CHICKEN?!

Options
vha2
vha2 Posts: 64 Member
MAN I had no idea how many calories are in chicken!! 1 cup of roast chicken meat - no skin - 266cal! Add a bit of potato and veg and one meal is nearly half of my daily allowance.. imagine those restaurants that serve up a massive chicken breast wrapped in bacon and filled with cream cheese - never again!!! :O

Replies

• ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    How is that half of your daily allowance??

Boneless skinless chicken breast provides some of the BEST bang for the calories in terms of nutrition, namely protein. Keep eating it!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Do NOT measure your chicken in cups. Or any solids, for that matter. Invest in a food scale and go by weight.

Chicken breast is amazing bang for your buck! And how low is your daily allowance that that would be half of it??
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    15q9jll.gif
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    MAN I had no idea how many calories are in chicken!! 1 cup of roast chicken meat - no skin - 266cal! Add a bit of potato and veg and one meal is nearly half of my daily allowance.. imagine those restaurants that serve up a massive chicken breast wrapped in bacon and filled with cream cheese - never again!!! :O

Different cuts are leaner. The breast only is leaner. A cup is also a lot more than it sounds like.

Get a scale.

Stop being silly.

Chicken and pork are some of the leanest meats out there.

If you think that's bad look up beef.

It really is calorie dense.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Yes. You got it. Eat small for your other meals.
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I couldn't exist without chicken. If you think it's too many calories, then half your portion and fill up on green vegetables. But, the protein you get from chicken is, to me, worth the calories.
  • vha2
    Options

Boneless skinless chicken breast provides some of the BEST bang for the calories in terms of nutrition, namely protein. Keep eating it!
  • vha2
    Options

I said a cup of roast chicken meat plus potato and veg and the entire meal is nearly half of my daily allowance.. my daily is 1200, that meal is 500 so yeah that's nearly half..?
  • vha2
    Options

Different cuts are leaner. The breast only is leaner. A cup is also a lot more than it sounds like.

Surely you've seen the size of some of the chicken breasts restaurants dish up - they'd be at least a cup's worth. And I swear the most common chicken breast meal I see on menus is stuffed with cream cheese and wrapped in bacon. Just saying, previously I would have eaten that and thought, 'ooh I'm being a bit naughty'. Now if I ordered it I'd think, 'I can't eat for a week!'
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    If the chicken is taking up too much of your calorie allotment, switch to seafood. Light fish like hake or mahi mahi or talapia come out to around 90-110 cals for a 4 oz. serving with around 20 g of protein. You can broil it with some lemon juice and spices without adding a bunch of calories.
  • vha2
    Options
    If the chicken is taking up too much of your calorie allotment, switch to seafood. Light fish like hake or mahi mahi or talapia come out to around 90-110 cals for a 4 oz. serving with around 20 g of protein. You can broil it with some lemon juice and spices without adding a bunch of calories.

Good idea, thanks for suggesting an alternative - might have to up the fish intake a bit :smile:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    How do you go about measuring a cup of chicken? 4 oz of chicken breast comes out to around 120 calories...your standard chicken breast is generally going to be between 8 and 10 ounces usually.

Really, this is where weight and using a food scale is important and beneficial...I could fit a **** ton of chicken in a cup if I cut it up small enough. In general this is where learning proper portions comes into play...

I'd also suggest maybe doing some exercise so you could eat a bit more than 1200 calories...1200 calories is nothing and it is when MfP defaults to when you put "sedentary" and 2 Lbs per week. You can eat more and still lose weight...if you want to stick with 1200 that is fine, but realize that is for sedentary and exercise increases your calories so you can eat more and still accomplish the same thing and not use up half your daily allotment on one meal that was really a pretty darned reasonable meal.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options

I said a cup of roast chicken meat plus potato and veg and the entire meal is nearly half of my daily allowance.. my daily is 1200, that meal is 500 so yeah that's nearly half..?
    '

A serving of chicken is 4oz, so if you're eating the massive 10oz breast that's 350 calories and 65 grams of protein! You don't need to eat that much for one meal.

I would suggest dropping the potato.
  • vha2
    Options

Mmmmmm that looks delicious!! Funnily enough I have taken chicken out for dinner tonight but am going to a boxing class so we're even steven.

Also I don't talk in ounces so I'm getting brain hurty from so many calculations! Good to get used to it though since I'm holidaying in the US for the first time in a couple weeks :happy:
  • RodaRose
    Options

Good idea, thanks for suggesting an alternative - might have to up the fish intake a bit :smile:

Also this:

Shrimp has slightly fewer calories than chicken.

6 oz of chicken breast (boneless, skinless, cooked) = 276
    6 oz of shrimp (baked or broiled) = 260
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    75 grams of chicken = 124 cals and made a nice sandwich yesterday with two slices of bread and mayo for a total of 309 cals

consider what you are eating with your chicken and maybe cut back a bit on your serving size?
  • vha2
    Options
    I feel like I'm a little misunderstood here - I'm not saying 'chicken is bad, don't eat it'. I'm saying it is higher in calories than I thought it would be; my pre-MFP chicken serving size would be a whole lot bigger than my post-MFP chicken serving size. It's making me think more about how much of it I have and what I eat with it. Is no one else the same?

That is all.
  • RodaRose
    Options
    I know what you are saying and you are going to be fine.
    Some us have been doing this off and on forever (when I was a kid my mom counted calories so I can tell you the calories of anything). Some of us are new to the calorie thing.
    People in this thread are trying to be helpful and once a person starts a thread they have no idea in what direction it will go.
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    i'm eating 600 calories worth of chicken tonight. nom nom.