can't find any running shorts with pockets!?!

Options
2»

Replies

• nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I have an arm band that I bought from the Running Room that wasn't specific to a particular phone....I keep my gym card in it all the time, it fits my phone, and will fit my key including my car fob when I'm on an outdoor run. It really isn't bulky even though it sounds like it would be. :)
  • 303enfield
    303enfield Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    what about a belt and you could put some pockets on the belt like in the army
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I picked up an armband at TJ Maxx a few years ago for under $10 - works great and has a spot for a key. I also have a small Nathan Shadow Pak that I use if I need to carry anything more than that - also found at TJ Maxx for around $7 (also good for carrying cash, cards & phone at amusement parks!).

TJ Maxx, Marhsall's and Ross often have things like this for a whole lot less than retail - worth checking out.
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    If you wan't something with a zipper, I use a SPIbelt. If you google it, the website pops up. I believe most local running stores carry it or some variant.

I was also going to suggest SPIBELT. It holds a ton of items, and doesn't bounce around much.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Contrary to some of the posts above, some runners need/want pockets in their shorts. I'm one of them.

I have running shorts from Lululemon that have 5 pockets, and 3 of those pockets are big enough for a smart phone. They aren't baggy shorts though, OP - these ones are fitted. I'm not sure where to look for baggy ones with pockets, as I've never looked for that type.
  • Nightcometh
    Nightcometh Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Make your own pockets and sew them into your shorts!
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    If you want something with a zipper, I use a SPIbelt. If you google it, the website pops up. I believe most local running stores carry it or some variant.

This. SPIbelts are awesome!
    They are teeny, tiny, fanny packs! :laugh: :laugh: I didn't know they were making a comeback, but those are pretty neat looking.
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    2 options - you can go the belt/fanny pack route, never much cared for it myself. I generally run in basketball shorts, I get cheap ones from KMart and they have deep pockets. One downside, you have to be weary of how securely the pockets attach. I have a few different brands, and I've found that some have floppier pockets than others, and my phone just goes crazy bouncing around. I get Athletech (8 dollars at KMart), and everything stays in place during my run. 3rd option, you can get an armband wallet that will hold an ID, key and credit card, you can also get arm bands that hold a phone/ipod. I don't care for them because I sweat a lot and they are a bit constricting, but I"m also a bigger guy.
  • chloeealicee
    chloeealicee Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Get an armband for your phone, most have a little slot for a key.
    I tried the armband. It drove me nuts.

I can imagine feeling the same, my earphones whipping me in the arm and face looks incredibly unappealing.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Contrary to some of the posts above, some runners need/want pockets in their shorts. I'm one of them.

I have running shorts from Lululemon that have 5 pockets, and 3 of those pockets are big enough for a smart phone. They aren't baggy shorts though, OP - these ones are fitted. I'm not sure where to look for baggy ones with pockets, as I've never looked for that type.

Is it possible for you to somehow link the shorts you are talking about?
    I've been looking for something for so long.

My athleta running skirt has one back pocket.
  • sk8trchk
    sk8trchk Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Lululemon has tops with pockets for your cell. I'll admit though, I *hate* the sloshing around of my phone while it smacks me. I can't use an armband because I've had lymph nodes removed, so I carry mine in it's case while I run.

my phone gets sweaty when I hold it so I slip it in between my bra and sports bra (yes I wear 2 bras). It doesn't move around too much. If I forget to bring my earbuds with me I can always turn the music up and it plays directly to me without bothering everyone else since I listen to some pretty inappropriate stuff.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

http://shop.lululemon.com/products/clothes-accessories/shorts-run/Dart-and-Dash-Short-Block-It-Pocket
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Running shorts tends to be pretty minimalist, and arm bands can be annoying. Another vote for spibelt. Those things are cool. They're not as clunky as a fanny pack.

If you don't want the keys to damage the phone while it's in there, you can also thread a key through your shoelace... I've done that a few times if I was pocketless or didn't want them bouncing around so much. Just takes a couple minutes to get it off of the keychain loop. Then slide the key under my woven laces on the shoe's tongue, then thread the bow through the hole in the top of the key.

I also have a shirt with a small zippered pocket in the side, I think Fila?, but it's a little annoying too. Useful in a pinch though.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options

http://shop.lululemon.com/products/clothes-accessories/shorts-run/Dart-and-Dash-Short-Block-It-Pocket

Thank you so much. This is perfect. Truly appreciated.
  • amykay9377
    amykay9377 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I swear by Sparkle Skirts. They are running skirts that have shorts attached and three pockets - one pocket on each thigh (big, too) and a long waist pocket (it runs from hip to hip). You can wear the skirt with the waist pocket in front or in back. They have basic colors or fun colors (the one I posted is basic black with fun polka-dot shorts!)

I use the waist pocket for my cell phone or iPod and I can run the earbuds up through my shirt (and under my bra, if I need to) to my ears - no dangling cord. Other pockets hold water (small 8oz fit) or my inhaler. The waist pocket also holds my key and my chapstick.

DSC_0052_f31c6036-1deb-4c45-b5b2-ce5cd2df0509_large.jpg?v=1388436143

DSC_0048_abbc7d01-782e-41fc-b788-8ef89c3cae17_large.jpg?v=1388436184
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Under Armour dri-fit running shorts have pockets and are very comfortable. If you run a LOT (I do), I have went away from carrying my phone and switched to a GPS running watch (Garmin Forerunner 220) and an iPod Shuffle. Then, I tie my house or car key to the drawstring of my shorts.

Hope that helps! Happy running!
  • Laurarmeyer
    Laurarmeyer Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Ugh. Why they don't put pockets in women's athletic apparel I'll never know. I've noticed the C9 brand at Target or regular Champion brand have deeper pockets than the upmarket brands like Brooks, Nike, etc. Good luck.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Why not just use "nature's pocket"?
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    I just watched a review of summer shorts at gingerrunner.com. He is a huge fan of pockets and he said all of the shorts he reviewed had a ladies model as well. Tons of pockets in the 5 shorts he reviewed.
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I bought a pair from roadrunner sports.

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/RRL1017/womens-rgear-high-five-pocket-5-short/

I also like these because they are a bit longer than regular shorts. They are a bit pricey - but I love them. I am also going to be getting a spibelt too. I ran with a friend's and loved it as well. Even though it's not water proof, my friend will just put her phone in a baggy and that keeps it dry.