Should we be drinking cow's milk?

Options
Just want to hear people's thoughts on the subject of cow's milk. I was recently told that no one should be drinking it. Im confused???

Replies

• shannondecamp
    Options
    Vegetable protein is SO much better for you than animal protein. I think that is why you hear that you shouldn't be drinking cow's milk. I really like Almond Breeze unsweetened vanilla almond milk... and only 40 calories per serving!
  • EmilieRM
    Options
    Not only does cows milk have some downfalls (don't get me wrong, it also has its benefits), but according to some studies, drinking milk from cows treated with growth hormones and antibiotics (non-organic) can lead to early puberty and development in adolescents, as well as breast cancer in women.
  • anovasjo
    anovasjo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegan, so I'm in the NO group.

If you're interested in more than our opinions, you should do some research online! Start by looking up something neutral like "cow milk" on google and go from there. :flowerforyou:
  • Pril2000
    Pril2000 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Some people probably say that because cows are treated with antibiotics and they believe that those same antibiotics can get into the milk and cause us to become immune to medicines that we may need in the future. The more antibiotics we're exposed to, the less effective they become and the more susceptible we are to diseases that would otherwise be treatable.

Also, milk can lead to various diseases if you drink whole milk. There's a lot of fat in whole milk.

Cows aren't treated very well in commercial dairy farms overall. Cows get the short end of the stick in any commercial/industrial environment.

A lot of people are lactose intolerant. You can get the same vitamins from other sources, so cow's milk isn't necessary.

I only drink soy milk at home because I prefer the taste, but I do drink a cup of skim milk every morning at work. It's from a local farm so I feel ok about it.

Hope this gives you a direction for your informational search.
  • Hourglass25
    Hourglass25 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I no longer drink cow milk, I swiched to almond milk.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Just watch what you're replacing your cows milk with.
    Soy milk is a popular replacement but something like 85% of the soy grown in North America is GMO... I prefer to avoid that stuff, I had cows of my own this year and I'd gladly have taken the milk straight just for the milking.
    At the very least source your cow's milk so it's growth hormone free - should be labeled so. I do drink whole milk though it irks me that it is less processed than 1% or 2% and costs more.
  • SkierElle
    SkierElle Posts: 335
    Options
    Westerners have EVOLVED to consume cow's milk (scn4 gene I believe). We would not be the way we are today without animal protein, it fuels brain growth and activity as well as many other VITAL things. Drinking cow's milk is associated with a decreased risk of cardio diseases and decreased risk of osteoarthritis. The REAL, NATURAL calcium found in cow's milk is needed for bone strength in childhood and in post-menopausal women especially. Most dairies now do NOT use bST and it is easy to find milk that doesnt have it. As for other hormones, EVERY food has hormones. the amount in milk is way less than SOY milk or just a head of lettuce. Plus, 90% of hormones are denatured in your stomach. Hormones are usually not given to cows unless they are trying to get pregnant. Cows that are on antibiotics are milked into a tank that does not go to the processing plant. The milk is TESTED for antibiotics and the buyers wont accept it if any is in it.

Plus, milk tastes good. It's satisfying, wholesome, and real. The substitutes like soy and almond do not have as complete of nutrition or protein (and are technically not milked, as a soy bean or an almond is not a mammal, and shouldn't be called "milk"). Soy has many additional implications and problems, as far as detrimental to the land and nutrition goes.

I have studied dairy science in college, have worked on a dairy and been to at least 10 different dairy farms in my life, in many states and in both the US and New Zealand. I know how the cows are treated, what they are given as far as medicine and hormones go (VERY minimal) and what they are fed. If anyone has questions, feel free to message me.
  • jenmcgraw
    jenmcgraw Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the info. I have tried almond milk and I do like it. I will do some research. Im leaning towards eliminating it for my girls as well.
  • jenmcgraw
    jenmcgraw Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for the other side info. as well. When the kids are at school I will definitly look up some information. I have been feeling much better since I have stoped drinking milk tho I think I do have a lactose problem or some other aversion to milk. What then do you suggest for people who cant drink milk due to stomach and digetive problems?
  • helenamonks
    Options
    Not only does cows milk have some downfalls (don't get me wrong, it also has its benefits), but according to some studies, drinking milk from cows treated with growth hormones and antibiotics (non-organic) can lead to early puberty and development in adolescents, as well as breast cancer in women.

This is what I keep hearing, but its just like everything else Americans consume, all in portions. I still drink cows milk a few times a week but i eat other stuff with calcium to keep from depleteing, if youre worried about it you can always take a supplement. I only drink cows milk b/c I find Soy Milk disgusting and havent been brave enough to try anything else yet LOL
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    its a No for me as well on cows milk..I dont do dairy products either..
  • SkierElle
    Options
    Beware of all the biased media on the internet and make sure you know your sources and look up both sides before you make any decisions. The internet is full of misinformation, especially people writing about agricultural products that have never been to a farm or ranch in their lives. The dairy farmers don't do what they do for the money, there isn't any of that in the business right now. They do it for the love of their cows, and they darn well treat them right (there are some bad apples, but the diligent, caring farmers are the majority). Unfortunately, the few negatives of the dairy industry get played up a lot more than the positives. Who is going to go on you tube looking for a video of a farmer feeding the calf its first milk, or an article about farmers tending to their cows 365 days a year through blizzards and heat to make sure they are comfortable and have enough food? No, what people see are the videos of the very FEW horrible people who don't treat their animals with respect.

I think almond milk is a good alternative if you can't have something like lactaid or just plain water, but take calcium and vitamin D supplements if you need them. I actually love almond milk so I have some of that on hand quite often, but nothing can replace real milk. Coconut milk is another option to use in recipes. However the calcium in these alternatives doesn't match up to the natural calcium in cow's milk.
  • glittersoul
    Options
    You can also buy unpasteurized milk from certain dairy farmers. However, the downside of that is how expensive it is.
  • SkierElle
    Options
    Another note following up my last comment: even by searching "cow's milk" on google, you will find about 75% links anti-milk: BIASED articles, blogs and sites. If you want to find real information on the internet, you'll need to go to a place like pubmed and find PEER REVIEWED sources and actual documented research, as well as scientific facts about nutrition and milk intake. This info is hard to come by. Beware of the false information on the internet and use your brain; question everything. Go visit a dairy farm, talk to a university professor in animal science, talk to some nutritionists, talk to some doctors, etc.
  • SkierElle
    Options
    Please beware of drinking raw milk. A downside of unpasteurized milk is that it can contain diseases like salmonella and brucellosis. This is why in most areas it is illegal to sell in stores!! Also it is said that Johnes in cattle may be associated with Chrons disease in humans. You do not want to go drinking unpasteurized milk with all this bacteria around. If you grow up on a farm and have drank milk "straight from the udder" your whole life it is another story, your body could be used to it. But think twice before you drink unpasteurized milk. It's not any better for you. The enzymes that the pasteurization kills are not even required for our digestion of milk. It's another thing to be concerned about if you visit a country that doesn't have as many food safety regulations as more developed countries. You do not want to get these diseases!
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Should we? Well, many cultures have a genetic adaptation that allows them to digest lactose:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=african-adaptation-to-dig

In fact, it's a good example of adaptive evolution:

http://www.nature.com/scitable/topicpage/evolutionary-adaptation-in-the-human-lineage-12397

Should any person individually? Completely up to them. Probably wouldn't recommend it if they're lactose intolerant.
  • mfkfoster
    mfkfoster Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    It's all in what you hear and the "lastest" finding. I do drink cow's milk but I try to get the organic kind. I don't like soy milk and I think people are taking in too much soy products and by products. It's in everything! I believe in moderation and this stuff is everywhere.
    I would read up n everything and do what's best for you. As for me I'll stick with cow's milk 2%.
  • lisapisa1
    lisapisa1 Posts: 115
    Options
    There is a book called Skinny ***** by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin. They have some interesting ideas about food/nutrition. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with their view on dairy....just passing along the info since it's related to the topic. I personally don't drink milk because I think it tastes gross, but I cook with it and do eat dairy.

One thing they mention about cow's milk and milk in general is that it's main purpose is to pack on pounds for a newborn.

Book Excerpt
    "Breast milk can grow an 8-pound newborn into a 40-pound toddler. Sounds pretty fatting, huh? It is. By design, it is intended to allow for the biggest growth spurt of a person's entire life. Breast milk alone can accomodate for 300 percent weight gain in a twelve-month period. When her child is anywhere from 12 to 24 months old, a mohter stops breast feeding. Her milk dries up. The child will never drink breast milk ever again.......Cow's milk, by design, grows a 90-pound claf into a 2,000-pound cow over the course of 2 years. It allows calves to double their birth weight in forty-seven days and leaves their four stomach feeling full. Sounds even more fattening than human milk, right? It is."