This is what makes me just want to quit...

Options
So we upgraded from a crappy elliptical to a nice Nordic Track E9.0. Well I am on it today and the metal that keeps the foot pedal hooked to the arm literally breaks in half, almost sending me face first into the display console. Immediately, my husband starts going off on how I am too big for it and broke it, which really made me feel terrible. I double checked with Nordic Track and the weight limit is 350lbs, I am 250lbs and 5'6". I feel so embarrassed and ashamed, it's like no matter what I do my weight is always making a fool of me and making me feel sub-human.

I told my husband once it was fixed (extended warranty, yaaay) I wouldn't get back on it. I don't know how I will exercise, but I guess I have no choice but to find another way.

Replies

• twinkles2121
    twinkles2121 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    It's quite possible it was just a manufacturer's defect. It happens. I have Livestrong elliptical and I didn't break mine at 250lbs. Don't let it discourage you, try it again when it's fixed and next time your husband tells you you're to big for it, tell him to find your backside and kiss it. :flowerforyou:
  • TutuMom41
    TutuMom41 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    You need to loose the husband not the exercise machine!!! He has no right to speak to you that way. I weighed 330 when I started. My husband would never speak to me that way. I now way 128 and I swear to you he has never noticed if I gain or loose any weight until he sees pictures to compare. I married him 15 years ago at 330. I lost the 200 lbs 12 years ago. Do not let this make you quit. DO this for yourself!!! Do not let him win and I would have a serious chat with him!!!! You are worth it no matter what you weigh.
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    In my spinning class, my instructor who is maybe 200 pounds (the dude's a beast), broke the machine. The pedal went flying right off. It happens. :)
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    So we upgraded from a crappy elliptical to a nice Nordic Track E9.0. Well I am on it today and the metal that keeps the foot pedal hooked to the arm literally breaks in half, almost sending me face first into the display console. Immediately, my husband starts going off on how I am too big for it and broke it, which really made me feel terrible. I double checked with Nordic Track and the weight limit is 350lbs, I am 250lbs and 5'6". I feel so embarrassed and ashamed, it's like no matter what I do my weight is always making a fool of me and making me feel sub-human.

I told my husband once it was fixed (extended warranty, yaaay) I wouldn't get back on it. I don't know how I will exercise, but I guess I have no choice but to find another way.

You're husband is an idiot. He needs to stop emotionally abusing you.

Sorry - it's true.

You get on that Nordic Track and ROCK IT, baby! Do what you need to do to get strong for you. He has his own problems to work out and they have nothing to do with you.
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    Wow. His first question should have been are you okay?

Don't feel bad about your weight instead try to feel good about the positive change you are making in your life. The world is an imperfect place and things break even though they shouldn't.

Personally I would think long and hard about whether your husband has your best interests at heart. You Can make this positive change. You got this, don't give up!
  • 2xMommaYork
    Options
    I know how you could lose 150-200+ lbs real fast... get rid of that guy.

In all seriousness, what a douche. Don't quit. Keep at it, FOR YOURSELF. If he can't be supportive, loving, and encouraging tell him to zip it or send him packing.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    It's quite possible it was just a manufacturer's defect. It happens. I have Livestrong elliptical and I didn't break mine at 250lbs. Don't let it discourage you, try it again when it's fixed and next time your husband tells you you're to big for it, tell him to find your backside and kiss it. :flowerforyou:
    This^ Even the "find your backside and kiss it" part. :wink:
  • Annesoucy1957
    Options
    dont sabotage your weight loss for an unkind comment.
  • LiveLoveLift67
    LiveLoveLift67 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    You need to loose the husband not the exercise machine!!! He has no right to speak to you that way. I weighed 330 when I started. My husband would never speak to me that way. I now way 128 and I swear to you he has never noticed if I gain or loose any weight until he sees pictures to compare. I married him 15 years ago at 330. I lost the 200 lbs 12 years ago. Do not let this make you quit. DO this for yourself!!! Do not let him win and I would have a serious chat with him!!!! You are worth it no matter what you weigh.

Yes , sounds like you would lose a ton of dead weight without him. Of course maybe he is trying to sabatoge you ...maybe it will make him feel bad about himself if you get fit and he is not.

Now about this quitting...i think that is an awful word and dont tell yourself that. How will you exercise now?? Well, your legs do seem to work so walk.....alot. Fast, slow, jog , in place...doesent matter just move. there are a ton of things you can do to lose weight so please dont make any excuses about your weight or not having something to use.

If you want this then please dont let anything or anyones small minded comments stop you from achieving it.
  • redhatorade
    redhatorade Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the positive comments. I took my 3 yr old, took the dog and went for a good old fashioned walk. I didn't burn a ton of calories but I did SOMETHING. I was active and I feel better. That along with the 10 minutes I did get on the elliptical is sufficient for me. I tried. Thanks again guys, you are all so supportive. :)
  • Phanntom
    Phanntom Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I second TuToMom's reply....he should never have been that insensitive. Continue on your journey and ignore his comments...your life will change with the self-confidence that will come from shedding the weight and getting in shape...then put your foot down....or better yet where the sun doesn't shine. You're better than that....we all are.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    My father spoke that way to all of us and we kids took it to heart. My mother, sister and I are still trying to get over it. So consider what his bone-headed accusatory abuse is teaching your daughter about what is proper adult behavior.

I have finally gotten so when my husband blurts out something along these lines that I take him to task for it. We just had this discussion this afternoon. When I started to return the shopping cart before he took the kitty litter off the bottom, he snapped, "Don't you ever look before you take the cart!" It's hard to fight the urge to shrink and apologize and take what he said as gospel truth and proof of my insufficiencies.

Instead, I have learned to correct him: "No, don't say that. You are supposed to say, 'Excuse me, Darling, but I think we have forgotten the kitty litter.'" If this doesn't result in sheepishness on his part and a bit of laughter for the two of you but instead results in an argument, then you have a bigger problem -- as does your daughter. This man needs to grow up and if he can't -- run like the wind!!!
  • AlyssamR6712
    AlyssamR6712 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    1. That is awful for him to react like that. My husband would NEVER do that to me. you may want to consider getting a new husband that respects you.

2. You can always go out for a walk, there is such thing as outside! :wink:
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    My father spoke that way to all of us and we kids took it to heart. My mother, sister and I are still trying to get over it. So consider what his bone-headed accusatory abuse is teaching your daughter about what is proper adult behavior.

I have finally gotten so when my husband blurts out something along these lines that I take him to task for it. We just had this discussion this afternoon. When I started to return the shopping cart before he took the kitty litter off the bottom, he snapped, "Don't you ever look before you take the cart!" It's hard to fight the urge to shrink and apologize and take what he said as gospel truth and proof of my insufficiencies.

Instead, I have learned to correct him: "No, don't say that. You are supposed to say, 'Excuse me, Darling, but I think we have forgotten the kitty litter.'" If this doesn't result in sheepishness on his part and a bit of laughter for the two of you but instead results in an argument, then you have a bigger problem -- as does your daughter. This man needs to grow up and if he can't -- run like the wind!!!

SO agree with all of this!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Your weight isn't making you do anything. And regardless of your husband's attitude, it's up to you to let it make you feel terrible. You are the one that is letting things get to you. You know the weight limit on the nordic and it's a machine. Sometimes things happen. You can either use this as an excuse to keep yourself from succeeding or just give it another go once it is fixed.

Even if you decide to do other exercises, that's fine. But at least get on it once so you can overcome this negative hurdle you just placed in front of yourself.
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    dont sabotage your weight loss for an unkind comment.
    Absolutely this ^^^^ get back on it!
  • LSinVA
    LSinVA Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Immediately, my husband starts going off on how I am too big for it and broke it, which really made me feel terrible.

If my husband spoke to me that way he'd have that pedal up his backside sideways. Wow. How encouraging. Here you are trying to do something about your weight and he belittles you for it. I'm not generally an advocate for divorce but you may need to lose more than just weight. There seems to be a lot of people on here with douchey significant others who do more to contribute to the weight gain than not.

It was not your weight, the thing was poorly made or not attached right. You shouldn't feel bad. Tell your husband to stuff it.
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Don't put all of your eggs in one basket and let the broken piece of equipment deter you from working out. it's just an excuse.....I have been there. Go walk or jog around the block.
  • LSinVA
    LSinVA Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    And regardless of your husband's attitude, it's up to you to let it make you feel terrible. You are the one that is letting things get to you.

I disagree. He clearly meant to make her feel badly. Some people are just *kitten* and when they say something hurtful, it's not the victim's fault for being hurt by it. What kind of backward logic is that? Your overall message was good, I just find this to be totally wrong.
  • Taiser
    Taiser Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    OK word to the wise. NorcicTrack is JUNK!!! I have a NT treadmill that has held up, what I would call OK, but has had numerous issues. I also have the Elliptical E15 and it has been a disaster!!! Not only the machine, which has had serious issues but the customer service from NT is the most horrible I've ever seen. There is NO reason for bad service when I spent 3800$ on a treadmill and 2400$ on a elliptical!!! Where do I even start...

When I got the elliptical it was missing a bag of bolts right from the box. Contacted the company and got them THREE MONTHS later!!! The heartbeat monitor conked out. The main bearings in the pedal broke and a bunch of steel parts fell out. When it let go the arm popped out and just about tore my leg off! Their repair rep (took 3 weeks to show up) is a guy in town that installs Geo-thermal heat systems??? WTF??? Ordered the new parts, took TWO MONTHS to arrive AND they were the wrong ones, they sent the bearings from the main wheel!!! Called them up and screamed bloody hell and they rushed the right ones but still took two weeks. Then when I phoned up the repair dude and he wasn't available to fix it for 3 weeks, so **** it I did it myself! It's been holding on so far.

Long story short, it's not you my dear, these things are garbage and I will NEVER buy another one. Too bad because as far as comfort and features go these things are the cat's meow! :( Now I'm just waiting for it to break again so I can justify buying a real commercial one. Elliptical rock for cardio and now that I know I will always use one, I'll get a better one. Sorry for venting, just pissed at this thing since day one!!! LOL