life gets in the way!

Isn't it annoying!

I was supposed to do my home workout today - I had to go out in the morning on an errand... no sooner was I home, just had time to grab lunch then had to go out again, didn't get back till 7pm... at which point I found out I had to head out for a family meal....

...therefore... no exercise for me (other than walking around most of the day, lol)

Obviously, I'll just pick it up tomorrow... but now my whole mon, wed, fri routine is totally out of whack!

/rant

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Sometime, things happen so you give yourself some flexibility. I usually walk the stairs at work a few times a day and walk during lunch just in case I can't get to the gym after work. Get it in whenever and wherever you could fit it in.
  • kansas_km
    kansas_km Posts: 73 Member
    Same thing happened to me plus I didn't eat fruits and veggies! Back to it tomorrow.
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    I have to drag myself out of bed early in the morning, because that same thing was happening to me too often.

Hang in there!
  • 12bfree
    12bfree Posts: 67 Member
    For the longest time I woke up at 4:30 am to be at the gym by 5:00 am. Did my workout, hit the shower, showed up to work at 6:30. It was the only time of day I didn't have any distractions. You may want to consider a similar schedule adjustment if "life" keeps getting in the way of your exercise.

At least you care enough to be concerned about it. Most people will use any excuse to stop exercising.
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Yep, life does get in the way. But, we make time for the things that matter to us. Just yesterday I knew I would not be able to fit in my regular exercise routine, so instead, while at work, offered to go outside and collect shopping carts and push them back into the store. It wasn't what I would have liked to have done, but it got my heart rate moving for a good half hour.
  • mr_mitch
    mr_mitch Posts: 176 Member
    Lol yeah and most annoying ... A meal out meant I couldn't accurately log my calories either!

Oh well, I'm back on it today, I may just have to do 2 days in a row which they don't recommend, but it will put me back on schedule at least!
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    That's been my whole week thus far! We're remodeling a house, so after work I'm able to get a quick 35 minutes in at the gym for cardio, but I've been unable to go home and do my kettlebell circuits because I'm over at the new house tearing down paneling. So frustrated!!!

I figure the work I'm doing over there is still better than going home and sitting on my bum, but I really miss my kettlebells. :( Hopefully tonight I can get to them.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    We all have days. What happened after the family dinner?

I prefer evening workouts but life gets in the way too much, so I HAVE to get up early and do it. Not easy for a night owl, but it is what it is.

This week has been rough, very sleep deprived, but I'm back at it tonight and tomorrow!

you CAN when it means enough
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Life is life and as all of us have figured out nothing ever goes exactly to plan. That's ok, missing one day isn't going to reverse all of the results you've worked for.

Squeeze in your next workout as soon as possible, make the family aware of your workout schedule when possible, there's always time for a walk (lunch time at work for ex).

Also, losing weight can be achieved by diet alone. I highly recommend getting in 2-3 days a week of exercise in per week for general health purposes but you can lose weight just by watching what you eat. I personally strive to workout 3-5 days a week, but I'm not devastated if I only get 2-3.
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Life does get in the way. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to reach my goal weight until 6 weeks after they bury me.

LOL! This'll be me too!

OP - how about doing your exercise at a time when everyone else is asleep? Early mornings are the best for me - no family or work to disrupt my workout!
  • mr_mitch
    mr_mitch Posts: 176 Member
    We all have days. What happened after the family dinner?

I prefer evening workouts but life gets in the way too much, so I HAVE to get up early and do it. Not easy for a night owl, but it is what it is.

This week has been rough, very sleep deprived, but I'm back at it tonight and tomorrow!

you CAN when it means enough

It was 10pm and I was totally beat from being on the go since 9 in the morning so I just couldn't face it then (on a full stomach too)

But I've made up for it today anyway!

Its a good idea getting up in the morning... But I am the least morning friendly person on the planet... There is no way in hell I'd ever have that much motivation!
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    It's not easy finding a balance. But look at it this way: turn it into a priority. You brush your teeth, shower, go to work on a regular basis. Make getting healthy as important as the other tasks you do on a daily basis.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    That happened to me Sunday...gym is open on the weekends 8-6, I worked 5-12 and then went over to my brother's place for a barbecue. Didn't get home until after 7. I just waited until Monday evening to get my workout in (since it was weight day)
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Get up early in the morning and get it done right away. Then there's no chance for excuses (from you or anyone else).
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    I've made the conscious decision to cut out social events and some errands in order for me to get my workouts in.

It's about commitment.
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    I have been doing this every Friday! I too try to do Mon, Wed, Fri rotations...Fridays always get the best of me. Either I have plans after work- or I am exhausted and want to just relax and have no motivation... Idk I felt like it was always something. So I then decided 5am work outs on Fridays are a must!
  • rsoice
    rsoice Posts: 212 Member
    I may just have to do 2 days in a row which they don't recommend, but it will put me back on schedule at least!

Not sure who made that recommendation but I've been working consecutive days for years.