's near you, shop there. You can get some mad healthy stuff (especially at Trader Joe's) super cheap.

Buying in bulk is always cheaper. Invest in some freezer-ware. Make large batches of stuff which involve a lean protein and lots of veggies. Pack individual portions in the freezer bowls and freeze for later.

Veggies are cheaper than meat. Cut everything with tons of veggies, but make sure you eat enough to hit your protein macro.
  • WaynesGurl
    WaynesGurl Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    often if you can find a farmers market in your area they have good deals on local produce. I use a lot of ground turkey. Buy the large packages and seperate into smaller serving size packs. Coupons are great....only buy stuff that you like tho. I remember being in college....its tough to stretch the money and not end up eating ramen noodles :)
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with hot dogs? I love hot dogs. And two in bread with a bit of tomato sauce is just a tick under 500 calories. Of course, I don't slather mine in condiments or cheese like you Americans seem to like them.

Honest question for the OP: do you go out partying and drinking? Because let's be honest: if you stopped drinking, you would find your budget for the groceries would increase dramatically.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    Wow, this thread has really been nipped and tucked. It's like all my aunts in one place.
    tumblr_mbjaxkrJzi1roglxl.gif