What is the deal with carbs?

Options
Hi everyone,

The app says I'm ingesting too many carbs (way too many). If I work out 45 minutes medium intensity (Zumba or something). Could I still lose weight? I'm working on eating differently, but I cannot win the victory over fruit and the occasional gum I bear. Am I sabotaging my own success or will the workouts even out everything b/c I burn the carbs?

I would rather workout to be able to have the occasional subway veggie delight. Could this result in weight loss? Thanks so much.

A work in progress...

Terri

Replies

• mrshilderley
    Options
    I am also always going over in my carbs. I have talked about this with the trainers at the gym. They have told me that not all carbs are bad. Fruits are carbs and will count towards that. are you looking at the pie chart or the list. The pie chart always says I am over but the list with the actual values say I am usually within target!
  • stickersticker
    stickersticker Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not the enemy when they are found in fruits and veggies. However if you eat two bananas and cereal in a day you're most likely going to be over. Focus more on a solid workout week and eating with a cal deficit. As well read these boards as they are rich in knowledge.
  • amgibson1980
    amgibson1980 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Cutting carbs is a great way to lose weight! I certainly understand the challenge of cutting foods you love, especially foods high in carbohydrates. HOWEVER, I think it is worth it. I have lost mega weight on low-carb diets (65 LBS in the past). It has taken 5 years and a baby, but I have slowly let myself sink back into the carb craze and have gained back 35 lbs! I am finally getting back on track and have knocked out my first 10 lbs. 25lbs to go to being comfortable again! It is hard, but it is the only thing that has ever worked for me and I have tried a little bit of everything. I think it really depends on you. You will see results quickly with a low-carb diet and I think that is excellent motivation. It might all even out in the wash with other diets and exercise programs, but sometimes its hard to stick to a diet and exercise regimen with no or little results. I know I get ansy if after two, three, four weeks of busting my *ss I'm only seeing enough weight loss that I might shrug off as water weight. So, that's why I go low-carb. A ten pound weight loss can see me through several weeks of little or nothing lost without impacting my will power to stay on my diet. :)
  • LifeNewandImproved
    LifeNewandImproved Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I would say that as long as you're getting at least 10% of your calories from fat and another 10% from protein you'll be okay. If you go too super low protein you'll have no energy and you'll start to lose your hair (at least I did). Too low of fat also has its own problems. If you're meeting at least that then I wouldn't worry :)
  • thyella
    thyella Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I just started a low carb (weight loss program) diet. They have me on very low carbs to start and then gradually increase. Upside I can eat stuff I've been avoiding. Cheese, any meat, salad dressing, avocados, sour cream. It is just a different thought process and for me (who loves carbs) the earlier I start eating them the more I crave throughout the day. On this you can adult your carb intact which will automatically increase your protein and fat. Also you can subtract your fiber and sugar from your carbs on labels since they are already included in the total carb. Hope this helps. Carbs are crazy tough for me.
  • warmbananas
    warmbananas Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think you helped me. Thank you so much. I'm glad to know I have some flexibility as I change my lifestyle gradually.

Appreciate you all.
  • heavydron
    heavydron Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Just to be clear, whether carbs (sugar) come from fruit (fructose) or candy (sucrose) they still turn into glucose when the body processes them. No real difference except the added benefit ofvitamins and nutrients you get from the fruit. But a carb is still a carb peoples.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Well, good news. Carbs are not the enemy! I ate about 250g of carbs during my weight loss and lost 53 lbs in 9 months (after my 6 week ppostpartum check up after having my second baby). What you'll want to focus on is calories for weight loss. Make sure you're getting about 1g per pound of lean body mass in protein if you're active a good amount of fats and fibers, your micros. But so long as you're balancing your other macros, health wise you'll be good ;) here's a good read

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not the enemy when you have your calories under control and you have no medical issues. All three macros have a rightful place in our regimen. Once you're protein, fat and micro minimums have been met, you can fill the rest of your allotted calories with whatever you choose, guilt free.

Cutting carbs will only result in a loss of water weight if the calorie/energy level is kept the same.

If certain foods cause you to go over your calorie goal (be they carbs, fat or protein), temporarily remove said foods and slowly reintroduce them once you can control your portions.

I would not cut carbs because I need the energy for my workouts. I enjoy eating them AND have lost weight/fat.

TL;DR = Carbs are not the enemy when it comes to weight loss. A surplus of calories (any macro) is what will cause you gain weight.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Cutting carbs was the only way I was able to lose weight. Fair warning...these boards are not pro-carb restriction.
    It works well for me, & I find it sustainable. However, many people will not.

If you don't think this is sustainable enough for you to continue through the weight loss process and on to maintenance, I suggest you find another way.

Otherwise you'll put the weight back on & that will suck =/
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Well, good news. Carbs are not the enemy! I ate about 250g of carbs during my weight loss and lost 53 lbs in 9 months (after my 6 week ppostpartum check up after having my second baby). What you'll want to focus on is calories for weight loss. Make sure you're getting about 1g per pound of lean body mass in protein if you're active a good amount of fats and fibers, your micros. But so long as you're balancing your other macros, health wise you'll be good ;) here's a good read

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Yes, this.

You may also find that you stay fuller with more protein/fat. Although personally I find fat/carbs to be better for satiety for me personally, but I seem to be an oddball in that respect.
  • conniekat8
    conniekat8 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Bottom line in weight loss is to create a calorie deficit.
    While you are doing that you also want to make sure that your are not ending up malnourished (getting a good balance of vitamins, minerals or nutrients) For most people a mix of 30-40% of calories from protein, 30-40% from carbs and about 20% or so from fat and staying away from processed foods tends to work well.
    This is assuming you don't have any medical conditions requiring adjustments or are not in athletic training which may require more refined adjustments.

In the 80's and 90's or so, 'everyone' was on a non-fat kick, and also protein came under the gun because it supposedly came with a lot of hidden fats. In last 10-15 years similar is said about carbs. These things come and go.
    I never had problems losing weight (large or small amounts) eating a middle of the road balanced nutrition over an extended period of time.
    Water gain... it's a short term temporary thing, I usually don't pay a whole lot of attention to it as long as on the long run my weight is going down (if I'm losing) or staying in the range I want. Your body can retain water for short periods of time (one to few days) for a number of reasons.

On individual basis, everyone's metabolism is a bit different, some people feel better eating a higher percentage of protein, others feel better with little less protein and more crabs.

Bottom line is, if you are trying to lose weight, ingesting 1500 calories a day and burning 2500, you will lose weight *almost* no matter what the calories come from. (I say *almost* because I am excluding very lopsided extreme cases - like 1400 calories from fat - and assuming we are talking about staying within a good common sense range)
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    Not all Carbs are created equal. I am a carb-a -holic Slowly I have made changes to my diet. I still eat carbs. If it isn't a protein or fat it falls into a carb category. I slowly started switching out carbs.. whole wheat pasta for just white pasta. Sweet potatoes Small changes add up to big changes. Good Luck
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not the enemy. I eat 250 carbs a day and had no problem losing weight . Create a reasonable but responsible deficit and you'll lose weight
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Unless you have an endocrine disease (diabetes, PCOS, insulin resistance, etc.), carbs aren't an issue.

However, if you are going over on carbs, you likely aren't hitting your protein and fat macros. Make sure you are eating a well-balanced "diet."
  • mikefinch87
    mikefinch87 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Swap out 3 eggs for the banana and cereal in the AM, and you will cut your carbs and feel full all morning. Throw some left over veggies in the eggs for some more nutrition.
  • ruthejp13
    ruthejp13 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    You want to get your protein if you are working out. Use this calculator: http://www.calculatorpro.com/calculator/protein-calculator/
    Once you meet that protein level, you can split the rest of the calories between carb and fat.
  • hiraethed
    hiraethed Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not the enemy at all. Calories are what will make weight loss/gain happen. I eat a crapton of carbs (seriously, 300+ grams per day, even 400) and I have a BMI of 19. As long as you USE your calories, wherever you get them from, you will lose weight. I am very active all day every day so I use those carbs. As long as I am getting a decent amount of protein and fats since those are used for various processes in the body, it's no biggie.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I really think it depends what your goals are.

I usually eat between 50-100g carbs per day and I'm very happy with that, have no loss of energy or brain function and am managing quite well. I tend to have oats or rice on a day that I'm doing a big workout and that suits me fine. Other than that my carbs are usually lots of veggies and a serve of fruit. Rest days I might have less than 50g carbs and again, I'm all good. But that's me.

Some people need more, want more and as long as they are reaching their goals, then I say - do whatever works for you!

In the end, you will lose "weight" over a period of time if you have a calorie deficit, achieved through either reduction in food calories or increase in exercise.

Body composition is a different matter and may require closer attention to macros and the form of exercise you choose.
  • ladyace0007
    Options
    For some reason, the rumor that carbs are bad has been perpetuated far too long. Carbs are absolutely not bad!

Carbohydrates = Energy

They fuel your life and your workouts. You should NEVER try to eat a low carb diet, especially if you are exercising regularly. Now, there is a difference between good carbs and bad carbs. Good: fruits and whole grains. Bad: refined, white flour and pasta.

As far as you going over your carbs, pay attention to your macro intake as a whole. Focus on eating balanced meals, with protein, carb, and fat sources represented. If you focus on increasing your protein intake, that will likely help balance your carbohydrate intake.

And as far as losing weight, there are factors that will affect short term weight loss, but long term it's all calories in vs. calories out. If you burn more than you eat, you will lose weight. That means you could eat nothing but twinkies, but if you have a calorie deficit you will lose weight. Beyond that, you're talking about overall health, not weight loss.