Muscle gain vs weight gain...how much is too much?

Options
I have been exercising mostly cardio (elliptical) for 3 months. Usually i exercise 160-198 minutes (2000-2500 cal loss). I am overweight and i want to be more healthy. So i just added muscle/strength training with dumbbell. My weight goes up from 230 to 240. In my fantasy land:glasses: i want to weigh 120 for my 5'5 ft body but realistically:grumble: i want first reach 190lb than work my way down.
When i go to the gym i workout 2500 and later on that day i eat 2000cal.
When i dont go i eat 1500-50 cal. With plenty of water.

Am i overeating on my gym days or undereating?
Am i working out too much?

Let me warn you i come from a brazilian family so latin food comes around my dinner table.
I try to keep from fried foods and sugary stuff. I sometimes eat lean cusine or smart ones by weightwatchers to avoid eating delicious temptations.:happy: .
Please give me some tips.

Replies

• mr_mitch
    mr_mitch Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    you mean you're eating 4500 calories on gym days?

I would say this is probably too much.

you probably don't burn 2000 - 2500 calories in a gym session. even if it is for a long period of time. exercise machines overestimate a lot.

most people eat back 50 - 75% of calories burned
  • coaoalo
    coaoalo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I would say that you're vastly overeating on your gym days. I severely doubt that you're burning 2000 calories in a work out, even one as long as yours. Gym machines, MFP and even HRM are all inaccurate to different degrees about calories burnt. As long as you're not injuring yourself then workout as much as you like to but if I were you I'd change it up a bit.
  • frangrann
    frangrann Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    The elliptical and stationary bike at a good pace burn like 200 cal in 20 min so if you did those for 160 min you would burn 1600 cal.

If you do a 5 min warm up, weights for 30 and cardio for 30 you would have a good work out. What's your HR?…. cause that has a lot to do with fat burn.

As for calories why are you eating so many on gym days? What is your target calorie goal? Seems like you are eating way too many even if you work out. You need to be at a deficit if you are going to loose.

Good luck to you.