Need new friends doing the 5:2 diet (:

Options
2»

Replies

• Budgethefudge
    Options
    OK, more about the diet. There is no 'life span' of the diet, it's a way of life change. The thinking behind it is, that the human body never evolved to be fed constantly. For thousands of years, humans evolved to survive on a pattern of feast and famine, and the modern way of constantly eating is having catastrophic effects with heart disease, cancer and particularly diabetes becoming ever more prevalent.
    The amount of days you fast depends on how much weight you want to lose, or how high your indicators of contracting an affected disease - diabetes, cancer or heart disease are. If your cholesterol levels or fasting blood sugar are high, or you're very overweight, you'll be wanting to do a 5:2 or 4:3 fast pattern. If you're at a weight and level of health you're happy with, then a maintenance fasting pattern of 6:1 is recommended.
    The theory behind the diet regarding diabetes, is that for the fasting days, you are eating very low GI food - no sugar or carbs, and very low fat. This means that your body doesn't release insulin for those two fasting days. When you are constantly putting food into your body, your insulin levels remain unnaturally elevated, which vastly increases your risk of getting type 2 diabetes.
    As far as the reduction of cancer goes, fasting has another effect on your body. When you are eating often, your cell growth hormone is produced, which keep the cell growth gene constantly switched on, and as you may know, cancer is basically cells growing out of control. When you fast, this hormone is switched off, which turns the gene off, and the cell repair gene switches on instead. Tests in rats are showing that it's this effect which is also having an astonishing effect on dementia.
    The diet also typically reduces cholesterol and visceral fat (the fat which accumulates around your internal organs) which in turn reduces your risk of heart disease.
    It does take some will power, but hunger comes in waves and is not a constant. If you meal plan sensibly, and use mostly vegetables with a small amount of protein, then you can get a surprisingly large plate of food out of it. I generally have a scrambled egg with a slice of ham for breakfast, a bowl of strawberries (brilliant fasting food, low GI and only 33cals per 100g) for lunch, and a huge plate of stir fry with chicken, fish or prawns for dinner. I've been on the diet for 9 weeks, and I've lost a stone and a half. I don't plan on ever coming off the diet.
  • Budgethefudge
    Options
    Oh, and I forget to add, yes, I have the energy to work out, I do a 30 minute cardio followed by Insanity cardio abs EVERY week day! Many top athletes train on an empty stomach to promote fat loss and muscle growth.
  • chillier
    chillier Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    5:2 Started Monday was taking some medication standard Paracetamol and a anti inflammatory but with a low food intake made day one not to good. Thought would be fairly easy but stomach tightening was very frequent. Today Thursday decided to not take drugs and been a lot better.
  • Budgethefudge
    Options
    Plenty of water and a cup of herbal tea can soothe your tummy chillier, and if you're really struggling, have a handful of strawberries. They are really loo GI and only 33cals per 100g.
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Im not doing the 5:2 but i do 16/8. It helps me to control my macros. That's why I like intermittent fasting. I'm stil in all my macros. not dpriving my body. Anywho, u can add me or I will add you
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, how long is the span of this diet? It seems that though it works while you're on it, but what happens when you decide to go back to a normal week of caloric intake?

If you keep counting macros, everything will stay the same,
  • tayba85
    tayba85 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi all,im new here... Wud like some motivation and advice please!!!
    I was wondering if a nursing mom(( me)) can do th 5:2 diet.. And wud it have any impact on milk production...
    I need to lose (atleast) 10 kg in 8 weeks..
    All th tips on how to achieve this and types of food, meal plans wud b super appreciated
    ( sorry for th spellings mistakes)
  • Starbright20
    Options
    Hi,

I am new on here and want to try the 5:2 diet. When doing the two fast days, do those days have to be simultaneously one after the other or is best to do a fast day and then return to normal eating? Any advice appreciated. Thanks.x:smile:
  • Starbright20
    Options
    Hi, I am new on here and new to the 5.2 diet regime, would value some support and some ideas whilst going through the process, thanks. :smile:
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Hi all,im new here... Wud like some motivation and advice please!!!
    I was wondering if a nursing mom(( me)) can do th 5:2 diet.. And wud it have any impact on milk production...
    I need to lose (atleast) 10 kg in 8 weeks..
    All th tips on how to achieve this and types of food, meal plans wud b super appreciated
    ( sorry for th spellings mistakes)
    According to the fastdiet.co.uk website pregnant or breastfeeding Mums are NOT recommended to follow IF.
    http://thefastdiet.co.uk/michael-answers-frequently-asked-questions/

Here's a link to an active 5:2 group on here.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8005-5-2-fasting

To people throwing their hands up in horror at the idea of having two very low calorie days you should consider the other side of the coin - you are having five days a week eating normally and still losing weight slowly and steadily.
    Personally I found it far easier for adherence to a weekly calorie goal (effectively you are "dieting" one day at a time) and it helped support a heavy exercise routine.

It's a different eating pattern rather than a weight loss diet. Doesn't suit everyone but it really suits me.
  • Amberellie11
    Amberellie11 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am new on here and new to the 5.2 diet regime, would value some support and some ideas whilst going through the process, thanks. :smile:

They shouldn't be two consecutive days in a row. You do want at least a day in-between the fasting days according to the author.

As far as exercise, personally, I tend to make my fasting days Tuesdays and Thursdays (but change around as needed) and I don't push myself too hard physically. Typically walking for numbers on my fitbit (10,000 steps a day if possible) and maybe a yoga or a palates video but it's really up to you and how you are feeling on the day.

I sorta fell off the bandwagon with my 5:2 and am trying to jump back on myself! So feel free to add me for the moral support! GL! :smile:
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    1. Zombie Thread from March 2013
    2. Why not eat at a reasonable calorie deficit instead?
  • ruthejp13
    ruthejp13 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'm willing to give it a try. I might start with only 1 day a week and still do appox. 1250 calories the other days.

edit: I think this makes better sense than cheat days.
  • Amberellie11
    Amberellie11 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    When is everyone doing their fast day(s) this coming week? I might need companions to help me get through the day! My moving house stress seems to be triggering my stress eating...so maybe a friend or two for day moral support would help? :happy: