Been lurking for a while, time to say 'Hi!'

Options
Hi, everyone. My name's Dave. I'm 49 and live about half an hour north of Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

This year I've decided to make a number of changes in my life, as I've been unhappy for a while with the direction I've been heading. Near the top of the list is getting into shape. I've been overweight for as long as I can remember. The time has come to change that.

In the past I've tried a pretty scattered approach... reducing food intake arbitrarily, sporadically doing some exercise, and I had some success. Unfortunately, my 'no-plan' plan failed fairly quickly, and I regained the weight that I had lost. Once the weight came back, I resigned myself to accepting that I was doomed to be overweight. After all, my parents were overweight, so it must be genetic, right? At least that's what I told myself to let me off the hook.

Lately I've come to realize that this was simply me rationalizing doing nothing. Not only that, but I can change if I want it badly enough. The key is to come up with a better strategy to get me where I want to be. I've been working with a fitness coach through my company's employee assistance program, tracking my steps with a Fitbit, and tracking my food consumption with My Fitness Pal. All that it great, but what I really need is some advice and encouragement from others who have been down the path. Any takers?

Replies

• genethebean
    Options
    Hi i have not been on myfitnesspal in two or three years and am starting over again. I am 267.4 ish starting today and could do with some new friends for giving and receiving support. My weight has yoyoed for years and the loss i had last time round i've pretty much put back on. So please feel free to add as friend.

PS just got back from Canada Loved it.
  • 12bfree
    12bfree Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard! I wish you success on your journey.
  • strawmama
    strawmama Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I am a fellow "fitbit-er". I got off track recently and am slowly coming back to it. Could always use more support, feel free to add me :)
  • battink
    battink Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi Dave, welcome!
    I've been on that path and fallen off it SO many times but I'm firmly on it now. I feel like something has clicked for me this time, mostly because I've stopped looking at it as a diet with an end date, which has made a HUGE difference to the way I feel about food and fitness in general.

feel free to add me if you like :)
  • The_Godwin_72
    The_Godwin_72 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Hello- and welcome! you will totally love it once it's a habit, the habit becomes a craving and the craving leads to addiction! I track steps, do Crossfit and circuit training. my issues is food- I LOVE FOOD...
  • riderguydave
    riderguydave Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks, one and all, for the warm welcome! I'm still new at this, and I'm always looking for encouragement and ideas on how to keep myself on the right path for the long haul, and I appreciate any help you anyone can provide. Likewise, I'm more than happy to lend a hand where I can!