Recovery and Extreme Hunger

Options
So recently, this round of recovery and refeeding from anorexia is much different than the others. I seem to be hungry ALL the time and I've been eating my meal plan which is set to get me up to a healthier weight. This scares me so much. It triggers me and I'm feeling out of control. I'm petrified that I'm going to gain too much and I'm confused because I've been eating my meal plan. Maybe it's that time of the month and that just explains it for me. I'm frustrated and not sure how to respond. I know I sound dumb but yeah. Any advice from someone who has recovered? Or maybe this just thirst disguised as hunger? I've been drinking water though too.

Replies

• SeekingFitness
    Options
    Your body has been at a deficit for so long and now when you feed it it's finally saying food!! I need this! I have been deprived and now I need it! Your body is simply trying to heal itself. It's not bad, and you're not doing anything wrong, actually you're doing something very right. You're healing.

I'd like to congratulate you on the fact that you have chosen recovery from this horrible illness, I myself am trying to recover from an ED right now. Good luck on your recovery, hope it goes amazing!
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    You have taken the first big steps so I'm super proud of you!

I think you need to fill in your food diary, use it to help monitor and so others can better advise/help you.

keep eating what they told you, you feel hungry because of a number of reasons, one might be your monthly. it might also not be hunger but desire... some things you are so not use to eating or eating more than a bite of that your mind might be saying oh hey lets have more, to tell if you are really in need of more, wait 20 minutes, go read or clean or watch TV something and if after 20-30 minutes you still feel hungry go eat something.

So just ride this out, it will take time for your body to heal itself and get on an even level but know this... IT WILL!!! You are just really awesome and it's great that you are taking your body and health back!
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I think that is a pretty common thing that happens. It is completely normal! You need all the calories your body is craving to heal itself. You won't gain too much weight, don't worry! (Though I know that is probably extremely hard for you to do).

Have a look at the site Your Eatopia. It is an amazing and very informative resource for ED recovery. Here's one post, in particular, you might find helpful, on extreme hunger-- this is just part 1. There's a part 2 as well which you'll find if you go to the "popular blog posts" page. http://www.youreatopia.com/blog/2012/5/22/extreme-hunger-what-is-it.html

Good for you for being in recovery!

If you're working with a nutritionist/therapist/doctor who you find helpful, let them know about this. I'm sure if you have somebody on your side who specializes in ED recovery, they will be able to reassure you. Good luck!
  • PeacefulBalance
    PeacefulBalance Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Your body has been at a deficit for so long and now when you feed it it's finally saying food!! I need this! I have been deprived and now I need it! Your body is simply trying to heal itself. It's not bad, and you're not doing anything wrong, actually you're doing something very right. You're healing.

I'd like to congratulate you on the fact that you have chosen recovery from this horrible illness, I myself am trying to recover from an ED right now. Good luck on your recovery, hope it goes amazing!

Thank you so much, you're too kind. And I wish you the best in your recovery as well! You can do this!!
  • PeacefulBalance
    Options
    You have taken the first big steps so I'm super proud of you!

I think you need to fill in your food diary, use it to help monitor and so others can better advise/help you.

keep eating what they told you, you feel hungry because of a number of reasons, one might be your monthly. it might also not be hunger but desire... some things you are so not use to eating or eating more than a bite of that your mind might be saying oh hey lets have more, to tell if you are really in need of more, wait 20 minutes, go read or clean or watch TV something and if after 20-30 minutes you still feel hungry go eat something.

So just ride this out, it will take time for your body to heal itself and get on an even level but know this... IT WILL!!! You are just really awesome and it's great that you are taking your body and health back!

Thank you so much for all the advice and positivity! I have been just waiting/riding the hunger out but it never seems to go away. It's like the growling sensation in the pit of the stomach. You are so very sweet and I appreciate your response SO much!! Thank you!
  • PeacefulBalance
    Options
    I think that is a pretty common thing that happens. It is completely normal! You need all the calories your body is craving to heal itself. You won't gain too much weight, don't worry! (Though I know that is probably extremely hard for you to do).

Have a look at the site Your Eatopia. It is an amazing and very informative resource for ED recovery. Here's one post, in particular, you might find helpful, on extreme hunger-- this is just part 1. There's a part 2 as well which you'll find if you go to the "popular blog posts" page. http://www.youreatopia.com/blog/2012/5/22/extreme-hunger-what-is-it.html

Good for you for being in recovery!

If you're working with a nutritionist/therapist/doctor who you find helpful, let them know about this. I'm sure if you have somebody on your side who specializes in ED recovery, they will be able to reassure you. Good luck!

Thank you for all the information! I will definitely check that site out! Thank you SO much! It means a lot!
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    9. Do Not Post the Same Topic on Multiple Boards or Groups

Please choose the most appropriate board or group for your post and post it once. Posting the same message to multiple boards or multiple groups is a form of spam. Please note that this is NOT a guideline against inadvertently posting a question another member has asked before. We explicitly allow members to post questions that have been asked previously by other members. If you see a member post a topic that you think has been asked before by another member, please respond politely or simply move on. However, the same member cannot ask the same question or post the same topic more than once.
  • PeacefulBalance
    Options
    I apologize, I never meant it as spam. I wasn't sure where it fit for me. Clearly I won't be doing it again.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    In addition to your meal plan, if you still feel hungry, how about a great big salad with lots of types of veggies, and a healthy/light type of dressing? I am all about "filling the hole" with fresh vegetables.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    congratulations on your recovery. The refeeding process can seem scary and overwhelming but just know that when done properly, will work. Tell yourself that you are eating to become healthy and try your best to keep to your given plan. Good luck! :-)
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options

Please choose the most appropriate board or group for your post and post it once. Posting the same message to multiple boards or multiple groups is a form of spam. Please note that this is NOT a guideline against inadvertently posting a question another member has asked before. We explicitly allow members to post questions that have been asked previously by other members. If you see a member post a topic that you think has been asked before by another member, please respond politely or simply move on. However, the same member cannot ask the same question or post the same topic more than once.

Bit harsh.
  • PeacefulBalance
    Options
    In addition to your meal plan, if you still feel hungry, how about a great big salad with lots of types of veggies, and a healthy/light type of dressing? I am all about "filling the hole" with fresh vegetables.

That's something I could definitely try! I wouldn't be as frightened of that! :) thank you!
  • PeacefulBalance
    Options
    congratulations on your recovery. The refeeding process can seem scary and overwhelming but just know that when done properly, will work. Tell yourself that you are eating to become healthy and try your best to keep to your given plan. Good luck! :-)

Thank you!! You are very sweet! Im going to talk with my dietitian and if my weight isn't moving much with doing my meal plan it could just be that my body needs more. I'm less panicked today lol but I could be panicked in 20 min haha who knows!
  • PeacefulBalance
    Options

Bit harsh.

It's okay lol. Usually I do get all riled up from someone being a little harsh but surprisingly I don't care today lol. However, I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought it was a little rough.
  • Elretardo616
    Options
    I cant say much about the recovery apart from ****in well done! And stick to it. But i know what its like to be hungry all the time. Im dieting and am used to eating up to 5000 cals a day. Heres what i do. I schedule my my most filling foods for later in the say when im most hungry. Foods like oats, pasts and potatoes are great as theyre filling. I make my oats really thick, just keep adding water and cook longer, this is really filling. Im not a vegetable lover but if i eat rice or pasta with sauces i throw broccoli in there and handfuls of very finely chopped spinach, which you dont even know is there when its chopped and wilted but really fills you. Basically bulk up your meals with extra stuff. If you can afford the calories in your plan then bread and cheese can be filling. And finally i drink diet pop. Its sweet and fizzy and satisfies me for at least a little while between meals.
  • PeacefulBalance
    Options
    I cant say much about the recovery apart from ****in well done! And stick to it. But i know what its like to be hungry all the time. Im dieting and am used to eating up to 5000 cals a day. Heres what i do. I schedule my my most filling foods for later in the say when im most hungry. Foods like oats, pasts and potatoes are great as theyre filling. I make my oats really thick, just keep adding water and cook longer, this is really filling. Im not a vegetable lover but if i eat rice or pasta with sauces i throw broccoli in there and handfuls of very finely chopped spinach, which you dont even know is there when its chopped and wilted but really fills you. Basically bulk up your meals with extra stuff. If you can afford the calories in your plan then bread and cheese can be filling. And finally i drink diet pop. Its sweet and fizzy and satisfies me for at least a little while between meals.

Thank you so much for all of the helpful ideas!! I will definitely be using them! :) I appreciate it so much.