Potatoes, potatoes, potatoes!

Options
My roommate LOVES potatoes, and I was wondering if anyone had any healthier options to steer her away from fried and heavily buttered!

Replies

• SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I love potatoes. .. russet potatoes baked in the oven, then smothered in butter and cheese

Or sweet potatoes baked in the oven, then smothered in butter, cinnamon, and marshmallows.

There's nothing wrong with them, so as long as you're getting your necessary nutrients and staying within whatever calorie allotment you need for your desired effect (weight loss, maintenance, surplus)
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I have baked sweet potatoes with a bit of goat's cheese on top.
    I also like baked potatoes with hummus. I hear Greek yoghurt can be a versatile topping too.
    I regularly, however, have baby new potatoes that are in a herb butter and not had any issues with them in terms of weight. Really, baked and boiled are the best options and a little butter is fine.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    My roommate LOVES potatoes, and I was wondering if anyone had any healthier options to steer her away from fried and heavily buttered!

What business is it of yours??
  • Annesoucy1957
    Options
    Potato salad: boil potatoes with skin, let them cool, peel and slice. Add green onions, dried mint, lemon juice and a touch very little olive oil.

Oven roasted potatoes with rosemary just spritz olive oil on the potatoe wedges.

Mashed potatoes with carrots and turnips without butter but adding skim milk.

Baked potatoe topped with a little greek yogourt mixed with oregano and garlic.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I make potato salad by steaming cubed potatoes and then pouring on a yogurt-based salad dressing and some salt and spices. It's super delicious, and way less calories than mayo or butter.

Mashed sweet potatoes with salt and fresh-ground nutmeg are a wonderful side.
  • lalunabell
    lalunabell Posts: 25
    Options
    She cooks for us a lot and uses a lot of potatoes and I want healthier options?
  • lalunabell
    Options
    Thanks! They just tend to be a weakness, and since she cooks more than me I want to be on top!
  • gary241069
    gary241069 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Boiled with mixed herbs? I works for me
  • lalunabell
    Options
    Potato salad: boil potatoes with skin, let them cool, peel and slice. Add green onions, dried mint, lemon juice and a touch very little olive oil.

Oven roasted potatoes with rosemary just spritz olive oil on the potatoe wedges.

Mashed potatoes with carrots and turnips without butter but adding skim milk.

Baked potatoe topped with a little greek yogourt mixed with oregano and garlic.

Thanks!
  • lalunabell
    Options
    I make potato salad by steaming cubed potatoes and then pouring on a yogurt-based salad dressing and some salt and spices. It's super delicious, and way less calories than mayo or butter.

Mashed sweet potatoes with salt and fresh-ground nutmeg are a wonderful side.

That sounds great, thank you!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mcfzwc245z1rjgcy1o1_400_zps7a6f9a50.gif

I prefer them roasted. I especially like the little red new potatoes, tossed in oil and seasoned with garlic, italian seasoning, and sea salt.
  • lalunabell
    Options

• lalunabell
    Options
    tumblr_mcfzwc245z1rjgcy1o1_400_zps7a6f9a50.gif

I prefer them roasted. I especially like the little red new potatoes, tossed in oil and seasoned with garlic, italian seasoning, and sea salt.

Lol, I like the gif, thanks! She just tends to load them up with butter, and I love potatoes too! So, I am seeing if there are other ways we can try them. Thank ya!
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Mmm, I eat potatoes nearly every day. Good fiber, vitamins, and potassium source. Since your roommate does the majority of cooking, and likes to make them, perhaps you could ask that she leave the butter out, so you can flavor then as you wish. That way, you each can season them as you wish once they're plated.

Or, you don't have to eat them, ask to make your own. Baked or microwaved in the jacket. Easy, quick and unimposing. A little dollop of plain yogurt on top (tastes like sour cream, if you like that) and a dash of salt.
  • gdjester1
    gdjester1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Have you tried mashed cauliflower? With some salt, pepper, and a little low-fat cheddar, it's pretty good
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

Sweet potatoes then. Baked, grilled, etc. But nothing wrong with regular potatoes (I personally think they're a waste of my calories) - just tell her to add her extras after she serves them up?
  • lalunabell
    Options
    Mmm, I eat potatoes nearly every day. Good fiber, vitamins, and potassium source. Since your roommate does the majority of cooking, and likes to make them, perhaps you could ask that she leave the butter out, so you can flavor then as you wish. That way, you each can season them as you wish once they're plated.

Or, you don't have to eat them, ask to make your own. Baked or microwaved in the jacket. Easy, quick and unimposing. A little dollop of plain yogurt on top (tastes like sour cream, if you like that) and a dash of salt.

I may do that! She's looking to eat them healthier too, but so far none of the recipes she has seen sounded good to her, so I thought I'd ask. I am writing all the ideas down, thank you!
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Potato bar is very popular here. Just have her bake them and you can choose from many ways to top it. My favorite is cottage cheese, chive, and splash of hot sauce..
  • arac62
    arac62 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Roasted!! Wash, cube, toss with some olive oil and seasoning. Basic salt and pepper are delicious, but rosemary, garlic, or a little Parmesan cheese are good options as well.

Not sure about cooking times because I usually don't cook carby things for myself by i'm sure you can find a recipe. My mom used to make this all the time when I lived at home.
  • Catter_05
    Catter_05 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Roasted!! Wash, cube, toss with some olive oil and seasoning. Basic salt and pepper are delicious, but rosemary, garlic, or a little Parmesan cheese are good options as well.

Not sure about cooking times because I usually don't cook carby things for myself by i'm sure you can find a recipe. My mom used to make this all the time when I lived at home.

When I was still allowed to eat them :( I loved them roasted with olive oil, fresh rosemary, salt and pepper. Just simple and tasty :)
    I liked them baked with butter, salt, pepper, cheese, broccoli... endless possibilities. Potatoes are so versatile.