40somethings out there notice your metabolism has slowed?

Options
When I was younger I didn't have to worry about what I ate. I could make some easy adjustments and off the weight came. Now at 45 my body is hanging on to this dang weight.

I was just reading an article about how your metabolism slows after 40. I can see I really need that protein and fruits and veggies now because I can't eat as much so I dont have room for those empty calories. Anyone else see the difference? How do you eat differently now?

Replies

• jwat90
    jwat90 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. I used to be able to cut back a little and could easily drop a few lbs. Then when I turned 40 (will be 43 this yr), I noticed a definite change. But I have to say that on MFP, I have been able to lose almost 11 lbs in about a month. What helps me is to be accountable for EVERYTHING I eat, even when I just taste something. It all adds up. I log it all in my food diary. It really makes you more aware of how much you're eating. Also, it helps me to plan the night before my meal plan for the entire next day. That way when I'm hungry I know what to eat. There is no thinking about it or reaching for what is handy. I find that I am still eating all throughout the day, but just making much better low calorie choices. That way I'm full and I don't feel deprived.

You have to listen to your body. I have heard all my life that breakfast is so important in weight loss. Well, for me that is not the case. I'm usually not hungry in the morning so I might grab something really small, like crackers, to hold me over til lunch. I need to save my calories for the rest of the day because that is when I usually get really hungry. I have been able to stay under my calorie count every day now.

You just need to figure what is best for you. It's different for everybody. I hope this helps, and feel free to add me as a friend for support. I still have a long way to go, and I need all the help I can get! :smile:
  • Annesoucy1957
    Options
    yes unfortunatly it is more difficult and it will even get worse when you get to your menopause.

I stay away from rich food that have sauces, eat more grilled vegetables, cheese is a souvenir, do not use mayonnaise or full calorie salad dressing. I also reduce my portions and basically do not eat pasta unless it cannot be avoided.

Getting use to the changes, I do not miss pasta at all or mayonnaise that I now replace in my sandwich with guacamole. I do not miss the desert I replaced them with fruit.

All in all I do feel better and healthier and I must be blessed since I do not have cravings of what I removed. I do not think there are bad foods just that some of the one I was eating did contribute to my gaining weight and did not bring me enough nutrient.

One key element about losing weight as you get older is exercising, you need to do it in order to keep your muscle and bones strong.
  • karencercone1
    karencercone1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I just turned 39 and I can already tell a significant change from when I was in my early thirties!! :( I feel if I just smell or look at certain foods I gain weight! and losing it is soooooo much harder!!
  • 59gi
    59gi Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Yes, as we get older we require less food. For me eating non processed low carb helps me lose weight. My goal is to stay healthy as I lose weight. Eating protein, Fat , and carbs(healthy ones) is working great. Exercise is the frosting on the cake, by helping me lose more than a pound a week.
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Used to love that aspect in my teens, twenties, and early 30s. I was always thin and could eat almost anything I liked!!
    For a guy that loves food, and things like pizza, cheeseburgers, ribs, and beer, that was heaven.

But, yep, it changes. :)

BTW, the 80s was fun haha :) Not just the unlimited foods!
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Guy in his 50's here, sorry to tell you that it gets harder.

One of the reasons Im a gym regular is just to be able to eat more.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Some say the only reason you burn less is because you move less. I don't know. I move less, for sure.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    At 48, I can't honestly say my metabolism has slowed, but I have slowed. Still workout daily, but I no longer travel intensively for work (YAY!) and had to come to grips with the fact that other than workouts, I'm now sedentary most of the workweek. I'm a runner, and I've also had to be honest with myself about slacking off on intensity, even when I'm maintaining mileage (which I slack on sometimes, too). To go easy on my knees, I've replaced four 9-min miles with four 12-min miles interspersed with 8 hard-as-I-can-go sprints three days/wk. I used to run 4 mi in under 30 min, and I don't like being slower. I'd like to blame it on metabolism, but really, it's my activity/intensity that's to blame for burning fewer calories. On the up-side, maintaining my weight has gotten mentally easier, if physically harder.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Some say the only reason you burn less is because you move less. I don't know. I move less, for sure.

This. Said it much better than I did.
  • seidel1325
    seidel1325 Posts: 94 Member
    Options

AGAIN THIS