When should I call it a new day?

Options
Going to make this as short, sweet, and to the point as I can.

I have rapid cycle bipolar.
This means there are the occasional times where I go manic and am awake for 24-72 hours.
It's just as if it's one long day. I will be up and active the entire time, it is not like if I were sleeping and not burning as many calories.

So on days like the one I am having now, where I haven't eaten since 8 o'clock, and it is now 12:30...where I will likely be up for AT LEAST another 12 hours...where do I restart my day as far as counting calories?
Like I said, I am actively moving around and burning calories.
Also, should I add a few calories to make up for the extra calories I burn while not sleeping?

Basically, I am having horrible hunger pangs already and want to eat. Can I? rofl

Replies

• krmcbean
    krmcbean Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I was suggest just using the automatic switch that mfp does at midnight so it stays more consistent for you...or maybe focus more on the weekly calorie intake if the day by day varies a lot.

Cheers
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Honestly not trying to be an *kitten*, but if your manic episodes can keep you awake up to 72 hours.....hasn't your doctor gave you something to calm you as needed ie: xanax or something? 72 hours without sleep can send someone without chemical imbalances off the deep end.

To answer your question I would use midnight and weekly like already suggested. I have insomnia but I know I will sleep under the 24 hour mark, I had a close friend who suffered manic episodes....she constantly needed her meds changed, you need to speak with your Dr.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should see your doctor. As for the eating. I work shift work and occasionally have insomnia where I am up for 36 hours. I always found it much less confusing to start and end the day at midnight, even though it is technically still my 'day'.
  • Yoshirio
    Yoshirio Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I am bipolar as well.I count a new day from midnight.
  • PrincessPoquilaPie
    PrincessPoquilaPie Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. I will start using midnight as my mark.

Yes, I am sure a doctor could do that, if I could afford to go to one.
    Unfortunately I cannot, so it is not even an option for me to get meds because even if I could afford the doctors visit, the meds would cost too much.
  • suiteblooms
    suiteblooms Posts: 100
    Options
    Hi Princess,
    I'm a rapid cycler too. In fact I rarely go to bed before 3 am, and when I'm really manic... I'm often 48 hours. I'm no doctor, but I suggest trying to set your end of day to some type of rhythm. Midnight might work, but for me my day ends whenever I go to sleep and begins whenever I wake up. If I'm cycling on 48 hours, I just try to avoid getting to the point of starving. It's better to eat a piece of fruit and some peanut butter when you are feeling hungry and manic than to eat a whole bag of chips, a pint of ice cream and all your sister's girl scout cookies when you are STARVING, HANGRY & MANIC! There will be no one around at 2am to stop you, and when you crash you will be so hard on yourself. Or at least that is my experience. And trust me, most people are not going to understand. Your brain may not be capable of shutting off, and medicating is not always the best answer, but do your best, take your meds as regularly as you can and as prescribed, and maybe a 3am trip to the gym would help with the calorie intake / help you to sleep later when you lay down? That sometimes helps me.
    Best wishes
  • PrincessPoquilaPie
    Options
    Hi Princess,
    I'm a rapid cycler too. In fact I rarely go to bed before 3 am, and when I'm really manic... I'm often 48 hours. I'm no doctor, but I suggest trying to set your end of day to some type of rhythm. Midnight might work, but for me my day ends whenever I go to sleep and begins whenever I wake up. If I'm cycling on 48 hours, I just try to avoid getting to the point of starving. It's better to eat a piece of fruit and some peanut butter when you are feeling hungry and manic than to eat a whole bag of chips, a pint of ice cream and all your sister's girl scout cookies when you are STARVING, HANGRY & MANIC! There will be no one around at 2am to stop you, and when you crash you will be so hard on yourself. Or at least that is my experience. And trust me, most people are not going to understand. Your brain may not be capable of shutting off, and medicating is not always the best answer, but do your best, take your meds as regularly as you can and as prescribed, and maybe a 3am trip to the gym would help with the calorie intake / help you to sleep later when you lay down? That sometimes helps me.
    Best wishes

Ugh you have no idea how happy it made me that someone understands completely! (although it sucks that we have to go through these episodes) Thank you for your advice. Perhaps trying to get a good workout in when I go manic is a good idea and I will be trying this in 3...2...1...BYE! :)
  • suiteblooms
    Options
    Thank you all. I will start using midnight as my mark.

Yes, I am sure a doctor could do that, if I could afford to go to one.
    Unfortunately I cannot, so it is not even an option for me to get meds because even if I could afford the doctors visit, the meds would cost too much.

Sorry I missed this post. I totally get what it's like to be too broke to get the medical care that you need. I know that in my area, there are places that are set up to help that go on a sliding scale, but they can be frustrating with paperwork and a host of problems. As for meds, I'm on the cheapest available... good old lithium & citralopram. they have their problems, but I'm better off for taking them. I do hope you will be able to enjoy the mania - I usually do if I don't make any foolish decisions. I also hope you get through your next depression as quickly as possible. I guess basically I just wrote you again to wish you well. I know what it's like to be too stressed about money to be able to take care of your needs, and I'm sorry that is the case for you. Message me if you ever need an understanding ear. :smile: .
  • suiteblooms
    Options
    :happy: so glad that my experience could help. Have a great workout!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I have a diagnosed strange sleeping pattern (hard to explain).

Our bodies do not live and die by clocks.
    As long as you set up a pattern as consistent as possible under the circumstances, you will lose weight.
  • laurahadenough
    laurahadenough Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am so sad to read you cannot get help because you can not afford medical care.. I count my blessing to live in a country that will provide it free if you cannot afford private health.

Have you tired any natural supplements like magnesium or 5htp? I feel for you I do.. there is nothing worse than not being able to sleep
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I work 3rd shift, but I use midnight as my new day. I find it all balances out and I end up at around the same calories every day, anyway.
  • PrincessPoquilaPie
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your help and concern!
    Unfortunately I have a very addictive personality and used to abuse sleeping pills and nyquil, so I try to stay away from those things =/

I called my case worker today, though, and she is going to try to check on my medicaid application and if that goes through then I will hopefully be back on track with meds and sleeping habits soon enough.

For now I will just have to make due with all of your lovely advice :)