What SHOULD you do when you plateau?

Options
I was wanting to ask this early on while I'm losing weight successfully and well. I've been told that the best thing to do when you plateau is to lower your calorie intake either when you do plateau or lose a certain amount of weight to avoid plateauing all together. Is this right, or what else would you all say works, either from experience or from what you've seen or read?

One article I saw said to just keep doing what you're doing for three weeks and it'll stop on its own, but I"m not sure if I buy into that--or anything, for that matter.

Replies

• Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    How do you define a plateau? Are we taking a week or two of seeming stall or months?

I "plateaued" for over a year and a half. My *kitten* was just eating at maintenance. When I cut my calories I no longer was in a plateau.

The overwhelming majority of "plateaus" are people who've lost weight but never adjusted their caloric intake down to reflect their new TDEE. What you ate to help lose weight 30 lbs ago could easily be maintenance today, especially if you had a mild deficit.
  • Annesoucy1957
    Options
    when hitting a plateau the first thing I would do is reevaluate my calorie needs, make sure Im not exceeding them and adjust my physical activities. I would do the same if I was at maintenance and seeing a slight increase in weight.

I would not eat more to trick my body it is quite smart and cannot be fooled easily high IQ :0)
  • chelseababy22
    chelseababy22 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I found that when I plateaued I needed a system shock- and you can decide what system shock you would want. Some people do a cheat day and others do a cleanse. Up to you- both have worked for me
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Adjust your caloric intake and maybe change up your routine! Try that for a few weeks and see what happens.