Why didn't I lose this week?

Options
Hey guys! I weighed in today and I didn't lose anything and weigh the exact same as last week. The week before I lost 4lbs. I worked extra hard this week, worked out every day and ate within my calorie goal every day save Saturday and Sunday, but even then I did good. The one thing I changed this week was that I drank protein powder mixed with almond milk every day. Do you think that played a part in it? I've never drank protein powder before but I was not getting enough protein through my usual diet, so I wanted to add more in. The workouts I've been doing are intense for me. I've been doing Chris Powell's Extreme Makeover Weight Loss Edition the Workout. I'm on level 3 now (just started this week), and it has wide press push ups, push ups, jumping jacks, squats, switch leg jump rope and a few other things I can't remember. I've been going hard core. Could I be building up muscle? Any advice or suggestions are helpful. Please feel free to look at my diary if that helps. Thank you.

Replies

• caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Two pounds a week is about the most you should be aiming for. You say you lost four pounds last week. It all averages out that you then wouldn't lose weight this week.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Because weight loss isn't linear.

And it's unlikely you're gaining muscle.

QFT.
  • schelly81
    schelly81 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I only lose weight about 2 times a month. I'll hold steady for a week or two then whoosh, down 2,3 or 4 pounds in the matter of one or two days. There's a lot going on in your body, you just have to be patient and keep going.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options

QFT.

^This
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options

true story!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Yup, water weight. When you start a new exercise program and/or increase the intensity of your workout, the muscles suffer microtrauma and retain water and glycogen to help with healing. This can cause a stall or even slight gain on the scale. As your body adjusts, that will go away.

Doubt it has anything to do with the protein powder unless maybe it's whey protein and you have a dairy intolerance...might cause some bloating.

Newbie muscle gains are possible but they're usually pretty slight and go away quickly on a calorie deficit.
  • ssmaling
    ssmaling Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your comments guys. Just to clarify, I'm not a 'newbie', I've been at this for awhile. In 2012 I lost 110lbs, 2013 I stayed the same weight fluctuation only a few pounds the entire year, and then at the beginning of this year I gained about 40lbs so now I'm working on getting back down to where I was in 2012 and working towards my ultimate goal.

I just found it curious that I have been losing pretty steadily, but when I started the protein powder I didn't lose, but it's probably just one of those things. :)
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your comments guys. Just to clarify, I'm not a 'newbie', I've been at this for awhile. In 2012 I lost 110lbs, 2013 I stayed the same weight fluctuation only a few pounds the entire year, and then at the beginning of this year I gained about 40lbs so now I'm working on getting back down to where I was in 2012 and working towards my ultimate goal.

I just found it curious that I have been losing pretty steadily, but when I started the protein powder I didn't lose, but it's probably just one of those things. :)

yup it was probably just water weight you lost last week. as long as your weighing your food accurately and logging correctly i wouldn't get too concerned over it. the closer you get to your goal the long it'll take to loose. it took me almost a 2 months to loose 3lbs.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    You're retaining water. I checked your diary and you are over your sodium often. That will make me retain water. However this is temporary so keep doing what you are doing
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    When you lost 110lb in 2011, did you track a steady loss every single week?
  • ssmaling
    ssmaling Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    When you lost 110lb in 2011, did you track a steady loss every single week?

Yes, it was pretty steady every week. I may have had a few weeks where there wasn't a loss, but it wasn't very many.
  • Cowbuzz
    Cowbuzz Posts: 2
    Options
    Go extremely low carb 50g or less high fat, 2 weeks and then have the most glorious carb and dairy filled cheat meal. Followed by 7 days of the low carb/high fat. You will drop weight rapidly and steady.
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Go extremely low carb 50g or less high fat, 2 weeks and then have the most glorious carb and dairy filled cheat meal. Followed by 7 days of the low carb/high fat. You will drop weight rapidly and steady.
    No.

Weight loss isn't linear. You will have up weeks and down weeks. The fact that you lost 110 pounds before without ever having an up week is so unusual as to be quite rare, I would imagine.

One of my favorite posts: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ihad/view/the-path-of-success-631437
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Head south, then east. Become a Clevelander, they always lose.

Keep the faith, your weight loss will resume.
  • gerle1
    gerle1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. Sometimes you will go a little not losing then you will lose again. It happens to alot of people and we all lose weight in different ways. There is a lot of good advice here. I am just adding to the cheerleading. :smile:
  • LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    One way to show that you're losing every week is to weigh every day. Then take say a 3 day average to get a number that is likely to reduce every 3 days or so. However, I'd only suggest this if you don't get emotionally attached to the numbers on the scale. Some people do, some people don't. If my weight went up by 500g one day, I'd just take it as a blip and ignore it. Others wouldn't be like that.
  • Cowbuzz
    Cowbuzz Posts: 2
    Options
    I never said "linear" steady and rapid. I use this technique to cut time and time again. It is a proven method of steady weight loss.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    One week.

I'm just going to leave this here.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1337292-plateau-no